What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wrestling Podcasts

Iafeta

Referee
Since I'm on the road a lot with work I've had time to start getting into wrestling podcasts. I've been listening to five, my thoughts below

WHW What Happened When with Tony Schiavone. Love hearing old WCW stories, but the co host Conrad Thompson nearly completely ruins it for me. The guy is just fascinated with Tony's sex life to the point it appears he's pervertedly living vicariously through it. Weird.

Bischoff on Wrestling. Eric is a massive WWE sycophant these days. To Eric titles etc are just props and wrestling is just a soap opera. His favourite line "I... I honestly don't remember", which is always said where in hindsight WCW completely ballsed up.

MSL and Sullivan. Kevin Sullivan recaps booking decisions from 20 years prior. Really good to get an insight into his booking. He's pretty fair minded IMO.

The Jim Cornette Experience. Man, this guy is a left wing crack pot. Cornette hates on McMahon and Russo relentlessly destroying kayfabe. Is cool though to hear basic stories of how to build heat and then use that heat to get the faces a payoff.

OSW Old School Wrestling Review. The BEST podcast ever. Funny as hell. Bunch of Irish lads reviewing old wrestling, their cut ups of WWF in the 80s is magic. Strongly recommend this one.

Anyone else listened to wrasslin podcasts?

Hawkins

Juniors
Yes

I subscribe to the Torch, Dot Net and Observer. I also enjoy the MLW family you mentioned above.

Colt Cabanna, What a Maneuver, Wrestlezone, Cheep Heat, Edge and Christian,Live audio wrestling, How 2 wrestling / attitude era, betwwen the ropes, Steve Austin, Jericho, keep it 100 (konnan's show) and I'm about ready to cancel Raven's new show cause he's a wank.

Wato

Juniors
Really enjoy the Inside the Ropes podcast with their weekly recaps of raw and smackdown plus their PPV reviews are quite good and if your support them on Pateron they do podcasts discussing retro raws and PPVs in the attitude era alongside some cool career retrospectives.

Iafeta

Referee
I've listened to some of Austin. The Rip Rogers interviews were really interesting. Raven I heard was trying to not be wrestling based? Maybe trying to be too clever?

I'd like to try the 605 Super Podcast but man those episodes are like 4 hours long. If he cut them down to 2 hours I would love to hear stories from the territory's.

I genuinely can't listen to OSW at the gym because I laugh so hard I'm scared I'll drop a barbell or something and hurt myself. Those blokes are amazing.

The one I'm enjoying the most at the moment is Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard. I also really like Killing the Town with Lance Storm & Cyrus and The E&C Pod of Awesomeness has been good so far too.

Others I regularly listen to are Talk is Jericho, The Steve Austin Show, and The Ross Report. But only their wrestling based ones, when they have non-wrestlers on I find them a bit too niche for me.

If The Jim Cornette Experience is talking about old wrestling I will listen to it, but if he's talking about modern wrestling or politics then I give it a miss.

Iafeta

Referee
Have any of you blokes listened to New Generation Era ? I thought they did a good job covering Survivor Series 1997 in particular.

The Vantage Point is good, but they're like popsicles and lollipops. Really positive and not really critical.

Actually Is Wrestling Fixed with Bill Apter is also cool. His old time interviews are amazing. Hearing Rick Rude for example when he's just starting out is really awesome.

Last edited:

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Funny this was thread was made, the last week or so I've discovered podcasts (makes me feel so old)
I've been listening to a few different ones - Ross Report, The Steve Austin one and Vince Russo. The current one I'm listening to is the Fantasy Wrestling Guide To Booking (or similar). Two non business guys just talk wrestling, and how they would book things.

I personally the prefer the fantasy booking type than talking about RAW/SD though. I do like listening about PPVs and things like the superstar shakeup

Big Pete

Referee
I could write a novel on the podcasts I've listened to...

Wrestling Observer (2010 - now, also like to listen to old interviews from 99/00)
Art of Wrestling (2010-2013. Some good independent stories)
Wrestling Podclash (2011-13. Basically the Australian version of Art of Wrestling.)

Podcast 1 Network (2013 - Now I've got all of them on my feed, but I go through phases with each wrestler. Right now I'm all about Killing The Town & The Raven Effect.)

Between The Sheets (Bix and Zellner go through the week that was in a certain period, going through all the different stories in each newsletter with incredible detail. It's a huge slog, but there's some great conversations there and I've learned a lot listening to what they have to say).

I also catch every OSW Review when it comes out. Great show, the editing is top notch and some of the banter is genuinely hilarious. I used to listen to the Attitude Era podcast which had it's moments and is worth listening to if you want to relive the show. I haven't caught any of their 2000 era shows, but from I gather they became more political as the show went on which could be horrible if it's anything like Cornette's podcast.

Iafeta

Referee
Listened to the 605 Super Podcast episode on the Chicago scene. But fast forwarded through the 2.5hr preamble. They then had a historian on - amazing. Listened to promos from the 60s with the Crusher, Dick the Bruiser, Mad Dog Vachon, Verne Gagne. Then they talked about Ox Baker. Apparently two men died after matches with Ox, non kayfabe had nothing to do with Ox. But kayfabe they talked it up as being a result of his heart punch. The Heat he got was huge. One time he gave Ernie Ladd five straight heart punches and the crowd rioted because they genuinely thought a man was being killed before their very eyes. Incredible how much heat you could build as a heel.

Then I've listened to Dinner with the King. Jerry Lawler talking about Andy Kaufman. And how he had the Mid South Coliseum selling out in record time and causing riot like scenes with his Intergender Championship shtick. His promos are absolutely outrageous.

I don't think in today's day and age of nationalised TV promotions, the breaking of kayfabe, social media, the dirt sheets you could ever build a heel to be hated so much that a baby face gets enormous popularity by chasing villainous heels.

Iafeta

Referee
I'd be doing you all a disservice if I didn't mention the Lapsed Fan. Super hilarious promo rip offs of the highest order.

I have listened to quite a few. I remember way back in the day (could've even been the 90s) when lance storm used to live stream a show (I think?) memory is hazy

Of the current batch I mostly stick to mlw. I listened to Austin for a while but I find his presentation really annoying. About 10% is good and the rest is missable. Also deleted the bischoff podcast as the guy is just so out for himself. Has a Bonafide hard on for himself and Jason Hervey...yawn. I deleted the Ric flair podcast for similar reasons. Predictable rubbish most of the time

I love what happened when and something to wrestle with. Conrad does a good job with both of them. Schiavone is hilarious - do yourself a favour. Pritchard is incredibly funny with his impressions as well - you put the chicken in...you know haha

Jim cornette is great, although sometimes he goes a bit too old school with his guests and I tune out. Brian Last seems harmless enough, don't love or hate him.

His childhood best friend Kenny Bolin is brilliant. If you've never listened to the bolin alley, you're missing out.

I love MSL and Sullivan. Sullivan is such a freak with his knowledge and MSL is entertaining as well.

I also like listening to court Bauer and Alex greenfield when they are on the air. The MLW flagship show is always good

Like konnan and disco, but sometimes they go on random tangents for half an hour which can get hard to follow

Never really listened to JR. I feel like I already am at max - that's at least 10hrs a week already with the above

Johnny88

Juniors
Enjoy the wrestling podcasts. Always listen to Something to wrestle with Bruce Pritchard and WHW with Conrad and Tony. Those two would be my favourites.

Just listened to Marty Scurll's interview on the Steve Austin podcast, and that has to be the most genuine I've ever heard a bloke on one of these across any podcast. Well worth a listen.

Love konnans keepin100 and the two Conrad Thompson podcasts mlw radio is great too court bauer is an ex wwe head writer and has great perspective on the business side of things without the hyperbole Russo is funny,killing the town with storm and Cyrus and don tony Kevin castle show round out my list

Evil_Mush

Juniors
I rang in on the Taz Show once, was cool but also really weird to actually be engaged in discussion with him haha!

Was about a week before the WWE Auckland show last year and I thought I'd ask about the commentary he did for the first ever WWE NZ show in Wellington which aired on 24/7 back in 2006. Good times.

Been out of the podcast loop for a while since my phone headphone jack stopped working, JR/Austin/Jericho/Taz were my staples, enjoyed the Flair and Piper ones on occasion (as rambling as they were). Have caught bits and pieces of others already mentioned, will have to catch the likes of Pritchard and Schiavone, enjoyed them as guests on other shows.