What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tedesco rumour

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I thought a rugby league team had 13 players not 26 v 13, but ignorance is bliss.
So Ennis/Maloney/Barba/Gallen/Bird and Co were all Sharks juniors that helped them get there first premiership. The Sharks will never ever have the rich history our club has.
The merge guaranteed us a strong junior base and at the 11 million from the NRL.
Forever live the Big Red V!

A few corrections for the sake of being finicky:

1. not one of the above mentioned players are Cronulla "juniors", especially Bird who hails from the Illawarra.

2. The Dragons did NOT merge with Illawarra (nor anyone else for that matter) at the conclusion of the 1998 season. SGI is a joint venture, which is something entirely, legally different.

3. Continually perpetuating this erroneous statement would mean that the Dragons have lost its 15 premierships. Of course, all of us...and including anyone with half a brain....knows this isn't true.

4. The "St. Merge" taunt from Sharks' fans illustrates their lack of cognitive ability. Also, jealousy is a distinct curse. Personally, I like to remind the 'Hobbits' that their club is only in existence because: a) of the Dragons and b) it prostituted itself to an ex Australian media mogul while chasing his filthy lucre.

A few corrections for the sake of being finicky:

1. not one of the above mentioned players are Cronulla "juniors", especially Bird who hails from the Illawarra.

2. The Dragons did NOT merge with Illawarra (nor anyone else for that matter) at the conclusion of the 1998 season. SGI is a joint venture, which is something entirely, legally different.

3. Continually perpetuating this erroneous statement would mean that the Dragons have lost its 15 premierships. Of course, all of us...and including anyone with half a brain....knows this isn't true.

4. The "St. Merge" taunt from Sharks' fans illustrates their lack of cognitive ability. Also, jealousy is a distinct curse. Personally, I like to remind the 'Hobbits' that their club is only in existence because: a) of the Dragons and b) it prostituted itself to an ex Australian media mogul while chasing his filthy lucre.
Hahaha FMD some people on both sides take all this crap far too seriously.

possm

Coach
Someone should tell these Shark fans that in the 60s most rugby league supports in Cronulla and surrounding districts followed the St George Dragons. In my opinion the Cronulla / Southerland Club was formed to dilute the dominance of St George - 11 consecutive Grand Final wins.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Someone should tell these Shark fans that in the 60s most rugby league supports in Cronulla and surrounding districts followed the St George Dragons. In my opinion the Cronulla / Southerland Club was formed to dilute the dominance of St George - 11 consecutive Grand Final wins.

Yep.

No no no. It was disgruntled people from within StGeorge that did it.

Put it like this. If the good guys at Board and Management at STI said that's it, piss off Doust and the wanker Board Members and had NRL ok to start say the Menai Nasterbators, would you blame them?

Bad example I know, but sometime success causes rifts and I think you will find we are the little brothers because we are kinda born from your former big arsed mummy club.

possm

Coach
No no no. It was disgruntled people from within StGeorge that did it.

Put it like this. If the good guys at Board and Management at STI said that's it, piss off Doust and the wanker Board Members and had NRL ok to start say the Menai Nasterbators, would you blame them?

Bad example I know, but sometime success causes rifts and I think you will find we are the little brothers because we are kinda born from your former big arsed mummy club.
The governing body at the time was made up of delegates of participating clubs who were all jealous and sick to death of the Dragons winning GF after GF. They could have established an extra club anywhere in Australia but decided to dilute the most dominant Club in rugby league history with the establishment of a club right in between the St George District and the Dragons Nursery - Illawarra.

It didn't stop there, the four tackle rule was introduced in order to limit the influence of the huge St George forward pack on the game of rugby league.

The governing body at the time was made up of delegates of participating clubs who were all jealous and sick to death of the Dragons winning GF after GF. They could have established an extra club anywhere in Australia but decided to dilute the most dominant Club in rugby league history with the establishment of a club right in between the St George District and the Dragons Nursery Illawarra.

It didn't stop there, the four tackle rule was introduced in order to limit the influence of the huge St George forward pack on the game of rugby league.
Good info Pos.

Really, in the big scheme of things, does it really twist your knickers 50 years on?

possm

Coach
Yep, I cried for hours when they lost the semi final match against Canterbury / Bankstown in 1967. I was 13 at the time.

red rocket

Juniors
I

i think mind games have been playing out. Flanno' comments on Renolds (god Noooooo) designed to say, our offer is fair for the role you play etc etc. want you to stay, you are important to us, but take Newy if that's what you want to do, we will move on.

Bird needs to consider if moving to Newy and playing 5/8 will diminish his prospects of playing origin. He may need to think about the loss of that income versus the two offers, or offers from others.

A big decision for the kid.

He is an awesome talent, natural footy player and would love him to stay, but if he goes (no matter who to) I wish him every success. He will always be one of they guys that brought the Sharks their first premiership.
No one has mentioned who the storm are going to go a hunting. Could change everything

Old Timer

Coach
The governing body at the time was made up of delegates of participating clubs who were all jealous and sick to death of the Dragons winning GF after GF. They could have established an extra club anywhere in Australia but decided to dilute the most dominant Club in rugby league history with the establishment of a club right in between the St George District and the Dragons Nursery - Illawarra.

Sorry Possm have to disagree with you here IMO the suggestion by journos that these thing happened to hamper St George are journalistic fairy tales.
The NSWRL was under constant pressure in the early 60's to expand the Sydney comp.
Wentworthville and Ryde Eastwood were always pushing for a promotion and relegation system and a combined Newcastle side had been offered up as well.
The Sydney RL clubs especially Parramatta were not going to have a bar of Wenty and Ryde Eastwood eating into their nurseries so they were left on the outer and there was no chance that Sydney were going to have a bar of a combined Newcastle club as they often had high representation in the Country sides and also got to play against touring sides so Sydney clubs were never going to risk them being let in.
Penrith was considered viable as it was little more than hill billy country with a small population nowhere near what it is today and would have to spend years developing a proper junior nursery to even look like being competitive.
They couldn't promote just 1 team and have a bye so with all the other Sydney clubs being severely land locked St George who were drawing from the newly developing shire and the Illawarra had no real southern boundary so were also a viable option to have the expansion of an extra club and as is evidenced with the length of time it took them to get a premiership the theory to let them into the comp with minimal impact proved correct.
In respect of the 4 tackle rule it was first introduced in England by Bill Fallowfield who ran the International RL and we were forced to accept it as the international rule so why would you have a different domestic competition if you wanted to be able to play international football?
If anybody was looking for an advantage it was England not other Sydney clubs.

Just went for a bit of a look on sharks forum. Why is it that sharks bang on and on about us being a merged club? If dragons win they say it took two clubs to beat us. Really? I don't know why but the ST MERGE call seems to be a Sharkies thing. No other rival opponents use this ST MERGE.
I think its a bit stupid after all these years.

Cronulla Sutherland sounds like two areas coming together just like St George Illawarra.

Old Timer

Coach
Cronulla - Sutherland is a bit like the middle east conflict and creates a land divide between St George and the Illawarra.
Maybe it should have been St George Cronulla and Illawarra Sutherland or St George Sutherland and Cronulla Illawarra?

Bench
And of course the 4 tackle rule was imposed to stop us. The NRL then introduced the cap which is to prevent teams to string premierships together.

Latest posts