What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CA tv rights discussion

TheParraboy

Staff member
Masterchef and Sophie Monk as the next Bachelorette with get the station back on track...:p

Be a disaster if ch9 got the bbl,I fear its heading that way though

undertaker

Coach
Masterchef and Sophie Monk as the next Bachelorette with get the station back on track...:p

Be a disaster if ch9 got the bbl,I fear its heading that way though
I hope Ch9 don't get the BBL. I think the ratings would drop quite a bit. Don't like the thought of possibly hearing Warne and Slater

Hypothetically, would Ch9 spread the commentary team across when BBL matches occur on the same day as test matches? Or, would they recruit even more commentators?

Timbo

Staff member
With the massive losses they're reporting I don't see how Ten will possibly be able to hang on to the BBL. I doubt Seven will want it either as they have all the tennis.

Looks like we'll be seeing the Heat every Friday night next season.

undertaker

Coach
They would not fit with the sort of 'vibe' of the competition at all. Ratings nose dive.
I 100% agree with you.

I was a bit skeptical when I first remember Ch10 obtaining the BBL rights as they did a relatively poor job in their previous cricket broadcasting role of televising the XXXX Gold beach cricket during 2007-09 (does anyone remember this?). However, Ch10 have done very well to connect with the important demographics since they obtained the tv rights in the 2013/14 season and this is reflected in the large increase in tv ratings and crowd attendances over the past few seasons.

The only negative with Ch10 is the constant cross-promotion with The Project and all the drop-kicks associated with that show, as well as the numerous AFL references. But on a whole, Waugh/Gilchrist/Ponting/Fleming/Symonds have fit in well at Ch10 and I feel if Ch9 took over and used the same commentators they have on their test/ODI telecasts, that the ratings would definitely nose dive as they don't connect with the core demographics that Ch10 have.

In addition, another important point is if Ch9 did get BBL at a discount as a result of having it bundled into tv rights package that is being proposed by UBS, I don't see Ch9 making the same commitment to promoting the BBL that Ch10 have. It's clear as the light of day that Ch9 have got UBS to write a favourable market valuation so that they can force CA's hand into giving them the BBL as a part of bundle/package without having to pay the real market value for it, which is exactly what they did with the NRL tv rights, as State of Origin and Kangaroos test matches as individual components are worth much more (synergy) than the combination of all parts. In addition, next year, the BBL is expanding from 32 to 40 games during the regular season.

Whether you like it or not, the BBL is in direct competition with the tests/ODIs for the $. There's only so much cricket that fans are prepared to either watch on tv or attend at the game. Tickets for tests/ODIs have been grossly overpriced for many years and something has got to give: strong test/ODI/BBL crowds across all 3 forms of the game is unsustainable. If CA had their way, Australia would be playing either England or India in a test or ODI series every summer, as that's where the big money is regarding gate revenue and tv rights value. CA have banned the Aussie players in the national squad from participating in the BBL, as they know that if they rescheduled the cricket season to allow the test/ODI players to participate in the BBL, the popularity of the BBL would increase even more, and the gap between BBL and test/ODI popularity and viewership would expand even more than it currently is.

The only adjustments to the commentary I would make at Ch10 is get rid of Andy Maher/Mark Howard/Damien Fleming, keep Waugh/Gilchrist/Ponting/Symonds and add another couple of overseas commentators. They'd do a very good job if they ever got to call tests or ODIs.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
With the massive losses they're reporting I don't see how Ten will possibly be able to hang on to the BBL. I doubt Seven will want it either as they have all the tennis.

Ch7 are officially out of contention due to their commitments with the Australian Open, which yields them high ratings.

ABC and SBS simply don't have the money to fork out what CA are after.

So, that leaves Ch9 and 10, as Fox Sports can't make an outright bid due to the anti-siphoning laws.

Looks like we'll be seeing the Heat every Friday night next season.

ROFL! I would piss myself laughing if that actually happened. That would be soooooooo typical of Ch9 to do that, given their track record with the NRL

TheParraboy

Staff member
I hope Ch9 don't get the BBL. I think the ratings would drop quite a bit. Don't like the thought of possibly hearing Warne and Slater

Hypothetically, would Ch9 spread the commentary team across when BBL matches occur on the same day as test matches? Or, would they recruit even more commentators?

Surely the great James Brayshaw comes back as head commentary for bbl it it goes to ch9?

You would imagine they would need to recruit some new faces. If they wanted to succeed maybe get the likes of Okeefe and/or roy and HG in the mix for a bit of banter. It wouldnt hurt if they signed up gilly/Symmo/punter either to get that bbl feel most fans enjoy

TheParraboy

Staff member
Whether you like it or not, the BBL is in direct competition with the tests/ODIs for the $. There's only so much cricket that fans are prepared to either watch on tv or attend at the game. Tickets for tests/ODIs have been grossly overpriced for many years and something has got to give: strong test/ODI/BBL crowds across all 3 forms of the game is unsustainable. If CA had their way, Australia would be playing either England or India in a test or ODI series every summer, as that's where the big money is regarding gate revenue and tv rights value. CA have banned the Aussie players in the national squad from participating in the BBL, as they know that if they rescheduled the cricket season to allow the test/ODI players to participate in the BBL, the popularity of the BBL would increase even more, and the gap between BBL and test/ODI popularity and viewership would expand even more than it currently is.

Your right it is very expensive. I have been to the SCG for a few tests now last 7-8 years when the Victor Trumper stand was opened. It is now on the wrong side of $140 for a day there (best views for cricket imo at the scg though). Concourse is the cheapest from $60-$70, but you most likely sit in the sun all day and don't get the best views. you could go to 3 BBL games for well under $100 without the sun to contend with.

I think if ch9 if they get the gig, they should treat it seriously as it can be a cash cow for them in a non ratings period. The only down side is we will continue to see cross promotion of tv shows and repetitive commercials.

undertaker

Coach
Surely the great James Brayshaw comes back as head commentary for bbl it it goes to ch9?

Thankfully, I don't think Brayshaw will be back at Ch9 as he had a falling out with management over contract negotiations. Reading between the lines, it seems, unsurprisingly, he had an inflated view of his own worth and talent, and the new management saw right through it:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...e/news-story/d21a3486b2fcd1e9d860792b16d0e57d

You would imagine they would need to recruit some new faces. If they wanted to succeed maybe get the likes of Okeefe and/or roy and HG in the mix for a bit of banter. It wouldnt hurt if they signed up gilly/Symmo/punter either to get that bbl feel most fans enjoy

Punter is too straight and direct in his commentary to ever blend in with the Ch9 persona. Also, he had a minor falling out with Clarke over the autobiography and threats/ambition of taking the captaincy.

Symmo...............NOT while Clarke is still at Ch9. There will be a Clarke-Katich like confrontation is Symmo and Clarke were ever in the commentary box together, haha!

Gilly was a part-time commentator for Ch9 in the years between his retirement and Ch10 getting the BBL, although he mostly only did matches at the WACA. Tom Moody is the same.

O'Keefe.....ah, I miss him when he did Mercantile Mutual/ING Cup games on Ch9. Grossly underused at Ch9 in his pre-ABC radio days.

Timbo

Staff member
I'd be more worried about Nine shunting games to GEM or selling it onwards to Fox Sports.

One of the greatest strengths of the BBL is that its on free to air in HD every night.

Timbo

Staff member
Here's a terrifying thought;

Nine is the only serious bidder. The BBL has average nightly audiences in seven figures - way more than test matches. Nine constantly has shown that they will compromise the product that they show for the sake of a quick dollar with NRL.

What if they decide to show the BBL exclusively, and on-sell test cricket to Fox?

TheParraboy

Staff member
Here's a terrifying thought;

Nine is the only serious bidder. The BBL has average nightly audiences in seven figures - way more than test matches. Nine constantly has shown that they will compromise the product that they show for the sake of a quick dollar with NRL.

What if they decide to show the BBL exclusively, and on-sell test cricket to Fox?

Yeah that could be a worry

Not for me as I have fox and would still watch tests. Problem would be the younger kids wouldn't grow up with test cricket like I and many did. Free to air was huge vehicle for me to not only watch but become a huge fan of the game and end up playing throughout my schooling and early adult hood. (test cricket and rugby league in particular)

Vanish if from free to air we will no longer have generations of youngsters growing up with the purist form of the game. T20 is sadly already making a big dent as it is.

undertaker

Coach
Aren't home Tests here in Australia on the anti-siphoning list?
All Australian home tests and ODIs are part of the anti-siphoning list, as well as Ashes tests in England.

Not for me as I have fox and would still watch tests. Problem would be the younger kids wouldn't grow up with test cricket like I and many did. Free to air was huge vehicle for me to not only watch but become a huge fan of the game and end up playing throughout my schooling and early adult hood. (test cricket and rugby league in particular)

Vanish if from free to air we will no longer have generations of youngsters growing up with the purist form of the game. T20 is sadly already making a big dent as it is.

As I mentioned in my previous post, home tests/ODIs and Ashes tests in the UK are on the anti-siphoning list.
HOWEVER, with that said, if Fox Sports got simulcasting rights to home tests/ODIs, yes the commentary may be better than Channel 9's, but that will be the beginning of the end for FTA cricket coverage in Australia. Case in point is to look at what happened in the UK once Sky Sports got their foot in the door and started televising internationals in England. Exact same outcome would eventually happen in Australia.

Sky Sports started out in 1990 only covering England's away tours. 1990 tour of West Indies was the first one that was given full coverage in the UK. At the time, BBC still had the monopoly on all England's home matches as well as County cricket games, which were very popular and attracted strong attendances due to all the great overseas players in it (before the import quotas were introduced). Then only a year later in 1991, Sky started covering County matches and also evening highlights of ODI matches in England. In 1995, they got simulcasting rights to ODI games in England and allowed to cover 1 home test. After the 1999 World Cup, they got exclusive rights to all ODI games in England, and their home test coverage increased to simulcasting all home tests alongside Channel 4. And as well all know, after the 2005 Ashes, Sky got exclusive rights to all live international and domestic cricket coverage in England, which is the way it has remained since.

The consequences of that: declining interest in cricket in England at the lower levels, especially amongst schools and lower tv ratings. The consequence of the lack of FTA exposure is there for all to see, but the situation is not going to change anytime soon because the ECB and all the counties are in favour of the Sky deal as they get multiple times more money from Murdoch et al than they did from BBC/Channel 4. However, there has to be a balance that is struck between the substantial larger money PayTV offers vs FTA exposure. Super Rugby and A-League in Australia have shown in the past that it's very difficult to grow a sport or tournament without the FTA exposure.

Another country where cricket has suffered from no FTA exposure is New Zealand. Pre-2000, tv ratings were substantially higher, crowd attendances were higher, interest and participation at the lower levels was higher. Then, since 1999 (when cricket moved from FTA to Sky Sports NZ), ratings have declined and average crowds have dropped off big time (especially for test matches, which are unfortunately a ghost town for nearly all NZ test venues). Yeah, I know the 2015 World Cup rated well there, but even FTA ratings for the big matches such as the semi-final and final were miniscule compared to what it got for a regular New Zealand vs Pakistan ODI match back in 1995 on a weekday in the post-Hadlee/Crowe era:

http://www.throng.co.nz/2015/02/ratings-look-back-20-years-cricket-tv/

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench

The battle is over, if it was really ever a contest. How many kids would really watch days and days of drawn out test cricket and not play a video game or stream a movie instead. Parents would take them to a shrink.Thank god for T20 or they would be watching baseball or some other yank crap.