What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 thus far

IFR33K

Coach
Ok fellow eels fans, I don't often start blogs or posts often, but I wanted your thoughts on our season so far.

Just over the halfway mark, and we've won in patches and lost in them too. Going by that trend, we're due for a loss against the merge this weekend.

What I want to know is, what's up with this pattern? Is it confidence, injuries, game plan, tactics, coaching staff, roster or leadership????

Many had us penciled in to make the 8, around mid table. Mid may through 17, and that's where we sit. Can we turn it around or should we be looking to clear some deadwood for 18???

Fire away merkins!!

Chipmunk

Coach
I think this is just the sort of performances you get from a mid-table at best roster. We're about where I thought we'd be at this stage of the season. I probably would've thought we would be a bit more competitive against genuine title contenders, but I guess that's also where we're at.

I'm happy to give the majority of this squad another season, but until we find a couple of middle forwards as good or better than Brown to add to the squad (Evans has that potential, but I'm sure so did Lussick) then we will continue to be mid-table at best.

eel01s

Bench
I am disappointed with our defence. Teams are scoring too easily on the edges.

Other than that, it has been a terrible season so far in terms of injuries. If that improves we will make the eight.

IFR33K

Coach
I think this is just the sort of performances you get from a mid-table at best roster. We're about where I thought we'd be at this stage of the season. I probably would've thought we would be a bit more competitive against genuine title contenders, but I guess that's also where we're at.

I'm happy to give the majority of this squad another season, but until we find a couple of middle forwards as good or better than Brown to add to the squad (Evans has that potential, but I'm sure so did Lussick) then we will continue to be mid-table at best.

Two flogging at the hands of title heavyweights is a little concerning to be honest. Is it the case of not have a genuine leader at the club or a coaching issue? Penrith have quickley turned their season around, can we do the same? Seems as though we are cruising in third gear, struggling to go to the next level.

IFR33K

Coach
I am disappointed with our defence. Teams are scoring too easily on the edges.

Other than that, it has been a terrible season so far in terms of injuries. If that improves we will make the eight.

There's been some games where I've had no confidence at all in our 'd'.

IFR33K

Coach
Maybe it's a psychological thing. Maybe we've lost the game before a ball is kicked (roosters and cowboys game). If so, how do we stop the rot?

RazorRam0n

Juniors
i predicted us 8-12 at start of season so i'm not disappointed. comes down to your expectations and how realistically you are evaluating our roster.

we clearly have some gaps up front...that is the biggest reason for our inconsistency imo, you just can't keep punching above your weight week in week out.

it is hindsight, but someone like paul vaughn would have done wonders for our side as he has done the dragons. the plus side is we still speculatively have enough cash to do something about it.

ParraSteve

Juniors
We're definitely a middle of the road team, not the worst team out there but unless we have our top 17 out there and firing we will struggle to win or even be competitive against the top teams.

Gronk

Staff member
Injuries and an out of form Semi (major shit on his mind) hurt us. Bev getting busted and getting 2nd year syndrome hasn't helped either.

Chipmunk

Coach
Two flogging at the hands of title heavyweights is a little concerning to be honest. Is it the case of not have a genuine leader at the club or a coaching issue? Penrith have quickley turned their season around, can we do the same? Seems as though we are cruising in third gear, struggling to go to the next level.

Penrith's squad is considerably better than ours. They're a genuine title contender if they can put it together, so are the Raiders.

Plenty of our blokes are over rated to be honest.

Noise

Coach
In the prediction thread I said we would come in 9th. We are currently 9th. 9th is shit.

Djay

Juniors
Been majorly disappointed with our defence more then anything else. I knew we would struggle cattle wise this year but that doesn't excuse some of the awful soft tries we have conceded out wide and up the guts. I have zero faith in our defence, especially on our line but in general it's been quite lacklustre. I have no idea why it has been that way especially considering how defensively resolute we were last year.

I was expecting a little much (maybe a lot to do with the motivation of last would spur us on) I thought we would be between 6-8th, but currently I am predicting anywhere from 9-12.

Injuries obviously haven't helped but we haven't really stuck it to any of the bigger teams and 2 floggings within a month is a major worry, I feel like at any time a decent team could blow us away.

I can't see any of it changing unless we recruit astutely, in need of 1 preferably 2 more middle forwards (One more on top of Evans) but even then he has major question marks over how consistently he can aim up, a hooker is essential and I would say we could do with another backrower but that depends on who is available.

Just a little concerning with our leaking of points it's a major issue, losing the ruck constantly and not getting over the advantage line doesn't help either, just cannot see who is available to solve that for us next year.

emjaycee

Coach
I reckon we will finish between 6th and 12th, depending on injuries, suspensions and the rub of the green in some cases. A bit like all the other middle of the road teams who after 14 rounds have won between 6 and 8 of their games.

Bazal

Post Whore
We're pretty much as I expected. Probably a little disappointed with our defence and discipline at times but overall we are a mid table squad with the potential to go on a run who is playing like a mid table squad and not going on a run at this stage.

Realistically looking to the future

-Our backline could use a Semi replacement, Word is we are talking to Koroibete. IF we were to get him, a backline of French, Hoffman, Gutherson, Jennings, Koroibete is right up there. And if we can convince Semi to come back mid-season....well that would just be awesome
-Our halves are top 4 halves if they play to their potential. Both are elite attackers at their best, and Corey has improved his defence massively. Consistency is the issue.
-The back row is very good. Ma'u is one of the better back rowers in the game IMO. Tepai will be much more effective with a real right half, and his defence is already top shelf. Edwards is possibly the most dynamic bench back rower in the game and he lifts our attitude when he comes on.
-Lock is good. Brown has been awesome and Scott started slow but has found his form again
-Prop is pretty good. It will be interesting to see how Evans goes and whether we sign Meehan. If Evans plays to his potential the front row is certainly good enough.
-Hooker is a big problem. Pritchard is not an 80 minute NRL hooker. No ifs or buts about it. Peats would be an awesome signing, but if not I'd like to see us grab a decent NRL quality defensive hooker just to share the duties and I think that will improve us while we search for a quality hooker.

Overall I see no reason we can't be a top 4 side next year with a couple of tweaks. If we can't nab a hooker and a winger then I'll change my mind a bit but at this stage I think we're on track for a decent year next year.

Cue the cries of "accepting mediocrity".... lol

The Colonel

Immortal
Our biggest issue has been the hooking role and injuries. I can't remember too many games where we have had to shuffle our lineup to accomodate injuries. That really stretches the defence.

Seems to be one genuine hooker in the club at the moment as King is totally out of flavour. I hope we do look to change that situation though there isn't much available. Sione Katoa at the Panthers would be a good prospect and reasonably cheap. And I have high hopes for
Mahoney and Tonise.

Our biggest issue has been the hooking role and injuries. I can't remember too many games where we have had to shuffle our lineup to accomodate injuries. That really stretches the defence.

Seems to be one genuine hooker in the club at the moment as King is totally out of flavour. I hope we do look to change that situation though there isn't much available. Sione Katoa at the Panthers would be a good prospect and reasonably cheap. And I have high hopes for
Mahoney and Tonise.
Mahoney would be alright but if he replaces BA's shampoo with superglue it won't have the same effect.

Latest posts