What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Dugan - "I'm a world class player"

^He peaked in 2012, and hasn't improved as a fullback at all since leaving the Raiders. I thought he'd get over the staying down hurt and showing his weakness to the opposition thing when he put some more muscle on his wiry frame, but he hasn't.

nick87

Coach
This, except I don't see Dugans point at all. He's worth what the market is willing to pay him. The Dragons have decided his worth to their squad, if he's worth more elsewhere then bully for him and them. No different to any employee anywhere else.

We're not paid on the same scale as these guys, but I've had - and I'd wager most have had - to move jobs plenty of times because my worth was maximised in my current role. On your bike, Duges... your club is telling you something.

Absolutely nailed it
Your worth is no more or no less than a free market is willing to pay
If Dugan isn't happy with what saints are offering he's free to test the market and find out if he's worth more to someone else

He'll either sign for 800k or 600k, I think either way the Duges will be fine and continue his path to being the GOAT

Nice Beaver

First Grade
only recently have I heard about this different positions having different pay scales

so a world-class centre is paid less than an average fullback? doesn't make sense

No necessarily.

From what I have been told, they allocate points to different positions based on various attributes ans skills for each position.

So if a club signed an average fullback (who was lower down the points scale) but had a centre who was a superstar who ticked all the boxes, then he'd be on more.

Of course, its not an exact science, so figures could be pumped up or down a bit based on player demand, but its a big part of calculations.

nick87

Coach
A fullback is considered a spine player, which inheritly increases their value to a team. It's one of the more important positions on the park

So the same level of footballer usually gets more for playing those positions than say a winger or front rower or centre

kbw

Bench
Could be worth a bucket load, but to me he just plays for himself.
Can't remember last time I saw him pass the ball where it added to an attacking move.
I can't remember the last time he ran straight and left room for the players outside him.

Just another dick with talent and an overinflated opinion of himself

taipan

Referee
I considered myself once ,as a first class player when I attended parties in my misguided youth.Trouble is no one else did.

wibble

Bench
Until his unfortunate head clash with Packer, I thought he was close to the best on the park in the Test match. I'm not much of a Dugan fan, but credit where it's due, he is a consistent player and has never been shown up in a rep jersey.

Pretty obvious people commenting here don't actually watch him play

Can't blame the Dragons for trying for what he considers unders. Keep him and Packer and next year they can actually challenge for the premiership