What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tedesco rumour

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
My thoughts are that Hunt was signed using a TPA so the cap space used would be far less than the 1m p/a. It's hard to believe that the Dragons would pay 1m of cap space for Hunt.

Desperate clubs do ridiculously desperate things.

Remember, the Dragons haven't been successful since 2011, have a stagnant membership base, and also a reputation that no one wants to coach them (i.e. Cleary). Add these scenarios to a 'coach', plus a lot of players who have declined the club's advances, and you have a situation that I have described as above.

What you've suggested isn't (sadly) beyond the realms of possibly.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Speaking on Foxtel, journalist Paul Kent has repeatedly mentioned both Canterbury and Easts apropos Tedesco.....not a single mention of Saints.

If there was the remotest chance he was coming, you would think Kent would disclose the possibility.

Tedesco ain't coming, folks.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Yeah, I am disappointed that Saints were not mentioned as suitors of Tedesco too. I am still hoping that we are in the running to sign Tedesco. When we signed Widdop and Hunt, there was no talk of it until it had been signed. Saints do like to keep things to themselves. The question is can we compete with Easts (Politis) and Canterbury and their 3rd party payments. I don't like our chances.

If there are any really wealthy Saints fans out there reading this who want Teddy in our team, approach Saints very quickly and offer to be a 3rd party donor for Teddy's signature. lol I would if I was extremely wealthy already.

We need a 3rd party recruitment drive. We need our version of Brisbane's Thoroughbreds. I am serious. I see this as our biggest problem that should now have been sorted, solved, rectified. If we can not compete with the likes of Canterbury, Easts, Brisbane etc off the field, then it makes it much more difficult to compete with them on the field.

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
Heard on the radio today that the Rorters stated they have space under the cap to fit him in!

Unbelievable.....
Speaking on Foxtel, journalist Paul Kent has repeatedly mentioned both Canterbury and Easts apropos Tedesco.....not a single mention of Saints.

If there was the remotest chance he was coming, you would think Kent would disclose the possibility.

Tedesco ain't coming, folks.
He never was.

possm

Coach
Yeah, I am disappointed that Saints were not mentioned as suitors of Tedesco too. I am still hoping that we are in the running to sign Tedesco. When we signed Widdop and Hunt, there was no talk of it until it had been signed. Saints do like to keep things to themselves. The question is can we compete with Easts (Politis) and Canterbury and their 3rd party payments. I don't like our chances.

If there are any really wealthy Saints fans out there reading this who want Teddy in our team, approach Saints very quickly and offer to be a 3rd party donor for Teddy's signature. lol I would if I was extremely wealthy already.

We need a 3rd party recruitment drive. We need our version of Brisbane's Thoroughbreds. I am serious. I see this as our biggest problem that should now have been sorted, solved, rectified. If we can not compete with the likes of Canterbury, Easts, Brisbane etc off the field, then it makes it much more difficult to compete with them on the field.
Yes it could be called 'Dragon Fire Group'. Sponsors / advertisers of WIN, local business and fans / supports should be invited to join this Group.

barry

Juniors
Instead of going hard for tedesco, why don't we focus on resigning Dugan (who would be cheaper then tedesco by about 200k)

Release Widdop and go hard for Foran?

Or

Go hard for Tedesco and keep Widdop

I think I'd rather Foran and Dugan

possm

Coach
I'm sure there are many options and my only worry is that we are tied to an inflexible pathways plan built on uncertain assumptions.

If Widdop is to stay sign him. We we can't extend him at the right price, sign one of the other five-eighths coming off contract. Mary has already determined that Mann is not worth a run in the halves and that Field and Dufty are not ready. So put them in the 'lets see how they go' column on Millward's white board, re-do our cap plan and buy someone before they're all gone elsewhere.

Red V for life

Juniors
What is the latest on Widdop? He is forever linked to the ESL...but I haven't heard much (if anything) about his contract renewal (unlike Duges).

I remember someone here said they had spoken to his parents and he desperately wanted out.

He looks happy now so I wonder if he knows where he is going OR is just loving his footy in a team going well ATM.

MilanDragon

Juniors
The only thing I heard a while back was we made him an offer lower than he expected or wanted. There was a few comments at the start of the season that there was no hurry and both sides were waiting on the new salary cap.

Is signimg Ben hunt for big $$ means Dugan and Widdop want more too.

Crush

Coach
Re-sign Dugan, let widdop go.
Spend widdop money on a quality centre.
1. Dugan
6. Field
7. Hunt
9. McInnes
Add a bit of pace out wide with our current forward pack and thats top 4

possm

Coach
What is the latest on Widdop? He is forever linked to the ESL...but I haven't heard much (if anything) about his contract renewal (unlike Duges).

I remember someone here said they had spoken to his parents and he desperately wanted out.

He looks happy now so I wonder if he knows where he is going OR is just loving his footy in a team going well ATM.
I'd say every player will play to their best ability when playing for an extension or a new contract from another club. The fact our forwards are playing so well and that the former game plans have all been scrapped would also make him smile.

blacksafake

First Grade
Tedesco was imo never coming.He does appear to be on the move to the roosters or dogs, this much seems obvious.If this is the case then don't be surprised if the tigers have a go at Duges as they'll have Tedescos money for him which i'd assume would be more than what we are offering.I hope we do keep Duges & Widdop as i believe with the addition of Hunt we will have a good spine.The other fly in the ointment looks to be Reynolds to the sharks,Bird to the knights & Maloney shopped around.IF Widdop is not signed would the club then attempt to sign Maloney who would tick all the boxes especially his kicking.

possm

Coach
Re-sign Dugan, let widdop go.
Spend widdop money on a quality centre.
1. Dugan
6. Field
7. Hunt
9. McInnes
Add a bit of pace out wide with our current forward pack and thats top 4
This may well be how it all ends up. I was all for slotting Field into 6 for 2018 but now I have been convinced it is best to test him and let him earn his spot through stand out performances in reserve grade.

It seems the Club is stuck on playing Dugan and Lafai in the centres and using our pathway juniors as backup in reserve grade. This would result in Milne and Mann getting the flick at years end. If we were going to use Dugan at fullback surely we would put Milne at centre mainly because Aitken needs more development with his defensive reads and lateral movement.

So no, I'd keep Widdop or buy a great five-eighth to give the side very chance to win each game in 2018. Slot Field in the first grade line up after he proves to be outstanding in reserve grade and when our five-eighth is injured or on rep duty. Just look at our line up for this weeks game against Manly. Would you slot Field or even Dufty in at fullback? Mary won't and it appears he won't even slot Mann at fullback.

I'm sure if Widdop were injured, Mary would not play Field at 6, he would most likely play Mann at 6. Why because Field and other pathways contenders aren't ready.

Crush

Coach
Tedesco was imo never coming.He does appear to be on the move to the roosters or dogs, this much seems obvious.If this is the case then don't be surprised if the tigers have a go at Duges as they'll have Tedescos money for him which i'd assume would be more than what we are offering.I hope we do keep Duges & Widdop as i believe with the addition of Hunt we will have a good spine.The other fly in the ointment looks to be Reynolds to the sharks,Bird to the knights & Maloney shopped around.IF Widdop is not signed would the club then attempt to sign Maloney who would tick all the boxes especially his kicking.
YES PLEASE TO MALONEY
Imagine Maloney and Hunt, that is a premiership winning team

On what planet would we be insane enough to shop Maloney around? Not gonna happen

Crush

Coach
This may well be how it all ends up. I was all for slotting Field into 6 for 2018 but now I have been convinced it is best to test him and let him earn his spot through stand out performances in reserve grade.

It seems the Club is stuck on playing Dugan and Lafai in the centres and using our pathway juniors as backup in reserve grade. This would result in Milne and Mann getting the flick at years end. If we were going to use Dugan at fullback surely we would put Milne at centre mainly because Aitken needs more development with his defensive reads and lateral movement.

So no, I'd keep Widdop or buy a great five-eighth to give the side very chance to win each game in 2018. Slot Field in the first grade line up after he proves to be outstanding in reserve grade and when our five-eighth is injured or on rep duty. Just look at our line up for this weeks game against Manly. Would you slot Field or even Dufty in at fullback? Mary won't and it appears he won't even slot Mann at fullback.

I'm sure if Widdop were injured, Mary would not play Field at 6, he would most likely play Mann at 6. Why because Field and other pathways contenders aren't ready.
It seems to me that if Dugan stays it will definitely be at fullback. If the club sees him as a centre then he will not be re-signed because Dugan sees himself as a fullback.
Id really like to see just what these two guys Mann and Milne can do once and for all otherwise they will leave at the end of the year. I think though it is going to take injuries unfortunately to get them in the team as the club seems hellbent on lafai and aitken as the starting centres and Nighty and MacDonald as the wingers.
Obviously they dont rate either of them too highly because even though Mann scored a bunch of tries on the wing they went and bought another winger and even though Milne did a good job of replacing Lafai they brought lafai straight back in when he was fit again.
If I were Mann and Milne Id be out the door and signing with another club

Latest posts