What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Fights || Modern Day vs Old Days

POPEYE

Coach
As long as most don't connect like in the old days fights should be allowed, only when children see blood should the perpetrator be hypothetically castrated . . . nothing wrong with theatre when it remains so

butchmcdick

Immortal
As long as most don't connect like in the old days fights should be allowed, only when children see blood should the perpetrator be hypothetically castrated . . . nothing wrong with theatre when it remains so

Castration ?

Have you been watching the ISIS league ?

Saintsified

Bench
Nothing wrong with fights, or shoulder charges, i dont buy this player safety crap line the NRL is telling fans, America is the king of law suits and the NHL Ice Hockey dont seem to care, shoulder charges, fights etc, even the refs circle two players about to go at it and the crowd loves it, i dont see the line NRL uses, "mums wont let their kids play" in NHL.

FAKE

Last edited:

OzDragon

Coach
Nothing wrong with fights, or shoulder charges, i dont but this player safety crap line the NRL is telling fans, America is the king of law suits and the NHL Ice Hockey dont seem to care, shoulder charges, fights etc, even the refs circle two players about to go at it and the crowd loves it, i dont see the line NRL uses, "mums wont let their kids play" in NHL.

FAKE
Slightly OT,

With fighting in the NHL, there's 2 variations. There's consensual fights (usually staged) where both players drop the gloves. Refs allow this but when one player falls to the ground, they always step in. In recent seasons, players are required to leave their helmets on as well else face another penalty.

Then there's the 'real' fights, usually involves a few players. It's somewhat rare in modern NHL and refs (and linesmen) will get in between players and physically break up the fight. When this goes too far, penalties, suspensions and fines arise. Fines go to a players welfare fund which helps players struggling with injuries etc

Shoulder charges are fine if the player being hit has the puck, but contact with the head is a major penalty or game misconduct. The NRL should adopt this, allowing shoulder charges, but sin binning or sending off players who do it above the shoulders.

Then there's the pushing and shoving after the whistle but that's no different to the NRL.

My guess is the NRL is seeing the cases against the NFL and the damage concussions and so on cause to a players long term health, thus no fighting or hitting hard anymore.

Saintsified

Bench
Slightly OT,

With fighting in the NHL, there's 2 variations. There's consensual fights (usually staged) where both players drop the gloves. Refs allow this but when one player falls to the ground, they always step in. In recent seasons, players are required to leave their helmets on as well else face another penalty.

Then there's the 'real' fights, usually involves a few players. It's somewhat rare in modern NHL and refs (and linesmen) will get in between players and physically break up the fight. When this goes too far, penalties, suspensions and fines arise. Fines go to a players welfare fund which helps players struggling with injuries etc

Shoulder charges are fine if the player being hit has the puck, but contact with the head is a major penalty or game misconduct. The NRL should adopt this, allowing shoulder charges, but sin binning or sending off players who do it above the shoulders.

Then there's the pushing and shoving after the whistle but that's no different to the NRL.

My guess is the NRL is seeing the cases against the NFL and the damage concussions and so on cause to a players long term health, thus no fighting or hitting hard anymore.
You've explained it very well, clearly a better run code.

This Year?

Immortal
If players cared about their safety then they wouldn't get into fights. The NRL shouldn't be held responsible for their actions. The niggling which has become a major sore point in our game is so unattractive to purists and casual fans that it's made our game look worse than what it was before it was changed.

At least when there was a fight, it was a talking point for the game which made people curious and want to watch it.

JJ

Immortal
Bundy was a scary motherf**ker

Where's footage of Kevin Tamati going all Mike Tyson on Greg Dowling

Latest posts