What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest Australian team of all time

DiegoNT

First Grade
Andrew Johns, as great as he was, is not even in the discussion when it comes to Australian representation.

Thurston, Lewis and especially Lockyer had much more success than Johns while representing Australia.

Of Johns's first 14 tests, only 3 were played at halfback. 2 were against minnows, and 1 was a loss to a NZ.

Yes, his other 9 tests were brilliant, but his career does not match up to the other contenders at all.

He won man of the match in the world cup final in 1995 and correct me if I'm wrong but i believe he was also player of the tournament as well? Considering that Australia was completely written off before that tournament due to the super league ban it's a remarkable achievement.
He wore number 9, packed into scrums and defended in the middle like a 9, but then went into 1st receiver in attack to play the halfback role. Makes it more remarkable.
To say he wasn't good at the start of his international career is a bit wrong

He won man of the match in the world cup final in 1995 and correct me if I'm wrong but i believe he was also player of the tournament as well? Considering that Australia was completely written off before that tournament due to the super league ban it's a remarkable achievement.
He wore number 9, packed into scrums and defended in the middle like a 9, but then went into 1st receiver in attack to play the halfback role. Makes it more remarkable.
To say he wasn't good at the start of his international career is a bit wrong

All good, all true, but doesn't take away from my argument that his international career is in no way as impressive as the other candidates, Lewis and Lockyer.

One of them partners Thurston if you're actually going of stats, not misplaced nostalgia.

POPEYE

Coach
If you were born after 1990 there would be greats of the game you would never have seen, except in b/w or crap colour film.
Don't know about that, I bought a colour tv in '74 because the AMCO Cup was beginning, everyone said to wait until they became cheaper but f**k that I said . . . every game between then and your 1990 was magical compared to what came before . . . there must be replays available

ed-grimley

Bench
Don't know about that, I bought a colour tv in '74 because the AMCO Cup was beginning, everyone said to wait until they became cheaper but f**k that I said . . . every game between then and your 1990 was magical compared to what came before . . . there must be replays available
Yeah, I remember being up on the roof in sub-zero temperatures in Goulburn trying to get pictures of the AMCO Cup from Wollongong.
Ì actually saw, as you obviously did, all those players.
This lot wouldn't know Ron Costello from Elvis Costello.

coolsteve

Juniors
Yeah, I remember being up on the roof in sub-zero temperatures in Goulburn trying to get pictures of the AMCO Cup from Wollongong.
Ì actually saw, as you obviously did, all those players.
This lot wouldn't know Ron Costello from Elvi s Costello.
Ron didnt wear glasses, hope this helps

POPEYE

Coach
Last edited:

greg

Juniors

POPEYE

Coach
Western Divisions TV Ted Ellery. Good memories there Pop.
I'll show my age here and insist this thread definitely needs more Fulton.. Not the pain in the arse selector, but the once in a lifetime brilliant 5/8, centre I watched regularly growing up.
Those were the days when teams were demoralized by 2 point field goals . . . Bozo stood out because he was the best at it . . . he was tossing up between League and the Army when he first started so the press said