What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The very best - fullbacks

Vee

First Grade
my time watching the greatest game of all goes back to the 1981 season. So many great players, so many wonderful memories.

Thought I'd just recount some of the best I've seen.

The first great fullback I can recall is Garry Jack. I only saw Graham Eddie towards the end of his career and, while he still had his moments, the wonderful Parramatta backline could make him look ponderous and leadfooted at times. Jack only got the Australian jersey over Colin Scott initially because his club coach, Cranky Frank Stanton, was also the Aussie coach. Jack was even given the long kicking role to help justify his selection. Anyway, it turned out alright as he was a great hole runner who fought hard in every tackle. Best of all, he was the first player I saw who could save certain tries by rolling the ball carrier onto his back and preventing them getting the ball down in a manner later made famous by Matt Sing.

Gar Belcher was next, a stylish fullback who complimented the great Canberra, Qld and Australian back lines of his day. Tim Brasher was a hard-running competitive bloke with pace and mongrel. Brett Mullins was The Natural, a wonderful free-flowing speedster who could light up any game though my favourite memory of him was the day he broke the North Sydney line in the shadow of his own posts and was going to ruin the length for all money until Matt Seers turned and chased from scratch, dragging him down just short. Such was Mullen's speed, no-one ever thought we'd see him run down in a straight sprint.

Lockyer most on here would remember started as an electric fullback who ghosted through the line, he was the first to pioneer the role of the modern ball-playing fullback. David Peachey should have played more rep football, he floated across the ground rarely looking hurried.

Billy Slater was the first of the outstanding crop currently playing. His speed and energy were new as well as his intelligence and the manner he directed the defensive line, similar to Lockyer, introducing a new skill for the modern players to learn. Inglis with his size and power before injuries curtailed his very best was very scary, but he, like Meninga in his day, lacked the involvement of a Slater but, boy oh boy, when he got angry, there often wasn't much the opposition could do to stop him.

I would have liked to see more of ET at fullback where he started, I thought he could have been anything but he became a fairly handy centre so I'll mention him there.

Probably forgotten a few good ones, Paul Hauff was the best for a couple of years with his height and ability in the air but he didn't last as long as those above. A favourite memory of him was Greg Alexander playing fullback for NSW and breaking the line on the 20m line on an angled run for the corner. Hauff had him covered so Brandy threw a bewildering series of stop-start goose steps in to try and upset him, anyone of which would have been good enough to have most fullbacks fall flat on their face. But Hauff was at the height of his powers and form at the time, and adjusted effortlessly, swallowing Brandy up and monstering him into touch. Him at his very best, few could have matched it.

Remind me who I've forgotten.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Braith Anasta

52252-George-Carlin--This-Is-Why-We-t9bE.jpeg

11Straight

Juniors
Brett Mullins in that Canberra 94 team was poetry in motion.
That was the best team that I have ever seen play in my time.

Latest posts