What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great Kogarah Moments

1st & 10

Juniors
Hi guys

Like most, I love the oval that's sits between Jubilee Ave and English St. What are you 3 best moments you personally saw at the great ground

1. The Manly comeback about 10 years ago

2. The SOS protest on the ground
when club stalwarts put forth a possible merge with Easts

3. Sitting in the old north/west dunnies where the original Dragon Army were. Adjacent to the old tile grandstand with the red V seats . Saints fans were the first banner brigade. (The Skull and Dirty Mick caused the Army to move)

Also add in the time our Flegg side/3rd grade put 100 on the scoreboard against Central Coast.

Cheers All

Coffs dragon

Bench
Many happy moments at this great old ground, but the stand out would have to be:-
Sitting on the Hill in the early 70's watching 3rd Grade then Reserve Grade then jumping out of my skin seeing the 1st Grade run out being lead by my idol in Graeme Langlands with his little General, Billy Smith right behind him. Farkin Gold!!
I loved the old days when there was no warm up shit on the field and players from the lower grades would sit on the bench after having played a full game prior.
And lastly, the team wore the same big RedV jersey every week with no home and away different crap.
The game was simple back then and a lot better with huge crowds and no Foxtel shit ruining the atmosphere & crowd.

Old Timer

Coach
Personal
Getting to hang my school jersey on Changa's locker before a knock out game. Gotta love the old school knockout comps like the 7st 7lb wringing wets and all the other divisions.
Running on to KJO that day for the 1st time and lining up in the middle and shaking hands with the opposing side. It honestly felt like you were standing where god's stood.
St George memories
5 minutes before the 3pm kick off with the sun shining and just watching that iconic white jersey (well done Persil) with the big rev and sewn on logo and numbers running onto the field.
Frank and Tiger sitting at their desks ready to call the game, reserve graders all their on the bench waiting for a chance and the St John's ambulance people with water bottles and canvas stretchers ready to run onto to assist the fallen.

Mark D

Juniors
Many great memories most spent on Skulls hill 35 years ago... for me watching Steve Slippery Morris chip and chase or flying off the hip of Craig Young , Graeme Wynn or Rocket Reddy was always special.... the choc Mundine and Blacklock show ... Gasnier in full flight... Ricky Walford down the wing.. too many!! Also being able to run as a kid on the pitch after game... special days... played there myself too as a junior under the guidance of Kenny Boothroyd (luv Kogarah).

Mark D

Juniors
Hi guys

Like most, I love the oval that's sits between Jubilee Ave and English St. What are you 3 best moments you personally saw at the great ground

3. Sitting in the old north/west dunnies where the original Dragon Army were. Adjacent to the old tile grandstand with the red V seats . Saints fans were the first banner brigade. (The Skull and Dirty Mick caused the Army to move)

Also add in the time our Flegg side/3rd grade put 100 on the scoreboard against Central Coast.

Cheers All
Great thread mate

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Many happy moments at this great old ground, but the stand out would have to be:-
Sitting on the Hill in the early 70's watching 3rd Grade then Reserve Grade then jumping out of my skin seeing the 1st Grade run out being lead by my idol in Graeme Langlands with his little General, Billy Smith right behind him. Farkin Gold!!
I loved the old days when there was no warm up shit on the field and players from the lower grades would sit on the bench after having played a full game prior.
And lastly, the team wore the same big RedV jersey every week with no home and away different crap.
The game was simple back then and a lot better with huge crowds and no Foxtel shit ruining the atmosphere & crowd.

Brilliant ............... very true Coffs.

I think the only warm up the players did before running out onto the ground, was to down a couple of Big Ben pies. I can still picture an old North Sydney forward, John Payne, demolishing several whilst chatting to some mates near the tunnel.

I used to sit / stand on the hill ( right above the big steps ) with all my brothers mates. Probably watched 99% of games from that vantage point.

In the earlier days, the referees and the linesmen used to wear there long short pulled right up to their chest, ha! ........ just like my father used to ................ and as a young lad, use to make me as well.

With a little of the game to go, us kids would run down to the fence, jump over and watch the last bit on the grass. That was late sixties, early seventies.

As mentioned on my first post on the forum, having the pleasure to carry Changa's bag from the club over to the ground with him was a lasting impression.

Early seventies, Kogarah Marist Brothers would hold athletics carnivals on Jubilee Oval, won a 800m school race, bare foot. Probably one of the reasons why l'm riddled with arthritis now!

Anyway, only ever had fond memories of Jubilee Oval ...................long may it live.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
You gentlemen have said it all . They were great days , irrespective of what year it may had been . Many wonderful highlights, with players whom had tremendous football skills, Gasneir , Raper , Provan , Clay , Smith , the list is endless .

Today we have players wth excellent ability also , the Duges , Widdop , Nightingale and our current big-boppers Vaughan , Packer , Fizzell , Thompson and Simms , all whom are are capable of bringing the crowd to their feet . Many more years of wonderful memories to come , I am sure .

dragonssamy61

First Grade
My great memories of going to kogarah.
Are evertime I go there watching my hero's play with my dad and my mum and grandad.
Then as now waiting for the roar as the team with the big red v ran on to the field.
Booing the opposition and the ref no matter who they were.
I just love playing at Kogarah .
Long may it continue.
Still love going and seeing all the people I sit with .

Manly comeback

Tigers 50 Nil

About 10 years ago I got randomly selected for a halftime goal kicking comp. Slotted one from 10 out right in front at the school end, put a wobbly one over from 20 out then missed from 30... funny thing is that the following home game, I was randomly selected again at WIN. Me and my mate won a sack race.

Mark D

Juniors
Brilliant ............... very true Coffs.

I think the only warm up the players did before running out onto the ground, was to down a couple of Big Ben pies. I can still picture an old North Sydney forward, John Payne, demolishing several whilst chatting to some mates near the tunnel.

I used to sit / stand on the hill ( right above the big steps ) with all my brothers mates. Probably watched 99% of games from that vantage point.

In the earlier days, the referees and the linesmen used to wear there long short pulled right up to their chest, ha! ........ just like my father used to ................ and as a young lad, use to make me as well.

With a little of the game to go, us kids would run down to the fence, jump over and watch the last bit on the grass. That was late sixties, early seventies.

As mentioned on my first post on the forum, having the pleasure to carry Changa's bag from the club over to the ground with him was a lasting impression.

Early seventies, Kogarah Marist Brothers would hold athletics carnivals on Jubilee Oval, won a 800m school race, bare foot. Probably one of the reasons why l'm riddled with arthritis now!

Anyway, only ever had fond memories of Jubilee Oval ...................long may it live.
Old KMH boy myself mate

qld redvee

Juniors
talking to chook raper outside the dressing rooms 1968
the great manly comeback
game against souths when wwe were allowed to sit inside the fence( 73 ish )
game against easts in the pouring rain (75? )
the atmosphere and chants in the old stand before we modernised
the big red vee as the uniform
the great players
ah the good old days

The Major

Bench
Being on the hill at Kogarah in the pouring freezing rain against Parra in 2006 where we won 8-1.

And Wacko Steve's turkey shirt in the mud. Gold.

Life's Good

Coach
Noel Goldthorpe pole axing Trevor Gillmeister in a pearler of a tackle in either 92 or 93.
Each & every game in 1996 after Rod Reddy dumped a big fat one on the club and David Waite became our saviour.
Manly comeback in 2004
Ben Creagh chasing down Steve Turner in 2009
Raiders game in 2016 with the lights out. Thank you Jack Wighton.

Emu01

Juniors
I remember when I was a kid in the early 80's there was a commentary box above the canteen on the western side.

I climbed up the side of the canteen and there was about a two foot cement ledge running around the commentary box.

I had to lay on the cement ledge to watch the game. There was barbed wire running along the ledge so you couldn't stand up.

I remember seeing the ground announcers and Rex Mossip enter the door below my ledge to call the game.

I had the best view in the ground but I could have fallen at any time.I loved every minute.

Smack

Coach
Hi guys

Cheers All

Sitting on top of the dunnies, the hole in the fence for some of us poor people, the manly comeback, tallis wanting to fight the army lol, fights with dogs fans, banter and general buffoonery