What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for Moylan to 5/8

Fibroman

First Grade
Moylan has the best hands in the NRL and clearly not afraid to take the line on himself. As a fan it is great to see him with the ball in his hands. Whatever drugs Griffin was injesting to keep him at fullback for the past 2 seasons, I'm glad he is off them now. Say no to drugs in sport!

OldPanther

Coach
I'm terrified that Griffin will move him once Carty comes back under the idea the he can do what he does now from fullback.

Pomoz

Bench
I'm terrified that Griffin will move him once Carty comes back under the idea the he can do what he does now from fullback.
He has no need to now because we have a viable option at fullback. Edwards has shown he can step up and do the job well and really add to our attacking potency.

OldPanther

Coach
He has no need to now because we have a viable option at fullback. Edwards has shown he can step up and do the job well and really add to our attacking potency.

I hope you're right. There is precedent with all the talk of Matt being our longterm/best fullback at the club before Cartwright was injured. Also take into account he was moved through injury rather than the coach's choice.

Pomoz

Bench
I hope you're right. There is precedent with all the talk of Matt being our longterm/best fullback at the club before Cartwright was injured. Also take into account he was moved through injury rather than the coach's choice.
I think there is more to it than that. Edwards was playing Holden cup last year. There was no guarantee he could step up and the club would be nervous about throwing him in at the deep end and getting him injured. As it turns out, Edwards is brilliant and although he is only small, he seems to be incredibly strong and definitely fearless. He got smashed a few times last night and just kept going.

tripster

Juniors
Yeah I thought that too and what about TMM..........

Yeah true - could have been the exact same thing, Moylan down on form due to issues in his personal life caused by the whole TMM cheating thing (if it is true of course).

All we need now is for it to come out that something has been going on in Tamou's life off the field to complete the trifecta

OldPanther

Coach
I think there is more to it than that. Edwards was playing Holden cup last year. There was no guarantee he could step up and the club would be nervous about throwing him in at the deep end and getting him injured. As it turns out, Edwards is brilliant and although he is only small, he seems to be incredibly strong and definitely fearless. He got smashed a few times last night and just kept going.

I definitely prefer this way of looking at it.

Pomoz

Bench
Yeah true - could have been the exact same thing, Moylan down on form due to issues in his personal life caused by the whole TMM cheating thing (if it is true of course).

All we need now is for it to come out that something has been going on in Tamou's life off the field to complete the trifecta
Brilliant LOL :)

The Realist

Juniors
Moylan is the best half at the club and has been for the last 3-4 years. Anyone who saw him play in the u20's then in reserve grade at halfback and 5/8 knew how talented he was. His problem was his build and he was hidden in defence by being put at fullback whilst allowing other halves to play in 6 & 7.

The emergence of Cleary and TMM was pleasing but at the same time frustrating because they really got in the way of Moylan for an extra year (as well as stubborn Griffin!) The bloke easily has the best hands in the competition and once he sorts out his kicking game and his leadership skills he will be in an Aussie jersey. It is a small tragedy that the 1st 3-4 year of his 1st grade career was essentially wasted playing in the wrong position.

The best thing about moving Moylan to #6 is that it greatly improves 2 positions. He is a MUCH better 5/8 than Carty, but also Edwards is a much better supporting and running fullback than Moylan. Edwards always seems to know when to pop up just as a forward is offloading...then makes some great runs. Moylan just didn't have the same running impact or support instinct.

Pomoz

Bench
Moylan is the best half at the club and has been for the last 3-4 years. Anyone who saw him play in the u20's then in reserve grade at halfback and 5/8 knew how talented he was. His problem was his build and he was hidden in defence by being put at fullback whilst allowing other halves to play in 6 & 7.

The emergence of Cleary and TMM was pleasing but at the same time frustrating because they really got in the way of Moylan for an extra year (as well as stubborn Griffin!) The bloke easily has the best hands in the competition and once he sorts out his kicking game and his leadership skills he will be in an Aussie jersey. It is a small tragedy that the 1st 3-4 year of his 1st grade career was essentially wasted playing in the wrong position.

The best thing about moving Moylan to #6 is that it greatly improves 2 positions. He is a MUCH better 5/8 than Carty, but also Edwards is a much better supporting and running fullback than Moylan. Edwards always seems to know when to pop up just as a forward is offloading...then makes some great runs. Moylan just didn't have the same running impact or support instinct.
Almost right. It improves four positions. Merrin becomes our best prop and Tamou hits the bench and Carty becomes a ball playing lock.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach

Spot on. It's no coincidence we look like a top 8 team now. Top 4 when we have good completions. Having the right people in key positions is massive.

betcats

Referee
Im really looking forward to watching the Moylan/Yeo combination develop on that left edge. Yeo runs great lines and with a ball player like Moylan feeding him he will only get better. The tackle prior to the match winning try was a simple link up between the two that got the defence moving backwards just enough to allow Moylan to make something happen the next play. I thought their timing was a bit off during the game, Yeo was getting the ball too early but that will get better.

Last edited:
Spot on. It's no coincidence we look like a top 8 team now. Top 4 when we have good completions. Having the right people in key positions is massive.

Top 4 is still amazingly possible because of the cramped table.

We have 5 games against teams above us on the ladder ( cowboys x 2, Manly x 2, Dragons)

And 6 against teams below (Bulldogs, Raiders, Tigers, bunnies, warriors, Titans)

I'd say we need 8 from 11. (32 points will be a good shot at top 4 this year)

OldPanther

Coach
Top 4 is still amazingly possible because of the cramped table.

We have 5 games against teams above us on the ladder ( cowboys x 2, Manly x 2, Dragons)

And 6 against teams below (Bulldogs, Raiders, Tigers, bunnies, warriors, Titans)

I'd say we need 8 from 11. (32 points will be a good shot at top 4 this year)

I like the sound of that. Plenty of opportunity to take points from the top 8 for ourselves.