What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul McGregor - contract extension

Old Timer

Coach
OT, keep up the good fight. Stick it to the man! Otherwise this great club may fall to its knees. Its people like you that make a difference.
I thank you for that because if left to people like you it will probably end up there.
By the way do you not think the club is in a fairly parlous state compared to its former glory?
Not sure how old you are or what you know of this once mighty club but today it is a poor imitation of its once great self.
It's great history is etched firmly in my mind and TBPH I hate it when I look how lacklustre it has been in recent years and it is annoying when apologists say that it is all ok.

MilanDragon

Juniors
Change your avatar to Jock Strap as you love cradling their balls don't you.
Have you ever disagreed with anything the club has done and if so would love to know what?
Why do you contest that criticism of the club and / or coach means we don't support the team?
I have loyally followed the Big Red V for a long lifetime but have never been too frightened to criticise it when I deemed it necessary.
Even through the golden run it copped it's fair share of criticism some warranted some not but all were entitled to their opinion.

It's fine to criticise when it's warranted. I actually think you make a lot of valid points at times.

No one is questioning your loyalty to the Red V but the frustration is in my personal opinion you can't even concede the club is making progress. If someone always picks out the negative it loses affect because that person is always seen as pessimistic. However I believe your points would get across more if at times we were to see you also point to some positives.

Short of winning a premiership, what do you see as a successful season? A team predicted for the wooden spoon being top 4 wouldn't be a vast improvement to you?

GC Dragon

Juniors
If true and he is re-signed for the next few years then that should immediately mean the training wheels are off , he is to be treated as a professional fully fledged NRL coach and not a person that inherited a mess, there are no piss arse lame duck excuses, the buck stops with him re team performance and the contract is is to be treated as a professional master / servant relationship.
With him having the security of his position finalised there is no valid reason for his conservative approach to continue and we should therefore see marked improvement in several areas almost immediately.
If none of the above actually transpires then it will be horrendous so here is hoping and good luck to him and the playing group.
I have no problem with Mary for another 2 years mainly because there is no better option . But I agree The fear of failure approach now needs to be buried for good.

Crush

Coach
I thank you for that because if left to people like you it will probably end up there.
By the way do you not think the club is in a fairly parlous state compared to its former glory?
Not sure how old you are or what you know of this once mighty club but today it is a poor imitation of its once great self.
It's great history is etched firmly in my mind and TBPH I hate it when I look how lacklustre it has been in recent years and it is annoying when apologists say that it is all ok.
I am 41 years old. Probably 20 or 30 years younger than you.
The fact that we have been so lacklustre over recent years is all the more reason to be exciting about where we are now and where we are headed.
OT, you are only going to be happy with a complete dominance because that is the era that you grew up in.
I am happy to be playing finals footy more years than not and challenging for the premiership. I also accept that its swings and roundabouts in the nrl with the current modern day salary cap.
Its a different expectation we have. And perhaps that is our age difference, a different generation of supporter?

Old Timer

Coach
It's fine to criticise when it's warranted. I actually think you make a lot of valid points at times.

No one is questioning your loyalty to the Red V but the frustration is in my personal opinion you can't even concede the club is making progress. If someone always picks out the negative it loses affect because that person is always seen as pessimistic. However I believe your points would get across more if at times we were to see you also point to some positives.

Short of winning a premiership, what do you see as a successful season? A team predicted for the wooden spoon being top 4 wouldn't be a vast improvement to you?
You obviously don't read all my posts perhaps you should and then get back to me.

Old Timer

Coach
I am 41 years old. Probably 20 or 30 years younger than you.
The fact that we have been so lacklustre over recent years is all the more reason to be exciting about where we are now and where we are headed.
OT, you are only going to be happy with a complete dominance because that is the era that you grew up in.
I am happy to be playing finals footy more years than not and challenging for the premiership. I also accept that its swings and roundabouts in the nrl with the current modern day salary cap.
Its a different expectation we have. And perhaps that is our age difference, a different generation of supporter?
You may be partially correct re the generation thing if you had of been around then you may very well feel the same.
Unfortunately many misunderstand the essence of what some of the older people say.
We want the club to be successful and that doesn't mean we have to win every year but in recent years its efforts have been appalling and it has lurched from crisis to crisis.
We want the club to be professional and its actions in recent years have been anything but professional in respect of its coaching, recruitment, pathways, management of the members assets etc.
One moment in the sun like now is not enough to convince us we have turned the corner and it is all going gangbusters as many of us have seen all this before several times over.
I hope we keep on our uphill climb but don't be surprised that I think the jury is still out at the half way point of a season after what we have put up with in recent years.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Im torn on this one but can't see any better suitors at this stage and with how we have gone so far this year.
The problem is that there is still a lot of work to be done and surely it could of been resolved at seasons end with a full review. There was nowhere else Paul was going to go so why the rush?

Breathe OV. Its over now. Hes with us for a while longer. Just try and be positive and support him. Support the team. Support the club. Support Doust. They have our best interests at heart after all......
Lols.

Haha, lols indeed.

As of today and after 40 years, I have officially stopped supporting my beloved Dragons.

This is a sad day for the club and for most of you muppets who either support or remain ambivalent to this horror signing.

I've never given up on anything in my life until now. And I depart a broken man.

Farewell BTN, OT, grouch et al.

We, on this forum, have had some good times during these dark days.

Farewell.

Go Storm.

Straight Shooter
(the last time you'll see this iconic sign off)

Old Timer

Coach
Haha, lols indeed.

As of today and after 40 years, I have officially stopped supporting my beloved Dragons.

This is a sad day for the club and for most of you muppets who either support or remain ambivalent to this horror signing.

I've never given up on anything in my life until now. And I depart a broken man.

Farewell.

Go Storm.

Straight Shooter
Come on OV as I said to Ronnie Dobbs some time back don't give into the bastards keep on fighting and be a dog with a bone.
FMD I said similar to you when they gave the Capt Coach to Walsh in 65 and they ultimately let Ryan go in 66 because of it.
Well that brought about the end of the great run and there was no darker day in my footy life and today's decision is minor lesion compared to the autopsy of 1967.

duck

Juniors
Haha, lols indeed.

Farewell.

Go Storm.

Straight Shooter
See ya

getsmarty

Immortal
Paul McGregor re-signs with St George Illawarra Dragons
Andrew Parkinson
7 Jun 2017, 5:32 p.m.
r0_286_3898_2486_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

St George Illawarra Dragons coach Paul McGregor. Picture: John Veage

St George Illawarra are expected to announce on Thursday morning they have re-signed coach Paul McGregor.

The Dragons have extended McGregor’s contract, believed to be for a further two seasons, after the club’s impressive start to the season.

News Corp have reported McGregor announced the decision to his players on Wednesday.

St George Illawarra are in third place after 13 rounds. The club will formally make the announcement tomorrow ahead of their clash with Canterbury at ANZ Stadium on Monday.

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4715887/mcgregor-to-re-sign-with-dragons/?cs=3833

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons commit to McGregor with new two-year NRL deal

Tim Barrow@@TheBarrow

7 Jun 2017, 5:57 p.m.
r0_0_4363_2909_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Way forward: Paul McGregor (right). Picture: Adam McLean

DRAGONS coach Paul McGregor has been rewarded for one of the most remarkable transformations of the NRL era, signing a new two-year contract extension at the club.

After their dismal 2016 campaign where St George Illawarra struggled to fire a shot in attack, McGregor’s extreme makeover has led to them rising to third on the NRL ladder halfway through this season.

By committing to McGregor, the Dragons have now effectively already painted a picture of the future, with Brisbane halfback Ben Hunt signed on a lucrative six-year deal from 2018, captain Gareth Widdop staying on, but representative fullback Josh Dugan heading for Cronulla.

However, McGregor can now firmly fix his focus on a finals campaign, with an 8-4 record heading into Monday’s battle with the struggling Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium.

The Mercury was on Wednesday night told the deal had been close since the days before State of Origin I, before McGregor told the players at WIN Stadium on Wednesday.

The new deal continues an extraordinary personal journey for McGregor, who was St George Illawarra’s captain in the inaugural joint venture season in 1999, where they lost the grand final to Melbourne.

Having made his playing debut in 1991 with the Illawarra Steelers, McGregor was the club’s performance and conditioning coach when cast aside by Wayne Bennett in 2009. As Bennett won the drought-breaking title the following year, McGregor won premierships with Wests in the Illawarra competition.

He then returned to the Dragons to work as an assistant to Steve Price, eventually replacing him midway through the 2014 campaign.

McGregor’s coaching future looked in doubt at the start of this year, after the Dragons managed only 14 points per game to miss the 2016 finals.

But Widdop’s form reflects McGregor’s overhaul, the Dragons now the second-highest scoring team in the NRL. Widdop is one of this year’s leading pointscorers with 99. McGregor’s new two-year contract will be officially announced at St George Leagues Club on Thursday morning.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-mcgregor-with-new-two-year-nrl-deal/?cs=3713

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Haha, lols indeed.

Farewell.

Go Storm.

Straight Shooter

Definitely a good thing...you weren't really a true supporter...

dino2170

Juniors
This is a dark day in Saints illustrious history, The fact that Mcrone is in the team is justification of marys tunnel vision. Oh our misery.

Haha, lols indeed.

Farewell.

Go Storm.

Straight Shooter
Hallelujah!

Storm huh? Straight Shooter to Poo Shooter