What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Semi Radradra

Gronk

Staff member
Parramatta Eels winger Semi Radradra declares himself available for World Cup selection for Fiji

He was painted as money hungry when he switched allegiances to represent the Kangaroos, but Semi Radradra wants to delay his exit to French rugby once the NRL season is finished after declaring himself available for Fiji in the World Cup.

The controversial Eels winger revealed he wanted to play for his homeland in the end-of-season tournament, sparking a remote chance the cult hero and ex-Parramatta flyer Jarryd Hayne may finally unite.

Bati coach Mick Potter only this month said he would more than likely not consider Radradra for the mid-season Test against the Cook Islands given he wouldn't be around for the World Cup.

But Radradra, who said he hadn't spoke with either Potter or his family yet about his ambitions with the Bati, said on Wednesday he wanted to throw his hat in the ring for the World Cup.

"At the moment, it's all about the club and if there's an option to play with Fiji Bati I would love to play with them," Radradra said.

"If they still want me to play for the Bati I will play for them [in the World Cup]. I haven't spoken to anyone about it, I'll just leave it to them. It [available for selection] is my decision anyway and it's up to me."

It would cap a stunning turnaround in Radradra's international career – and possibly mean the World Cup would be his rugby league farewell – given the storm his Australian selection for the Anzac Test created last year.

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga has already shut the door on Radradra, who is facing domestic violence charges, given he was left out, along with grand final hero Andrew Fifita, of the Four Nations-winning squad last season as the coach demanded players had to comply with off-field standards to tour.

But Radradra now wants to take his talent to the World Cup, where he could create a dream combination with Melbourne try-scoring machine Suliasi Vunivalu.

It is unlikely Radradra's future French rugby employers, Toulon, would welcome the news given their season traditionally runs from August well into the following year, meaning Radradra would significantly be delaying when he could join the Top 14 club, whose campaign would be under way once the NRL season ended.

Asked about Toulon, Radradra said: "I've got a contract for rugby league and as soon as that's finished ... if I want to go I can go. I think I'll spend a couple of weeks back home and then I'll go over.

"I haven't been following [Toulon] and I haven't heard anything [from them lately]."

Radradra hasn't crossed the stripe in his last two NRL games – both of which Parramatta have lost – after a four-try blitz against the Dragons in round two.

Yet Radradra said he was "happy" both on and off the field in his final year with the Eels.

"I take it day by day," he said. "I'm just trying to give my best to the club and the fans. They gave a lot to me and I've tried to give them more back.

"I'm not worrying about what happened in the past, or my situation off the field, I'm just focusing with the boys and playing good footy every week. Sometimes you get distracted now and then, but I'm just trying to focus on every day."

Radradra and his left-side partner in crime Michael Jennings face an enormous task to stifle Canberra wrecking balls Joey Leilua and Jordan Rapana in a mouth-watering showdown at GIO Stadium on Saturday.

And Radradra's teammates were sure he would be missed beyond 2017.

"I've known him for the last four years and he's a great player and a genuinely good bloke," Eels back-rower Tepai Moeroa said. "It's always sad to see a teammate go, but he's got to do what's best for him."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...x8.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Gronk

Staff member
Semi said:
Asked about Toulon, Radradra said: "I've got a contract for rugby league and as soon as that's finished ... if I want to go I can go. I think I'll spend a couple of weeks back home and then I'll go over.

If I want to go, I can go ?

Does that mean that if he doesn't want to go, then he doesn't have to go ?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He doesn't seem that keen to head to France at all, if he gets off his charges what are the chances he will stay at Parra???

Eelementary

Post Whore
He doesn't seem that keen to head to France at all, if he gets off his charges what are the chances he will stay at Parra???

A man can dream...

If he gets off his charges, and decided he wants to stay (it seemed to me, at the time he made the deal, that he signed to play in France to escape his problems here), it would be awesome.

Gronk

Staff member
It's game day and time to reflect that this could be Semi's last game for the Eels.

He faces court in a few days and unless charges are dropped or gets NG on all counts, the NRL will hand out a lengthy suspension or worse de-register him.

Justice is paramount and we not condone DV.

If it does not pan out in a positive way for the club, thanks for the ride Semi. I can't recall watching a player like you for ages. Definitely a once in a generation player.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It's game day and time to reflect that this could be Semi's last game for the Eels.

He faces court in a few days and unless charges are dropped or gets NG on all counts, the NRL will hand out a lengthy suspension or worse de-register him.

If it does not pan out in a positive way for the club, thanks for the ride Semi. I can't recall watching a player like you for ages. Definitely a once in a generation player.
Well said Gronky.

Stagger eel

Staff member

Yep :thumbsup:

Chipmunk

Coach
If you'd said to me before the season started if Semi was rubbed out of the game for the season then I would really say we would really struggle this year, but in reality, although Semi hasn't been poor, he hasn't been the great player he was in seasons gone by, yet we're still getting by.

He no longer draws a penalty coming out of our redzone at least 50% of the time, which was really the biggest weapon he had

I think we have enough players already in the club to cover his absence if it comes to that. If we signed Moses and shuffled a few players around and changed the way we played slighly, I doubt we would miss him at all.

chiefy1

Juniors
Let's just hope for the club's reputation sake, Semi gets off. Hanging over the club's head for some time, it's could be one of the reasons a major sponsor has not been announced as yet.

Team wise, with French coming back, we can cover for him to an extent.

Dibs

Bench
Let's just hope for the club's reputation sake, Semi gets off. Hanging over the club's head for some time, it's could be one of the reasons a major sponsor has not been announced as yet.

Team wise, with French coming back, we can cover for him to an extent.
More important than the club's reputation is the reputation of the young lady or semi himself. Let's hope that the verdict matches the truth would be a more appropriate result

Gronk

Staff member
If you'd said to me before the season started if Semi was rubbed out of the game for the season then I would really say we would really struggle this year, but in reality, although Semi hasn't been poor, he hasn't been the great player he was in seasons gone by, yet we're still getting by.

He no longer draws a penalty coming out of our redzone at least 50% of the time, which was really the biggest weapon he had

I think we have enough players already in the club to cover his absence if it comes to that. If we signed Moses and shuffled a few players around and changed the way we played slighly, I doubt we would miss him at all.

As far as form is concerned, I agree that he has not been his exceptional self.

Having said that facing criminal charges would cause sleepless nights for most of us. The anxiety that he has been facing is huge.

IFR33K

Coach
I have a feeling semis played his last game for us. His management although a little incompetent isn't completely stupid. They signed him to union for a reason.

Bye bye semi :sob::sob::sob:

Glenn

First Grade
Expect Greenberg to come out of hiatus if Semi is found guilty.
Don't worry about Clubs refusing to release players to Rep games.

Chipmunk

Coach
As far as form is concerned, I agree that he has not been his exceptional self.

Having said that facing criminal charges would cause sleepless nights for most of us. The anxiety that he has been facing is huge.

Yeah definitely not saying that he didn't have excuses for his form, was more just referring to the fact that his form hasn't been that of someone who is not replaceable.