What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knightsrebuild - time to do something.

otori

Juniors
Matt Gidley has reached out to Mac and I offering to catch up beefore Christmas to give us an update on progress and open issues.

Its very generous of him and proactive so full credit to him.

We'll try and do it in a week or so, just waiting for confirmation on timing.

Any specific questions anyone wants asked beyond the current open issues?

Good to see he's keen but obviously they have some good news now.

I'd be interested in his broader thoughts on private ownership and whether he thinks the NRLs current struggles will affect our sale.

Silent Knight

First Grade
I'd be curious to know what strategies Mids is considering to boost crowd engagement and numbers at Knights home games. I think the best thing Mids could do is hop on a plane to New York City and go to a Yankees game. Their crowd engagement is brilliant. I also have an American friend who told me that going to an NFL game in his hometown of Indianapolis was more than just going to a game, it was a community. The Knights really need to build that sense of community, of belonging. Here are some ideas I would propose based on what I've seen/heard:

1. Develop a new team promo song to replace "this game is our game". Look I have a soft spot for this song but it's been getting played for nigh on 20 years now and in my opinion the song is now old and stale. I think one of the best things the Knights could do is to make a concerted push at targeting youth. What better way to target youth than with a hip hop group? I would suggest maybe Hilltop Hoods or Bliss N Eso to come up with a Knights themed song. Put the song up on a large video screen(s) with images of Knights players doing freakish things (e.g. the Jake Mamo flick back, the Timana Tahu slam dunk, Joeys banana kick). Make the video slick and modern.

2. Have a free BBQ out the front for the fans before the game. Ask if some of the players would be willing to cook sausages at the BBQ, so they can engage with the fans. It may be a bit of an additional expense, but the club would be building goodwill with the fans.

3. Novelty activities that target fans in the stand. The Americans have kiss cam and dance like a lunatic if the camera falls on you in the stands. They might sound silly but are a great way to keep fans amused and engaged.

4. Diversify the food offerings. Don't just go with the same old meat pie and coke routine. Link up with some independent businesses and ask if they would be interested in setting up a stand at the game e..g German sausage hut.

5. Build a hall of fame room to commemorate the Knights greatest players. Old Boys Day is a good concept but it's not enough. Why don't we have a lasting monument to the greatness of the 1997 and 2001 Grand Final victories? Why aren't our grand final trophies on display? Why don't we have a video screen set up in our hall of fame showing the epic battles between Chief Harrogan and Spud Carroll? Our past is our strength, we should tap into it to inspire future Knights players and fans.

Please note that I'm living up in Brisbane and haven't been back to Newcastle for a few years now, so if things have changed feel free to correct me. Also I think the ownership issue will need to be sorted first before anything like the above can be considered.

Burwood

Bench
I love the ideas, but think that there will be a few significant hurdles to overcome in regards to food and existing contracts with Wests. It would be great if they had half a dozen food trucks in there with a good variety of offerings. I was watching the cricket yesterday being played at Canberra and they had seafood and souvlaki shops.

And I agree about targeting the younger generation. It sounds silly, but I think that the number of teens that stopped going to games after the stadium redevelopment would be quite high simply because they could no longer walk around the concourse and perve or be perved at by other teens.

The cricket would probably be one of the best sports to look at in terms of crowd engagement- it isn't easy to keep the crowd occupied when the game has so much down time.

Burns

First Grade
Wests don't currently have the contract for catering? I worked there up until last week, and we had nothing to do with the stadium.

I'd be curious to know what strategies Mids is considering to boost crowd engagement and numbers at Knights home games. I think the best thing Mids could do is hop on a plane to New York City and go to a Yankees game. Their crowd engagement is brilliant. I also have an American friend who told me that going to an NFL game in his hometown of Indianapolis was more than just going to a game, it was a community. The Knights really need to build that sense of community, of belonging. Here are some ideas I would propose based on what I've seen/heard:

1. Develop a new team promo song to replace "this game is our game". Look I have a soft spot for this song but it's been getting played for nigh on 20 years now and in my opinion the song is now old and stale. I think one of the best things the Knights could do is to make a concerted push at targeting youth. What better way to target youth than with a hip hop group? I would suggest maybe Hilltop Hoods or Bliss N Eso to come up with a Knights themed song. Put the song up on a large video screen(s) with images of Knights players doing freakish things (e.g. the Jake Mamo flick back, the Timana Tahu slam dunk, Joeys banana kick). Make the video slick and modern.

2. Have a free BBQ out the front for the fans before the game. Ask if some of the players would be willing to cook sausages at the BBQ, so they can engage with the fans. It may be a bit of an additional expense, but the club would be building goodwill with the fans.

3. Novelty activities that target fans in the stand. The Americans have kiss cam and dance like a lunatic if the camera falls on you in the stands. They might sound silly but are a great way to keep fans amused and engaged.

4. Diversify the food offerings. Don't just go with the same old meat pie and coke routine. Link up with some independent businesses and ask if they would be interested in setting up a stand at the game e..g German sausage hut.

5. Build a hall of fame room to commemorate the Knights greatest players. Old Boys Day is a good concept but it's not enough. Why don't we have a lasting monument to the greatness of the 1997 and 2001 Grand Final victories? Why aren't our grand final trophies on display? Why don't we have a video screen set up in our hall of fame showing the epic battles between Chief Harrogan and Spud Carroll? Our past is our strength, we should tap into it to inspire future Knights players and fans.

Please note that I'm living up in Brisbane and haven't been back to Newcastle for a few years now, so if things have changed feel free to correct me. Also I think the ownership issue will need to be sorted first before anything like the above can be considered.
Absolutely spot on the money mate.

Nuffy

Bench
Team, Mac and I are catching up with Matt Gidley this Friday.

Let us know if you have any questions.

And yes there will be a summary this time........................

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
I read an article a few days ago that discussions with wests group are in advanced negotiations.

I'd just like to know a bit more about how close we were to a deal with wests.

Jono078

Referee
What happened with the previous summary @Nuffy ?

Did you guys reach out this time or did he? I'm trying to understand what all these catch ups are about now.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Firstly, thanks again Mac and Nuffy for your interest in representing us as the fans, your persistence in keeping the communication channels open and offering to take questions to the CEO. Also happy for you to thank Matt on our behalf for maintaining his commitment to continue this engagement through you...he could have easily let this slide.

I expect you will explore most of this but for me:

• where is the club sale at and what are the likely timeframes for some form of resolution - not expecting specifics ( and noting Hardcore_Fan's post above) but seeking a status update
  • Acknowledging there is clear messaging that the club is in a relatively strong salary cap position and knowing the board has been appointed with a focus on it's business acumen, how is the development/expansion of TPA 'benefactors' tracking?
  • a general update on things like junior development strategies (Centre of Excellence, etc.)?
  • What else do they see that the fans can contribute to the process of (re)building the club? Apart from the obvious of turning up to games, etc. are there any tangible actions or commitments that the supporter base can undertake to value add to where we are at or move things forward? I'm thinking that things like people power through broad supporter base agitation in social media and other platforms. It may be public campaigns to pressure the NRL to expedite the sales process (although he probably can openly encourage that), or a positive supporter campaign to 'reward/patronise' current or potential sponsors for TPAs or club sponsorship - for example, I take the time every year to try and get an email contact point of all the sponsors and send an email as an individual Knights supporter thanking them for supporting 'my' club and indicating that it will influence my support of their business should I need their products or services and where it is not (e.g. Newpave) just acknowledging that their sponsorship is appreciated by the fan base? It maybe something else he can pinpoint but the supporter passion is there based on 21K attendance at the last home game for a club that is struggling to break out of the cellar - I'm just trying to think outside the box about how we can help harness that to improve the club in a practical way
  • Have they got a spare $10K so Brownie can rant and ensure we get a better deal out of the refereeing stocks?(e.g. not get Henry Perenara for 60 to 70% of our home games would be a good start:p)

I'm sure you 2 will cover all the important ground you usually do and I expect Matt will be as frank and honest as he has been in the past within the limitations of what he can say so I'll look forward to your feedback when you get the chance. ;)

Last edited:

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
Yeah on the building on the junior development thing. What is his opinion on the fact that we have not produced anything rep quality since uate. And does the club recognise that for such a large catchment, our success rate with juniors isn't that great.

macavity

Referee
Please ask about what's having with third party sponsorship. Watching Brisbane sign whoever they want is beginning to become painful.

Not from Gids, but take it as gospel....

NRL are looking the other way because the RLPA will riot if they don't, and regardless the clubs benefitting most from them effectively control the "independent" (LOL) commission.

Basically, the attitude is that it's only a rort if you aren't in on it - and the people that matter are all in on it.

Nuffy

Bench
Below is a summary of the key points of our discussion with Matt Gidley.

He was generous with his time and insight and we appreciate the access he provides.

If you have any questions then please let us know.

· Club sale, where are we at and expected timeline.

Whilst the club management isn’t involved in the sale progress, it’s their understanding that the process is a positive one with the likelihood that Wests could be an owner in some capacity. All parties understand the importance of finalising a potential deal as soon as practical to bring long term stability and sustainability.

From a practical standpoint, the club is in the middle of preparations and planning for 2018 so it would make a lot of sense for all parties to resolve this issue in a timely manner so that Wests could be party to the preparations for 2018.

Overall it sounds like positive discussions have taken place and are moving to some sort of resolution of the ownership piece.

· Board was brought in to improve the commercial acumen and help reconnect to business community, has this happened.

Much has been done in this area and Matt feels that the business connections have be re-established. Certainly it sounds like the club has the ear of prominent people within the region and they’ve been used recently to sell the benefits of the club and region to prospective players. The Club, when benchmarked against all the other NRL Clubs in the key commercial measures, performs very strongly.

· TPA’s what is happening with these?

The key thing is that TPA’s should be registered with the NRL and all ours are, we aren’t willing to undertake any impropriety with respect to TPA’s. They should be a payment for some sort of work or usage of a player’s personal brand, not just a cash top up.

Matt wouldn’t be drawn on this but making some assumptions, it might be reasonable to suspect that some clubs use TPA’s as a slush fund to pay players outside of the cap. Yes I know, impossible to believe.

Matt has been proactive with the NRL to try and highlight the TPA / market value argument, he’s fighting the fight; it remains to be seen whether the NRL acts on it.

· Junior development – Poor record, what’s changing? Is the junior pipeline working?

Matt indicated that we were pouring records amounts of money into our juniors and this was the thing that he was most proud of. He also outlined the success our juniors were having such as the Harold Matthews team.

Matt said that the primary focus now is to develop the kids and always keep the good ones. We discussed the ones who’d slipped through the net like Cordner, Jackson and Mitchell. He acknowledged that mistakes had been made but in the case of someone like Cordner, there were issues around injuries and the Roosters threw the lot at him. He doesn’t believe we’ll lose too many of the kids we want to keep in the future.

We discussed the days of the golden crop of juniors and how we’d done a poor job over the last decade or so. He feels that we’ve got a better structure in place now and a greater number of full time employees solely focussed on development and management of the junior groups.

The centre of excellence will also play a major role in developing and increasing the catchment of the junior teams.

· Centre of Excellence.

Of all the things that Matt spoke about, this was the most interesting and exciting. Seems we’ve prepared a detailed submission for government funding to build the centre of excellence. The preferred site is near the stadium.

The facility will include, gym, meeting facilities, an aquatic centre, medical centre, medical imaging centre, mental health and wellness centre, retail space and indoor / outdoor training facilities.

It will be a one stop shop for the players and coaching staff.

The Knights will be based there with administrative offices.

It will also be the training academy for rugby league for all of Northern NSW which will help us capture more potential recruits as all the good young players will pass through the academy on a regular basis.

Beyond that it will be a community asset as its facilities will be open to the sporting associations of the region and general public when not be used by the club.

As an indication, the Panthers COE is the Rolls Royce of COE’s and it cost $22M, the Titan’s COE cost $12M.

The club is hoping to get some feedback in June as to the securing of government support.

Matt didn’t say this but it was reported in the media over the weekend that Wests contribution to the COE was part of its undertaking to the NRL to secure the franchise.

· What can the fans do to help – sponsors, NRL others?

Matt said just keep supporting the club in any way you can. Support sponsors and keep supporting the team.

· Update on player recruitment.

Matt confirmed that we’d thrown the kitchen sink at Bird and we were disappointed to miss out on him. They’d made a significant offer but had no intention to revise it. He indicated that they were quite confident that they would secure him but as soon as the Broncos came in, they felt they’d miss it. It seems that Jack didn’t want to be first to jump and that they felt that he’d wanted to see who else had signed before he signed.

That made the injury to Scott all the more costly as the club felt we were a very big chance to sign Matt Scott and he would have been of great benefit to the young players on and off the field and in hindsight, he may have made the difference in clinching the deal with Bird.

Understandably the club was then hesitant about signing Scott and as it turned out, he re-signed with the Cowboys pretty quickly.

In a broader context the club feels that there will be a large number of players coming onto the market including a number who are under current contract. He feels that clubs like the Dogs and Roosters will need to shed players to fit their new ones in and he feels that depending on the cap situation, clubs made need to let go of players they really don’t want to.

It’s the worst kept secret but we are chasing props and a playmaker.

Matt confirmed we were talking to Foran but in my opinion it didn’t seem likely, again my opinion, not from Matt.

The million dollar question is who to chase if we miss out on Foran, which seems likely. Matt didn’t provide any insight into that.

We asked about Matulino and Matt said that whilst they’d spoke to him, he felt he’d link up with the Tigers.

We are currently working to a cap of $8.7M for 2018.

Interestingly, he also said that he’d been using the likes of Joey, Matty, Bedsy and the Chief to sell the club and region to perspective recruits. They are adamant they want players with the right attitude and who want to be at the cub, they won’t take anyone for the sake of it.

· Hokko’s future.

We discussed Trent’s situation and Matt confirmed it was performance based not injury. Subsequent to that, this was confirmed in the media over the weekend.

We asked the question as to the future of Trent with a season to run on his deal and a knee which will only get worse and Matt understandably didn’t offer any comment.

· Brown’s future, 2018 was supposed to be his breakout year.

Matt indicated that the management and board are happy with the job that Brown is doing but of course they would have liked to see a few more wins. Matt felt that injuries to Buhrer, Rory and Mullen’s dramas have really hurt the team’s ability to win games.

But he also said that at some point we need to find a way to win. He also said that tactically, Brown is a very good coach and he has the support of the players in what he is trying to achieve. He also stated the importance of stability through a project such as this and hoped this could be achieved.

· Mullen’s future, why does it take so long?

Matt indicated that the Club hoped the issue would be resolved in the next 2-3 weeks as the matter was being finalised with the NRL.

He also reiterated how disappointing it was to see Jarrod end his career like this but there was zero tolerance within the club and the league in general.

· Central Coast

We touched on this and Matt felt we were getting the best of the players from that region as Newcastle was closer than Sydney. Shane brought up Connor Watson as the one who got away. It doesn’t seem like the club has a plan to push further into that area, but they should.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Thanks as always guys - really no significant revelations (and I wasn't expecting any more than what you have supplied) although the insights into the junior development and Centre of Excellence sounds really promising, especially the trotting track as a site and its proximity to the stadium. Also the update on the club negotiations with Wests and the progress being made there shows a lot of background action that has things off the field heading in the right direction.

No surprises on the player negotiations but nice that he was as candid as he was on what has transpired on some of the negotiations.

Great work and thanks for being so prompt in keeping us updated ;)

BTW....no response to my last 'request' ? :p

perverse

Referee
Onya lads. Pretty sparse on new info this time, not really sure how much more can be expected as it stands. Ultimately our main concerns have been somewhat answered - we know the clubs path forward pretty well now. Action has been taken across the board and it's just a matter of waiting.

The question at this point isn't really what's the plan as much as can we execute it? On that, Gidley is always going to answer yes.

Latest posts