What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DUGAN NEXT

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Dugan is nor worth more than $800,000 and probably 10% less.
Positives
1.Safe fullback.
2. Defends well.
3. Runs hard.
4. Secure taking kicks and under the high ball.
5. Totally committed.
6. Inspires his team mates and is a good team player.
Negatives
1. Rarely passes the ball so he halts the attack.
2. Has slowed in pace considerably.
3. Runs like a bull.
4. Can not kick for goal.
5. Lacks flair and creativity.
6. Fails to set up his support players.
7. Gets injured frequently.
8. Probably he is the slowest fullback in the Club.
9. Needs to lose 5-10 kgs to increase his speed and make him more nimble.
10. Has failed to improve his passing and linking under the tutelage of Ben Hornby.
11. Scores few tries compared to 3-4 years ago.
12. He is a match saver not a match winner.

possm

Coach
I'd say the money isn't there. The only way to keep Dugan would be for his manager to organise a TPA. Retention of some of our best first grade side is held up because of this silly centre/fullback thing. If the money is not there then withdraw the offer and put either Field, Dufty or Mann at fullback. That is what Millward has always planned to do. Problem is only Mann is ready to test at fullback and he is one that was not in the future plans of Millward.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I'd say the money isn't there. The only way to keep Dugan would be for his manager to organise a TPA. Retention of some of our best first grade side is held up because of this silly centre/fullback thing. If the money is not there then withdraw the offer and put either Field, Dufty or Mann at fullback. That is what Millward has always planned to do. Problem is only Mann is ready to test at fullback and he is one that was not in the future plans of Millward.

Surely you're just taking the piss now?

Gareth67

First Grade
Tick - Tock - Tick - Tock . Times up for this bloke or his manager , whichever it may be , that is prolonging these negotiations . There has been a fair offer made to Duges , and by judging what others have said , perhaps somewhat excessive .

It is well and truly time , to priotise the signing of players that the club truly needs , if the Dragons are to do well in the years ahead . If Josh truly believe that he is worth more than the club is offering , then he needs to send his agent out to into the wilderness and locate those , that are prepared to pay the top international fullback money . Just make damn well sure , that his agent has a good supply of water .

The Joint Venture's management needs to do , as already suggested by other members of the forum and give him a deadline . Besides our own players , there are also one or two others on the market , or soon will be , that will give our backline the extra speed that Duges lacks .

Youth , speed and a hell of a lot more flair in attack , attributes that will be gladly welcomed at the Dragons .

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Actually the main difference between Tedesco and Dugan being off contract is that Tedesco put himself on the open market and actively sought a contract with Roosters via Anthony Minichiello. Wests Tigers were the only club that offered a contract in the vicinity of $1 million per season and that was his biggest offer. He took unders to join the Roosters.

Dugan has made his priority to re-sign with the Dragons and openly stated as much. Bulldogs are very interested in Dugan his preference is to stay with Dragons.
I do not believe that Tedesco took unders to sign with Easts. Politis always gets his man, that is because he offers more money.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I do not believe that Tedesco took unders to sign with Easts. Politis always gets his man, that is because he offers more money.

We're talking about what was offered above the table - Wests Tigers were the only club who's offer came close to a million. And the fact still remains that Tedesco approached Roosters, not the other way around so my point remains valid.

Frank Facer

First Grade
We're talking about what was offered above the table - Wests Tigers were the only club who's offer came close to a million. And the fact still remains that Tedesco approached Roosters, not the other way around so my point remains valid.
Like when Fifita signed with Canterbury for 850K a season, but only 400k of that was to be included on the cap?

blacksafake

First Grade
Interesting question. Whilst I would agree $750k is a decent offer, I whole wholeheartedly disagree with Millward's suggestion that Dugan should be paid as a centre.

Dugan is right, he's the best fullback in the club. He's a world class player. He's an incumbent Test and NSW player. He has won NSW Player of the Series as a fullback. More importantly than all of that, throughout his Dragons career he has consistently been one of our best players. I can't even remember a single game where I thought to myself "geez Dugan is playing rubbish today". I don't see any of that changing in 2018 and beyond (assuming he re-signs).

I believe he's a franchise player. He has a rock star aura about him. In terms of the media and public he is probably the most talked about player in the club (and never for the wrong reasons since he joined us). He puts bums on seats, creates headlines and draws young fans to the club.

I believe the Dragons should offer him a contract that reflects his standing within the club. Offering him centre money (currently considered one of the least valued positions in terms of contract dollars) is an insult.
My sentiments too BTN.
I don't care what people say there is absolutely nobody in his class capable of playing fullback currently signed by the club.Should he leave it will be a impossible for anyone in the club to replace him which means we have to go outside the club to sign a fullback of his class & they aren't availabe.Please don't mention Hayne as he would cost more & is way too hot & cold as well as high maintenance.
Just my humble opinion.

Drakon

Juniors
Well. here's a maybe fanciful but not totally out of the realms of possibility idea.

The Dragons are not committing to appointing McGregor as coach past this year.

It seems Millward has some definite ideas on who will play where from 2018. Think Dugan as centre, Field at fullback, Robson as hooker in the future. He has secured new players - Hunt, McInnes, MacDonald, Vaughan and secured the promising juniors.

Maybe Millward is the 2018 coach. Duges doesnt know if Mary will be there to safe guard his fullback spot. Or he does know and Millward is a 'chink'. LOL

Stranger things have happened and Millward is one of the old boys brigade.

denis preston

First Grade
Well. here's a maybe fanciful but not totally out of the realms of possibility idea.

The Dragons are not committing to appointing McGregor as coach past this year.

It seems Millward has some definite ideas on who will play where from 2018. Think Dugan as centre, Field at fullback, Robson as hooker in the future. He has secured new players - Hunt, McInnes, MacDonald, Vaughan and secured the promising juniors.

Maybe Millward is the 2018 coach. Duges doesnt know if Mary will be there to safe guard his fullback spot. Or he does know and Millward is a 'chink'. LOL

Stranger things have happened and Millward is one of the old boys brigade.

No certainly not BUT he could be working under next years coach's instructions.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Next years coach .Is there any chance the Dragons released demetriou for a years coaching under Bennett,to maybe return next year to the big league.come to think of it that's too much forward thinking for the dimwits running our club .still hearing my mate in Brisbane thinks a local is heading this way. Walters,Demetriou anybody else come to mind

dragonrickjs

Juniors
Yeah let's get rid of a proven test and origin player for 2 proven NSW cup players. How about we let Mann and Milne go and give Dugan there money as well. Masters and Herbert can easily cover the loss of Milne and Mann