What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The International Rep Round

ozenzud

Juniors
I am a RL tragic and follow the game pretty closely. I am in NZ but read the Oz newspapers daily and watch Sky news etc, etc. I was stunned to find out that England were playing Samoa and that Tonga, Fiji, Cook islands and PNG were all playing this weekend. I found nothing on it on the NRL website. Managed to find some buried news item. No draw, no new articles, nothing.

All I hear the commentators talk about, is, "will that player get picked for Origin". We have built this game up into a hype that is totally unjustified and has been a one sided contest for a decade or more. It wasn't always the case with Origin. I have been to games at the SCG with less than 25,000 there. One wet night there was less that 17,000 there. It built with promotion, tradition and committment of the NSWRL and QRL. The reliance on Origin is one of RL's biggest weaknesses. We are like Americans who know nothing else about the world.

Why aren't they promoting the rep round and building those traditions? I just despair at the lack of vision and ability to make a financial committment for a few years like AFL. They sink money into the Swans and GWS, Brisbane, Gold Coast and lose money for years for the good of the game. But they can't do that in another country, which the NRL can, but doesn't.

If its not good for the clubs, the NRL won't do it. That is just so short sighted.

Clarkent

Juniors
Yeah watched nrl 360 and matty John's show last night... all they talked about was the kangaroos and origin nothing at all about the other international teams... they do this every year it's getting ridiculous

siv

First Grade
As mych as people think NRL means RL in Australia

It technically doesnt

Its just the elite competition in Australia - just like Super League is in England

Thats what the group called the NRLs charter

But you should find more on internal RL websites

The NRL is holding back international RL - and then saying I told you so if a poor crowd result occurs

You could have been a lot smarter with scheduling this weekend

Eg England v Samoa should have been played at Gosford

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
As mych as people think NRL means RL in Australia

It technically doesnt

Its just the elite competition in Australia - just like Super League is in England

Thats what the group called the NRLs charter

But you should find more on internal RL websites

The NRL is holding back international RL - and then saying I told you so if a poor crowd result occurs

You could have been a lot smarter with scheduling this weekend

Eg England v Samoa should have been played at Gosford
It should be played in Samoa let's be honest. And agreed with the original post, rugby league has poor vision.

siv

First Grade
It should be played in Samoa let's be honest. And agreed with the original post, rugby league has poor vision.

Last year when they did the crowd was very poor in Samoa

Looks to me that a lot of work still required out in the island nations

adamkungl

Immortal
The crowd was modest. But keep in mind that Apia has a population below 40,000 (Samoa 193,000) and games like this do a lot more good than generating profit.

Games should be played in these nations every year, it's the least the NRL could do.

Imagine if the Kangaroos PM XIII squad did an annual tour through the NRL finals to PNG, Samoa, Tonga, and Fiji. It would be an excellent initiative for the game.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
The crowd was modest. But keep in mind that Apia has a population below 40,000 (Samoa 193,000) and games like this do a lot more good than generating profit.

Games should be played in these nations every year, it's the least the NRL could do.

Imagine if the Kangaroos PM XIII squad did an annual tour through the NRL finals to PNG, Samoa, Tonga, and Fiji. It would be an excellent initiative for the game.

Bold part deserves two thumbs up.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The game would have drawn 15,000 in Apia just as it will probably draw 15,000 in Campbelltown. It's more about Fox Sport and the costs I believe.

adamkungl

Immortal
Still, 1 home game a year shouldn't be much to expect if the NRL has a supposed "Pacific strategy".

But NZ can't even get a home game because they're too broke to afford it apparently, fmd.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Still, 1 home game a year shouldn't be much to expect if the NRL has a supposed "Pacific strategy".

But NZ can't even get a home game because they're too broke to afford it apparently, fmd.

I hope this changes from next year with an annual mid-season test against England in NZL and a post season home and away series V AUS

MKCS

Juniors
I love the international game and follow as much as I can but the reason Origin is discussed more and loved more in Australia is because they're the most competitive games of the year.

Look at Australia Vs NZ just yesterday, it's Team 1 Vs Team 2 but just how competitive was it? NZ had Australia's number for about 10 minutes but the game was over by halftime. England would also get a butt kicking from Australia and a similar scoreline probably would occur.

It's not exciting, Australia are like $1.50 favourites to win the World Cup this year. NSW Vs QLD is a lot more competitive because you don't know who is going to win especially with Thurston, Inglis, Scott etc out of the mix.

Don't take this post the wrong way, as I said I love the international game but right now Australia cannot be touched and it effects the international game.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Don't take this post the wrong way, as I said I love the international game but right now Australia cannot be touched and it effects the international game.[/QUOTE]

I feel like our game needs to move past this as Australia will win more often than not. We need to just look at other sports that can still be popular with one dominant team:

Basketball: no one can get anywhere near team USA. They have lost something like 3 games in as many decades. Still ultra popular including the international game and doesn't deter support from any nation.

Union: The All Blacks are extremely dominant and are celebrated for it.

We just need to accept it and grow the sport anyway.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Don't take this post the wrong way, as I said I love the international game but right now Australia cannot be touched and it effects the international game.

I feel like our game needs to move past this as Australia will win more often than not. We need to just look at other sports that can still be popular with one dominant team:

Basketball: no one can get anywhere near team USA. They have lost something like 3 games in as many decades. Still ultra popular including the international game and doesn't deter support from any nation.

Union: The All Blacks are extremely dominant and are celebrated for it.

We just need to accept it and grow the sport anyway.[/QUOTE]

Exactly get over it, celebrate the competitive games below Australia, the fight to earn the right to face the Aussies in a final, I mean we can't just magically have 12 teams as strong as Australia. It needs time to grow, and while it does enjoy the lower games for what they are, even when png lose they celebrate the game, why can't we as Australians do that ? So much snobbery.

Force

Juniors
It was another good rep round of footy, building from previous years success so long may it continue. Just a pity the Lebanon v Malta game was not televised. As for the games, they were all good with Tonga v Fiji being the best.

The Eng v Samoa game showed how having established combinations and more game time as a team to gel can beat a scratch team full of star players. In order for Samoa (and the rest of the P.I teams) to realise their potential, they need more game time together and for Samoa, a better halfback and hooker.

Fiji v Tonga could've gone either way, most people were picking Tonga to win from the outset but island games will always cough up simple mistakes due to new combinations and a lack of cohesion. Both teams will get better come world cup with the likes of Hayne, Sutton(if he pulls finger out) Hurrell etc...

PNG vs Cooks, once again, having well established combinations from the Hunters proved a winner as they had the least number of players with NRL experience. Cooks did well in the first half but made too many errors and handed the game to PNG. Still only one try in it so it was a good game. Both teams were well structured which was a surprise.

Cant wait for the World Cup. Long live International Rugby League.

Latest posts