What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most Prized Dragons Items ?

Gareth67

First Grade
Oh , and by the way , my claim to fame ( although it's water under the bridge now ) is that I once had a puss right alongside Henry Tanata , at the Sunset Hotel on Canterbury Road one day . Surely that must rank pretty high on the list ?

Old Timer

Coach
LOL ! Sammy , that is exactly the way that I remember him . We were sitting next to the fence that day and I always recall some ' hick ' in a Parramatta jersey , calling out to him - " don't get your pants dirty Stanley " . I felt so sorry for him , but it didn't seem to worry him too much , as he did score a try that day .

But I also recall how pale he was , almost white , which made that dark oily hair ( with the part , dead centre of his head ) of his , stand out even more . I believe that he was English ( not that it was his fault ) , still done a great job for the Saints in those years .
Stan was born in Cairns
His career was disrupted badly with chronic knee problems
Played only 57 1st grade games in total and crossed for 36 tries many of which many were long range.
Leading try scorer in the 68 season with 22 I think from memory.
Read the other day that he sadly passed away a few years back at only 67.
Bryclreamed hair and big shoulder pads with his jersey collar turned in under them but boy he sure could run.

Gareth67

First Grade
Stan was born in Cairns
His career was disrupted badly with chronic knee problems
Played only 57 1st grade games in total and crossed for 36 tries many of which many were long range.
Leading try scorer in the 68 season with 22 I think from memory.
Read the other day that he sadly passed away a few years back at only 67.
Bryclreamed hair and big shoulder pads with his jersey collar turned in under them but boy he sure could run.

Sad to hear that O.T. And not all that old . Did forget about the shoulder pads though , he appeared the unassuming type of person , in a team of stars . Still certainly put a smile on many Saint's fans faces and will always be remembered as a great team player .

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Breathing fire poster still stands up ( can't believe it was nearly 7 years ago ! )

Also have a Rugby League news program from 1963..Wasn't so much who played firsts but who played lower grades. Bruce Pollard, Johnny Greaves ,George Taylsforth, Robin Gourlay , Peter Armstrong , Dinny O'brien , Brian James, and for the Rabbits Mick Falla, Bob McCarthy,Alan Heiler,. Adds for Millers beer , Stak's Holden ( Sales staff Rex Mossop, Trevor Allan, Ian Walsh & Ken Thornett ) Hollands of Rockdale ,TAA , Rural bank. Also team lists for the inter - district Competition ; Bankstown, Kingsford , Wentworthville, Cronulla-Caringbah, University and Arncliffe , Liverpool, Penrith, Ryde Eastwood & Guildford.

Denis
I recon most teams would have like to have a first grade team as good as those reserve grade teams.

Coffs dragon

Bench
My most prized Dragons item was not material but the absolute thrill & joy being at the SCG for the 1977 & 1979 GF victories. This also includes the 1st ever drawn GF in 1977 against the Eels when we had to return midweek to replay the match. It was like double dipping.....2 for the price of 1 Grand Finals in 1 week.
I'll never ever forget 77 & 79 driving back to Kogarah in convoys of Dragons vehicles.....singing, yelling, screaming, honking all heading to the Leagues Club or Carlton Pub to celebrate LONG and HARD.
Harry Bath was an absolute legend and genius coach and the players of that era are still up there as some of my very favourite Dragons. Not quite in the Status of Chang & Billy Smith, but very close. Great memories that will last my lifetime.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
My most prized Dragons item was not material but the absolute thrill & joy being at the SCG for the 1977 & 1979 GF victories. This also includes the 1st ever drawn GF in 1977 against the Eels when we had to return midweek to replay the match. It was like double dipping.....2 for the price of 1 Grand Finals in 1 week.
I'll never ever forget 77 & 79 driving back to Kogarah in convoys of Dragons vehicles.....singing, yelling, screaming, honking all heading to the Leagues Club or Carlton Pub to celebrate LONG and HARD.
Harry Bath was an absolute legend and genius coach and the players of that era are still up there as some of my very favourite Dragons. Not quite in the Status of Chang & Billy Smith, but very close. Great memories that will last my lifetime.

It was a great time

ALSGI

Bench
Ah the memories. I have experienced a number of mentions in the posts, from training clinics at Jubilee with Changa and Billy Smith, chewing the fat with Roy Ferguson whilst he ran the Carlton Newsagency and with Harry Bath and his newsagency on the Gold Coast. Also Billy Smith, Henry Tatana and Graeme Quinn delivering chickens (they all worked for Ian Walsh's chicken company) to a relatives takeaway shop.
I suppose my most recent and unusual bits of memorabilia are the 2010 stamps Australia Post released celbrating our premiership victory. I think I bought about 4 lots of them. Got the majority of the players to sign them. The other unusual piece was a 2010 grand final ball which i got at the grand final breakfast. Got the majority of the team to sign this also.
Memories of a great era of Dragons players.
I was one of Roy Ferguson's paper boys and admired him greatly. Gave me a lecture about integrity once, when one of his customers milk money left on the porch went missing. I had to look up integrity in the dictionary and offered to pay the money from my pay the next day, but his customer had found it anyway. Mr Ferguson took a liking to me after that. Lol.
I remember Changa pulling up next to us at a servo in Hurstville. I'll never forget he gave the attendant a green $2 bill and said "fill it up mate". I was in awe as I watched on, I think it was a new Hk Premier ?? Not sure but it was newer than our oldish FB. Then he said "keep the change mate" lol.
Tatana's duaghter was a childhood sweetheart at school too.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Ah ALSGI those tales of Roy Ferguson bring back such wonderful boyhood memories. I remember being down the front row of Jubilee Oval as a young boy being mesmerised with the size of Roy Fergusons thighs and the sheer power he had in them legs. Small in height but he was a friggin power machine. Hated him at the Magpies, but loved him once he became a Dragon.

mickeylane

Bench
He was playing for us - actually playing in the centres and cleaned the floor w John Dorahy scored a 30 metre try after an arcing run in the corner !

mbk78

Juniors
He was playing for us - actually playing in the centres and cleaned the floor w John Dorahy scored a 30 metre try after an arcing run in the corner !
Okay thanks. I'm guessing it was back earlier in his career while Chang was still playing. If I recall correctly Lord Ted made his international debut as a centre. But he really hit his peak when he moved to FB where he had the room to show off his speed and silky skills including the chip and regather.

Old Timer

Coach
Okay thanks. I'm guessing it was back earlier in his career while Chang was still playing. If I recall correctly Lord Ted made his international debut as a centre. But he really hit his peak when he moved to FB where he had the room to show off his speed and silky skills including the chip and regather.
Did you know that Lord Ted went on a Kangaroo tour (under Changa who was Capt /Coach) and whilst he was in France he got terribly homesick as some young blokes do and he wrote a letter home to his mum.
The shit heads in the media managed to get wind of it and posted lots of nasty shit in the paper.
So the press were and are still scum bags but Lord Ted was a great footballer.

Latest posts