What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Glenneel

Bench
"The majority of my contract is now third party stuff"
The cap is a joke, particularly for several clubs like Broncos & Roosters. To ensure it is evening out the comp there needs to be a minimum amount that comes off the cap.

Say for current international players they are assessed at $600k. He can be actually paid $500k plus $200k TPA but $600k comes off the cap regardless. If he is paid higher the actual amount comes off the cap. This way clubs with low TPAs are not so disadvantaged.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The cap is a joke, particularly for several clubs like Broncos & Roosters. To ensure it is evening out the comp there needs to be a minimum amount that comes off the cap.

Say for current international players they are assessed at $600k. He can be actually paid $500k plus $200k TPA but $600k comes off the cap regardless. If he is paid higher the actual amount comes off the cap. This way clubs with low TPAs are not so disadvantaged.
That is how it works. The problem is that the clubs with big TPAs get every single player for the minimum assessed value whereas the other clubs need to pay overs (under the cap) for at least some of their players.

gaffer

Juniors

TheRam

Coach
Or simply publicly publish each clubs TPA's. That way at least we can all see the real salary cap that all clubs are working with. I don't think it would be to long from there that a fairer system would be demanded by all.

But like I have said before, ALL contracts should be made public anyway. We the public are the reason they even exist. So we should ALL know if there is any hanky panky going on.

Bazal

Post Whore
The NRL would rather an uneven competition than limit the amount of money coming into the game.

Plus they can't prevent players from earning money through sponsorships, which is what TPAs are. Better to require them to be registered and approved (and therefore governed as best they can) than to allow a free for all.

Personally I'd like to see them require all TPA's to involve managers and the NRL itself in negotiating third party stuff and be completely separate from the clubs. I dunno if it'd work, but it takes the clubs out of the loop entirely.

Incorrect

Coach
Or simply publicly publish each clubs TPA's. That way at least we can all see the real salary cap that all clubs are working with. I don't think it would be to long from there that a fairer system would be demanded by all.

But like I have said before, ALL contracts should be made public anyway. We the public are the reason they even exist. So we should ALL know if there is any hanky panky going on.

Interesting idea.... Publish the $ amount of all TPA's that contribute towards the salary of the total value across each NRL team separately and the name of the company proiving the funds - surely these companies would be all for it? They'd want the public to know they are contributing towards the salaries of NRL players/clubs wouldn't they??

We'll soon see the great disparity betweeen the haves and the have nots....

eg Boncos - $4.2m + in total TPA's
Roosters - $4.0m + in total TPA's
Bulldogs- $3.9m + in total TPA's

and so on.

down to

Tigers - approx. $250K+ in total TPA's
Newcastle - < $783.55 in total TPA's.....

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Plus they can't prevent players from earning money through sponsorships, which is what TPAs are. Better to require them to be registered and approved (and therefore governed as best they can) than to allow a free for all.
The NRL doesn't have to stop players earning extra from external sources - they can just refuse to allow the clubs employing those players from earning competition points.