What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

City-country

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Its a good think this concept is dying, there is truely nothing left in it...

The only shame is losing the Country brand. It would have been great if this concept had been killed off in the 80s, and the Country brand used for one of the Regional NSW teams (Newcastle, Canberra, Illawarra).

Oh well, maybe we will find use for it in a 9s comp or something.

fourplay

Juniors
I think it's poor if a fringe player could be close to getting a rep jersey or their first rep jersey and Des is saying no but it also shows the shit show that is scheduling and where rep footy sits.

So are we still pretending City v Country is a selection trial in order to give it some meaning? I remember when Bryce Cartwright was in great form and went into City v Country on the brink of Origin selection, and then singlehandedly dominated the game in probably the best performance of his career but was still overlooked.

It doesn't matter how good Leilua, Nofo, JakeTrbojevic, Roberts etc plays. We all know Jennings, Dugan, Fergo and Josh Jackson and co are automatic selections. Who cares how well Prior, Vaughan, Paulo, Prior, James, Debelin etc. play and if they dominate their opposition every week. Woods has long hair and a great larrikan personality and Klemmer has the best angry face that Daley loves!

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I agree that the concept is pretty much dead in the water, but that does not mean one coach gets to decide his club is above it while the others all cough up players.

If Dollar Des has an issue with it, take it up with the NRL at the end of the season. I have heard nothing in his rambling press conferences about this over the past 6-9 months.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
This appears to be a Hasler/Manly fans issue rather than a City/Country issue, because no one could care less about the latter.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
This appears to be a Hasler/Manly fans issue rather than a City/Country issue, because no one could care less about the latter.

Lol

What a wonderfully simplistic assumption.

You think a club coach should be able to dictate when his players do or don't play rep footy while 15 other clubs have to?

I could care less which coach it is that is doing it.

As I said, I agree the City/Country concept is pretty much dead. But until its scrapped, the rules are the rules.

undertaker

Coach
Its a good think this concept is dying, there is truely nothing left in it...

What started out as a good concept in the late '80s and was initially used a 'genuine' Origin selection match has now transpired into a farce for more than the past decade or so.

IIRC, 2003 was the last year where full-strength squads were selected (largely attributed to the fact that the test match vs New Zealand was mid-year after Origin, which is what it should be rather than in early May like it currently is. Hence, all the players who were favourites for the test match like Andrew Johns were also available for City-Country).

Since then, there have been numerous players who have pulled out 'injured', only to back up for their NRL side's next match. Matt Cooper immediately comes to mind.

So are we still pretending City v Country is a selection trial in order to give it some meaning? I remember when Bryce Cartwright was in great form and went into City v Country on the brink of Origin selection, and then singlehandedly dominated the game in probably the best performance of his career but was still overlooked.

It doesn't matter how good Leilua, Nofo, JakeTrbojevic, Roberts etc plays. We all know Jennings, Dugan, Fergo and Josh Jackson and co are automatic selections. Who cares how well Prior, Vaughan, Paulo, Prior, James, Debelin etc. play and if they dominate their opposition every week. Woods has long hair and a great larrikan personality and Klemmer has the best angry face that Daley loves!

This x 1000.

In addition, I would add that in place of City-Country, NRL matches and more pre-season trials should be taken to country area. Have a 4 year cycle, where 4 teams take one of their home NRL games to places where City-Country Origin has been played in the past: Wagga Wagga, Orange, Bathurst, Tamworth etc. etc.

MKCS

Juniors
I'd like to see it remain simply as a fixture to help decide the NSW Origin side. This year alone you've got a few potential new guys who could make the NSW 17 (Vaughan, Trobojevic, Boyd, Peats) and one or two who have to prove themselves (Hayne, Moylan)

I'd have the six players listed play City Vs Country and see who puts their hand up for Origin selection. It'd also be a really good way to find a suitable left winger this year to replace Mansour.

Oh well. Maybe it'll make it's return one day.

LazyDreamer

Bench
Once they're forced to select no-names with maybe half a dozen NRL games under their belts, it's a waste of space.

Have been to quite a few bush games. Trials have more atmosphere than the City/Country game. The C/C standard of footy is at best no better than a club game.

More clubs doing a Penrith/Bathurst kind of partnership would be far more beneficial. Although it does take an NRL club who is serious about making it work, a local league hierarchy, club and licenced club with similar ambitions, and a regular opponent (in this case, the Raiders) with a decent following in the region.

Yeah and where are all these deals and clubs taking NRL games bush?

Oh yeah, non-existent. So all the bullshit about replacing City-Country with premiership games is just fans talking shit on the interweb. The NRL is doing precisely nothing to make it happen and, as foretold, the loss of City-Country will be another nail in the coffin of country football. But that's okay, Sydney merkins say it's pointless so that must be true.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Well from listening to the press conference just held for the Australian team selection, it would seem that nothing at all happens to the Bulldogs for declaring their players are not eligible for City-Country.

I must have missed the announcement that it was optional to have players included in this game.

Oh well, every club will (or should) do the same now. No reason to allow the Bulldogs an advantage over other clubs if there is no censure.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Yeah and where are all these deals and clubs taking NRL games bush?

Oh yeah, non-existent. So all the bullshit about replacing City-Country with premiership games is just fans talking shit on the interweb. The NRL is doing precisely nothing to make it happen and, as foretold, the loss of City-Country will be another nail in the coffin of country football. But that's okay, Sydney merkins say it's pointless so that must be true.

I'm not from the Country but I can understand the frustration from people in the bush. I don't agree with scrapping it but the concept hasn't been the same for a while since players have been ruled out "injured".

The problem is, what are theyre plans for the Country from 2018 onwards.

I went to function I think there was a representative from the NRL that spoke about the game going forward and when someone asked about the game in the Country, he went on the lines of saying "we're currently working on making the game stronger in the bush" . Sounded like he didn't have a plan.

At least Penrith has committed to Bathurst for the next 10 years.

davi

Juniors
I'm sure Greentard will act swiftly to censure and punish the Bulldogs for this...

Matty Johns virtually has said what you have said in the Daily Telegraph. Telling Todd Greenberg make a move or else. It shouldn't be awkward for him because he does not work for the Bulldogs anymore and in his current role his job is to be impartial.

"MATT Johns has called on NRL CEO Todd Greenberg to step in and block Canterbury’s formal request for their players not to be selected in the final City versus Country clash in Mudgee on May 7.

The Bulldogs want their players to be ineligible for the traditional representative match, as they face North Queensland just four days later.

Furious Country Rugby League officials have labelled Canterbury’s stance a “slap in the face” for bush footy fans.

Country officials were particularly keen to select Bulldogs back-rower Josh Jackson, a Mudgee junior raised in nearby Gulgong.

Speaking on the Triple M Grill Team, Johns said he would like to see Greenberg take a firm stance by denying Canterbury’s request and standing them down from their NRL fixture.

The ex-Knight and Shark believes the NRL should follow in the footsteps of former ARL boss John Quayle and set a firm precedent on players stepping down from representative fixtures.

“This is a real test of Todd and the NRL,” Johns said.

“Des is pulling them (the NRL) on by saying, ‘my players are not playing and I don’t know what they are going to do.

“The ball is in Todd Greenberg’s court and what makes it even more awkward for Todd is that he was once the boss of the Bulldogs.

“It’s unprecedented that we now have a situation where clubs and a coach in Des is dictating to the NRL.

“Now what used to happen years ago was that if a player was chosen to play for City or Country or New Zealand, they would pull out of the game.

“But if you pulled out of the game, you would automatically be stood down from that week’s NRL fixture.

“But the league has had this coming, because there has been dwindling interest from their end in this fixture.”

It comes as Jackson admits he is disappointed the Bulldogs won’t allow him to represent Country in this year’s clash with City Origin.

Jackson played his first representative game for Country in 2013 but he will be missing from next month’s Mudgee fixture, played just four days before Canterbury’s NRL away clash with North Queensland.

Mark Geyer admits the City versus Country fixture has been suffering a slow death for some time due to a lack of interest.

It’s why he can’t blame Bulldogs coach Des Hasler for requesting his players sit out the representative match.

“I think what Des has done is what every other coach in the land is thinking of doing and he said it out loud,” Geyer said.

“Most times you see this fixture becoming a bit of a mockery when players pull out.

“Last year young (Ryan) Matterson made the (City) starting team with one first grade game to his name.

“To me, that’s when you are taking the piss.

“I really feel for country supporters.

“They are the backbone of the game, they really are.

“The amount of players they’ve supplied to the NRL is unbelievable.

“I think the NRL should say something to him (Des), but he has only had the balls to say what every other coach is thinking.”

Despite Johns’ calls, the NRL won’t get involved in any decision to block Canterbury’s request as the City versus Country match is under the jurisdiction of the NSWRL."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/e6df4a20472179a82ba9f5056d2d1453

Last edited:

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Andrew Johns virtually has said what you have said in the Daily Telegraph. Telling Todd Greenberg make a move or else. It shouldn't be awkward for him because he does not work for the Bulldogs anymore and in his current role his job is to be impartial.

"MATT Johns has called on NRL CEO Todd Greenberg to step in and block Canterbury’s formal request for their players not to be selected in the final City versus Country clash in Mudgee on May 7.

The Bulldogs want their players to be ineligible for the traditional representative match, as they face North Queensland just four days later.

Furious Country Rugby League officials have labelled Canterbury’s stance a “slap in the face” for bush footy fans.

Country officials were particularly keen to select Bulldogs back-rower Josh Jackson, a Mudgee junior raised in nearby Gulgong.

Speaking on the Triple M Grill Team, Johns said he would like to see Greenberg take a firm stance by denying Canterbury’s request and standing them down from their NRL fixture.

The ex-Knight and Shark believes the NRL should follow in the footsteps of former ARL boss John Quayle and set a firm precedent on players stepping down from representative fixtures.

“This is a real test of Todd and the NRL,” Johns said.

“Des is pulling them (the NRL) on by saying, ‘my players are not playing and I don’t know what they are going to do.

“The ball is in Todd Greenberg’s court and what makes it even more awkward for Todd is that he was once the boss of the Bulldogs.

“It’s unprecedented that we now have a situation where clubs and a coach in Des is dictating to the NRL.

“Now what used to happen years ago was that if a player was chosen to play for City or Country or New Zealand, they would pull out of the game.

“But if you pulled out of the game, you would automatically be stood down from that week’s NRL fixture.

“But the league has had this coming, because there has been dwindling interest from their end in this fixture.”

It comes as Jackson admits he is disappointed the Bulldogs won’t allow him to represent Country in this year’s clash with City Origin.

Jackson played his first representative game for Country in 2013 but he will be missing from next month’s Mudgee fixture, played just four days before Canterbury’s NRL away clash with North Queensland.

Mark Geyer admits the City versus Country fixture has been suffering a slow death for some time due to a lack of interest.

It’s why he can’t blame Bulldogs coach Des Hasler for requesting his players sit out the representative match.

“I think what Des has done is what every other coach in the land is thinking of doing and he said it out loud,” Geyer said.

“Most times you see this fixture becoming a bit of a mockery when players pull out.

“Last year young (Ryan) Matterson made the (City) starting team with one first grade game to his name.

“To me, that’s when you are taking the piss.

“I really feel for country supporters.

“They are the backbone of the game, they really are.

“The amount of players they’ve supplied to the NRL is unbelievable.

“I think the NRL should say something to him (Des), but he has only had the balls to say what every other coach is thinking.”

Despite Johns’ calls, the NRL won’t get involved in any decision to block Canterbury’s request as the City versus Country match is under the jurisdiction of the NSWRL."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/e6df4a20472179a82ba9f5056d2d1453

That dropkick John Grant said in the Aust selection presser that it was basically Des' call and that was that.

Hence the reason for my post above saying that if the Dogs are allowed to do it, then all clubs should follow suit.

Then the NRL will have no choice but to tell Des to pull his head in.