What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL360 Jack Gibson vs Wayne Bennett

Best coach of all-time

• Total voters
When Sterlo asked him where to place kicks in the unfamiliar expansive surroundings of the SCG, Gibson told Sterlo to "kick it to the seagulls".

LOL. I love that anecdote.

greg

Juniors
From memory Jack said about Sterlo "He's quick where it counts, between the ears". Jack also did very well in 1973 with a Newtown side devoid of stars.

Vee

First Grade
From memory Jack said about Sterlo "He's quick where it counts, between the ears". Jack also did very well in 1973 with a Newtown side devoid of stars.
Someone said that about Garry Hughes too, may have pre-dated the Sterling quote.

However Gibson failed with NSW huh? Hmm. You do realise he was the one who blooded Laurie Daley, Bradley Clyde, Glenn Lazarus, John Cartwright in the 1989 series and then added Ricky Stuart and Ian Roberts to the mix in 1990? Yes NSW lost the 1989 series, but they won in 1990. As such I would hardly call that failure.

Gibson's one Origin series win in 1990 outweighs anything Bennett did at rep level. Gibson was the first coach to put the Daley/Stuart combo together, as Daley was a centre at club level at the time. That was a genius move. The 1990 team ended QLD's dominance of the 80's and ushered in a new era. So again, Gibson left the NSW side in much better shape than he found it in....unlike Wayne did with all of the teams he's coached.

Bennett's probably the most overrated Rugby League figure of all time.

Nah bruz, that's Muhammad Ali.

Ali may have said it originally about himself being so quick he could turn out the light and get into bed before it got dark, but Jack Gibson did say it about Andrew Ettingshausen.

On a side note, I don't think Ali saw ET play league ;) :p

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Ali may have said it originally about himself being so quick he could turn out the light and get into bed before it got dark, but Jack Gibson did say it about Andrew Ettingshausen.

On a side note, I don't think Ali saw ET play league ;) :p

ET could make a sheila turn out the light and get into bed before it got dark... just ask mrs mellor lol

Generalzod

Immortal
In relation to Cronulla, who didn't fail there? Plenty of big names have been through there as coaches and only Flanagan managed to get the chockies with them. That said Jack left Cronulla in decent shape when he left as he had developed some very good you young talent for them, and they made the finals in the 2 years after he left them.

However Gibson failed with NSW huh? Hmm. You do realise he was the one who blooded Laurie Daley, Bradley Clyde, Glenn Lazarus, John Cartwright in the 1989 series and then added Ricky Stuart and Ian Roberts to the mix in 1990? Yes NSW lost the 1989 series, but they won in 1990. As such I would hardly call that failure.

As a Cronulla supporter I was excited that Jack come to the Sharkies, even Steve Rogers come back, 1985 was full of optimism until this happened:

p-75-11.jpg

Bugden the thug destroyed his career

God-King Dean

Immortal
I'm a dragons fan, & to say 'Bennett left St George Illawarra a mess' is complete bullshit.

Bennett isn't responsible for the club's complete ineptitude. He was brought to win the club a premiership - and he did that, after decades of frustration. What the club did after that is none of his responsibility.

If Wayne was in front of me right, I'd give him a rusty trombon.