What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Emu01

Juniors
your so called friend is a softy, it's hardly any rain predicted, there was a hailstorm in 2015 and they still managed 35k, so it would have to be quite a lot of rain to impact the attendance significantly.

T-Boon can you tell us all one more time why rugby league is going down the gurgler and your proposed changes.

Yes I know she is soft, only goes to 1 game a year,so I was disappointed to hear her say she is out because of rain.

The group is still strong for numbers,one dropped out and one slotted straight in.

Saint Doc

Coach
People on here forget that if you visit a Crowd Watch thread on an Internet forum, by definition you are a hardcore fan (or troll) that is in no way representative of the general public.

Text I received today:
"So what's the plan boys? 70% chance of showers between 3 and 9pm. What time is the game?"

Billythekid

First Grade
People on here forget that if you visit a Crowd Watch thread on an Internet forum, by definition you are a hardcore fan (or troll) that is in no way representative of the general public.

Text I received today:
"So what's the plan boys? 70% chance of showers between 3 and 9pm. What time is the game?"

That's not really true. I don't think many of the posters who frequent this thread actually go to many games.

T-Boon

Coach
T-Boon can you tell us all one more time why rugby league is going down the gurgler and your proposed changes.

You can read all about my ideas in the B-League thread which I started in the Cave in order to be fair to the many who already hate me.

The code has great potential if we make my changes.

Saint Doc

Coach
That's not really true. I don't think many of the posters who frequent this thread actually go to many games.

Which even more underlines the point. If someone who reads and discusses Rugby League crowds with complete strangers on the internet ... FOR FUN (!), doesn't go to games, why would some casual fan spend $40 to sit in some drizzle when they don't care one bit whether anyone turns up, and is only concerned with planning the most relaxing/laid back public holiday they can

T-Boon

Coach
Sydney people might just be the most fickle sooks on the planet, it's amazing that we even average 10k..

Don't keep blaming the punter. We go to Big Bash and Swans games.

The NRL, clubs think the on-field product is great. They are kidding themselves.

Last Week

Bench
Don't keep blaming the punter. We go to Big Bash and Swans games.

The NRL, clubs think the on-field product is great. They are kidding themselves.

You're a f**k wit. But I'll partially agree with your first point.

I find that League fans in Sydney find excuses not to go to games rather than reasons to go. That's a premise which could be explored further.

Also the relationship between the game and the fans needs to be repaired. Has been broken since Super League.

Marley

Juniors
Meanwhile, Richmond vs Melbourne (yes Melbourne!) got 85K in the rain tonight...
That game was shoved in our faces all week and look what result that gave. Not a peep about Melbourne Storm around here.

T-Boon

Coach
Then f**k off and go and watch the Swans and Wanderers with Rothfield. I think big bash would be better with 4 × 10 over innings not 2 x 20.

Nah. I am a bigger fan than you. I am wanting to fix things, you are happy for the code to stink and languish behind AFL. Lousy fan. Go away.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Nah. I am a bigger fan than you. I am wanting to fix things, you are happy for the code to stink and languish behind AFL. Lousy fan. Go away.

If I thought it was languishing behind afl I would be watching afl like you clearly do. The game is fine. The biggest reason for frustrating aspects creeping into the game in the last 20 years relates to rule changes.

The more you change the rules the more you f**k it up. Let it evolve naturally. Someone will come up with an attacking strategy that out guns Bennett Ball and Bellamy Wrestle. It has before and it will again. Leave the rules alone ffs.

T-Boon

Coach
The more you change the rules the more you f**k it up. Let it evolve naturally. Someone will come up with an attacking strategy that out guns Bennett Ball and Bellamy Wrestle. It has before and it will again. Leave the rules alone ffs.

You are totally wrong. The game stopped evolving its rules way too early. They just tinker with inconsequential rule changes. I can't even think of any of any significance in the last 5 years.
Look at the scrum. It has been ruined by coaches input and the rules committee failed to do anything in time and we are left with an embarrassment that you couldn't even explain to an outside. There is no sensible reason to hang on to the scrum as it is, except fear of change.
No one will challenge Bellamy's style now because most of the coaches came from his stables and additionally playing his style is easy and the way to be successful.
"let it evolve naturally" - thats how we got wrestles to begin with.
Every sensible code stays on top of its rules and changes as it needs to. Except Rugby League.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
If I thought it was languishing behind afl I would be watching afl like you clearly do. The game is fine. The biggest reason for frustrating aspects creeping into the game in the last 20 years relates to rule changes.

I can hardly think of an NRL rule change in the last 20 years.
The 10 metres - when did that come in about 25 years ago.
40/20. Nothing wrong with that one.

What are you talking about?

Pedge1971

First Grade
You are totally wrong. The game stopped evolving its rules way to early. They just tinker with inconsequential rule changes. I can't even think of any of any significance in the last 5 years.
Look at the scrum. It has been ruined by coaches input and the rules committee failed to do anything in time and we are left with an embarrassment that you couldn't even explain to an outside. There is no sensible reason to hang on to the scrum as it is, except fear of change.
No one will challenge Bellamy's style now because most of the coaches came from his stables and additionally playing his style is easy and the way to be successful.
"let it evolve naturally" - thats how we got wrestles to begin with.
Every sensible code stays on top of its rules and changes as it needs to. Except Rugby League.

Your right, sorry. The T-Boon rule and 4 quarter footy will save rugby league from itself....

Go watch afl mate.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I can hardly think of an NRL rule change in the last 20 years.
The 10 metres - when did that come in about 25 years ago.
40/20. Nothing wrong with that one.

What are you talking about?

The 10m rule was around in the 80s and you are actually whinging about it in other threads.

The strip. The drs and all the changes around what they can and cannot review. The interpretation of an illegal tackle and penalising of a legal tackle cause it hurts. The interchange and its multiple iterations.

Need I go on?

AtholSmith

Juniors
That's what scrums once did, got the forwards out the way. Plus the 10 metre rule has given cheap easy metres. Back in the 80's one out hit ups was described as dumb boring football now it's the staple of the game.
I cringe seeing a big prop playing at five eighth off the scrum, we've evolved from the velvet skill of Brett Kenny to the bash of Fifita at 5/8. even the English once had skilfull forwards and halves, Schofield, Gregory, Ward and Crooks who all were stars in Australia and England.

I agree with much of this - there's been a long trend now with rule changes, not just in Rugby League, other games too, to simplify the game, get rids of rucks, speed up play etc. at the expense of variety of play and player shapes. Where's the ball players, where's the massive units and little guys? Most are similar build now. Go back to the 5m, the run around and all the rest.

I suggest 4 basic things that would improve crowds related to the product. I'm taking this from when I was younger, but I think some things have been lost with the media bombardment these days. In short, the game needs to be easier to follow for the average sports punter.

- average sports enthusiasts should know the games of the round, so advertise who's playing who
- publish the ladder, promote games as 5th vs 8th etc.
- Simplify the team strips, they have changed too much, say blue and yellow, not blue, yellow, black and white, build some tradition so people can associate more strongly colours with teams
- when promoting games, make it clear who the star players are for each team

If they're doing these things now, they're not enough of it or making them clear enough

T-Boon

Coach
The strip. The drs and all the changes around what they can and cannot review. The interpretation of an illegal tackle and penalising of a legal tackle cause it hurts. The interchange and its multiple iterations.

Need I go on?

Yeah, but you can't.
The review system isn't a rule.
You want spear tackles back, and, what, punch ups?

Go do five hit ups and a bomb.