What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Leagues Club board sacked, administrator appointed

El Diablo

Post Whore
Former Eels boss Scott Seward pleads guilty to obtaining financial advantage by deception
Emma Partridge — Chief Court Reporter, The Daily Telegraph

FORMER Parramatta Eels boss Scott Seward pleaded guilty to fraud for his role in the salary cap scandal.

On Friday Seward was not present at the Sydney Downing Centre when his lawyer entered a plea on his behalf to the charge of dishonestly obtain financial advantage by deception.

Seward has yet to plead guilty to a second charge of publishing false misleading material to obtain advantage but it is understood this is likely and will be taken into consideration by a magistrate when he is sentenced on July 4.

Court documents state the 41-year-old dishonestly arranged and authorised false invoices and “subsequent arrangement and payment of funds to players past and present of Parramatta National Rugby League Club” sometime between November 2014 and June 2015.

The charge also states Steward “dishonestly obtained a financial advantage to wit $221,106.50 from Parramatta National Rugby league Club and Parramatta Leagues Club.”

Seward is also charged with dishonestly signing a service agreement contract that falsely provided an income of $120,000 for E-Group Security Services so that they could pay a current player at Parramatta.

Strike Force Rhodium was established in May 2016 by the State Crime Command’s Fraud and Cybercrime Squad to investigate allegations of fraud committed against Parramatta Leagues Club members.

When Seward was first charged in April this year, Fraud and Cybercrime Squad Coordinator, Detective Chief Inspector Matt Craft said detectives had more than 500,000 pieces of documentation and emails.

“It has been a tedious process so far, but our investigation is gathering momentum,” he said.

“As our inquiries continue, we are focusing on the suspected use of false invoices to disguise payments to players. It doesn’t appear to have been an isolated incident or the actions of just one individual.

“This is the second person we have charged and we anticipate more in the not too distant future.”

Gronk

Staff member
So where are the charges against the GO5 merkins Steve Sharp, Tom Issa, Peter Serrao, John Boulous and Daniel Anderson ? I though they were up to their necks in it ?

emjaycee

Coach
So where are the charges against the GO5 merkins Steve Sharp, Tom Issa, Peter Serrao, John Boulous and Daniel Anderson ? I though they were up to their necks in it ?

Did you read the article?

"This is the second person we have charged and we anticipate more in the not too distant future.”

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
As you can see here, he has prepared himself to fit in:

1172c93e0fd.jpg

T.S Quint

Coach
I bet he's happy he gave up all the info to his mate Greenberg now. I still don't see him getting any jail time though. Would be surprised if he did.

What a moron. Worst decision in the club's history to hire him.

Avenger

Immortal
I bet he's happy he gave up all the info to his mate Greenberg now. I still don't see him getting any jail time though. Would be surprised if he did.

What a moron. Worst decision in the club's history to hire him.
Never liked him. I remember when he did his first press conference with us. He spoke well enough but didn't wear a tie and I condemned here there and there.

Captain BF

Juniors
Does Ian Schubert still work for Parra or was he removed when Max came in? Sorry for the randomness of the question.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/parramatta-eels-to-make-the-past-history-20170617-gwt823.html

Parramatta Eels to make the past history
Long-suffering Parramatta fans will soon get the opportunity to end factionalism and wipe out the threat of officials involved in the salary-cap scandal from ever returning to the boardroom.

Since being parachuted into the role by the NSW Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority, Eels chairman Max Donnelly has been conducting a governance review of the Parramatta Leagues Club with a view to updating the constitution. The fact the PLC is the only registered club in NSW to be investigated by the Office of Liquor and Gaming in the past three years highlights the need for reform.

To that end, members will get a chance to vote on a raft of proposed constitutional changes at an extraordinary general meeting to be called in September. The biggest reform is rubbing out anyone who was on a Parramatta board – whether it be football, district or leagues club – before July 19, 2016, from being eligible to stand for future elections. Anyone who has had a negative finding against them from the Office of Liquor and Gaming or ILGA will also be prevented from nominating.

"The brief I've got from ILGA is simple – to make sure what happened at Parramatta in the past doesn't happen again," Donnelly said. "The easiest way to do that is eliminate the people who caused the problems of the past.

"That's my starting point, to come up with the best model I can. Where I end up will be a matter of negotiation with what members put to me."

Other mooted reforms include the abolition of honorariums, the formation of a nominations committee and office terms of three years at a time, capped at a maximum of nine years.

For the reforms to pass, 75 per cent of attending members will have to vote in favour. If successful, the likes of former chairmen Denis Fitzgerald, Steve Sharp and Roy Spagnolo will not be allowed back into the corridors of power. So too all directors who presided over the salary-cap debacle that resulted in the club being pinged 12 competition points and fined $750,000.

Donnelly, who hosted the first of two scheduled member consultation evenings during the week, may slightly tweak his proposals before the September vote. In a letter to members, he added: "I would like to stress that the exclusion of former directors of the clubs' various entities before July 2016 is not a reflection on the number of ethically sound directors who have served the club well during its history."

Interestingly, the skills matrix for candidates states that "it is not intended that directors bring, as their key skill, football skills."