What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frizell replacement

hewi

Bench
I'm jumping the gun here a bit but figure he won't be risked for at least one game possibly two, so thoughts on his replacement please. I'm thinking Sims goes back to second row and Kerr gets a go. But there's also Havili who could give McInnes a bit of relief as well. There's also Sele who by all accounts did well, lots of options. Would like to hear others opinions please?

The Doc

Juniors
This.

Close the thread.
How did Host do in NSW cup?
Im not so sure it will be this easy of a selection.
Im leaning for Simms to replace Frizz and Kerr getting a call up to the bench.
Id say Seles effort yesterday would have given Mary the belief that its ok to bring up the young guys... they actually can handle first grade.

watatank

Coach
If Host then why was he not named on the bench yesterday? Form gone off? I don't know just wondering.

Host has only been used sparingly in first grade in that role playing middle and edge forward. Giving Sele a shot in the middle with those minutes (and Sims able to play on the edge a little bit) wouldn't be that big a leap.

But if Frizell is unavailable that gives Host an opportunity to play longer minutes in that spot and Sims to fill in the edge when needed.

mobels

Juniors
I'd put Host in, Host has proven he can play great at Frizz's spot last year, and I wouldn't be messing with our prop rotation by moving Sims to second row. Especially when thats been our greatest strength.

Reactions: jak

ALSGI

Bench
It's a nice problem to have, Host, Sele, Kerr all in the mix.
If Frizz is in any doubt, I'd rest him and give Kerr a crack against the Cows.
We're bound to lose atleast 2 forwards in SOO, if not more so these 3 need some time in FG.

mickeylane

Bench
I'd put Host in, Host has proven he can play great at Frizz's spot last year, and I wouldn't be messing with our prop rotation by moving Sims to second row. Especially when thats been our greatest strength.
he played 2nd row yesterday hence why he was amazing ...
Simms will come into starting line up for sure to play his old club
Sele
Masoe (need 2nd prop)
Ah Mau
Milne or Field

MilanDragon

Juniors
Sele
Masoe (need 2nd prop)
Ah Mau
Milne or Field

Host or Kerr before Masoe. By all reports he hasn't been great in reserves.

Host was dropped to get more minutes rather than form based. So makes sense to bring him back in as he'll get the minutes.

BennyV

Referee
How did Host do in NSW cup?
Im not so sure it will be this easy of a selection.
Im leaning for Simms to replace Frizz and Kerr getting a call up to the bench.
Id say Seles effort yesterday would have given Mary the belief that its ok to bring up the young guys... they actually can handle first grade.
Host was 'dropped' to get more minutes. Mary has stated that He wants Simms in the middle and Host has earned the right to be first called up on the edge, which is his natural position.

There's a difference between middle and edge players (which many people don't seem to get) but Host deserves that spot.

mobels

Juniors
Sele
Masoe (need 2nd prop)
Ah Mau
Milne or Field
Masoe is the worst player in the club under a contract at this point in time and will not get close to playing first grade this year.

Messing with the prop rotation would be a massive mistake, especially when we have a servicable replacement in Host to take Frizz's spot for the week.

Old Timer

Coach
Sele
Masoe (need 2nd prop)
Ah Mau
Milne or Field
Masoe is a passenger in reggies.
Limited time and very limited impact far better options than him.
Our speed up front, long play minutes and mobility of the big men (Vaughan is a cracker) has given us a huge advantage so why change it?
Masoe was heralded as a big (I'll give him that he is big) signing, unfortunately got injured and more unfortunately is not good enough to play 1st grade at this time and perhaps never will be.

hewi

Bench
Masoe is a passenger in reggies.
Limited time and very limited impact far better options than him.
Our speed up front, long play minutes and mobility of the big men (Vaughan is a cracker) has given us a huge advantage so why change it?
Masoe was heralded as a big (I'll give him that he is big) signing, unfortunately got injured and more unfortunately is not good enough to play 1st grade at this time and perhaps never will be.

Would be very disappointing but things have changed with the interchange, that's why I think Kerr has the build to be successful. Maybe Mason won't be resigned at the end of the season.

Old Timer

Coach
Would be very disappointing but things have changed with the interchange, that's why I think Kerr has the build to be successful. Maybe Mason won't be resigned at the end of the season.
Many in here got super excited about Masoe.
Others cautiously said he's been out a long time with injury, been in the ESL and not part of the NRL for years so maybe won't make it.
Injury has certainly hampered it all, but time for the club to make tough decisions and hopefully Masoe maybe gets a gig at Newcastle or Gold Coast.
I am curious also about Willy Manu not sure how that all came about?
No doubt people will say well he is handy now with a few injuries and SOO coming up but I shudder how we make those decisions when fare better options are available.
Look at the Cowboys developing that man mountain Coen Hess who is just enormous value and looks unbelievably dedicated and we pick Leilua at 5/8 and then people in here tout him as being ready for 1st grade no comparison.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Host will be first choice picked as Friz's replacement.

As far as Masoe, he will unlikely see any NRL time with the Dragons, his boat has sailed unfortunately.

Given who has been "selected" in the 21 each week, you would have to assume that Leilua then young Lawrie would be next after Host to get a run. Havilli should also come into consideration given his versatility. Kerr has been improving each week in reggies and his stats show that, however, he's a few months off being considered for 1st grade IMO.

All could change very quickly with a few injuries, so these guys who are playing in reserve grade need to put in each week and show they're ready when/if they're called upon.