What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shut Up And Take My Money

Wato

Juniors
Don't even get me started on a PS1 classic. My mind is already doing backflips putting together these old school compilations.

Whoever is in charge of this has one of the cooler jobs going. Could you imagine some of the heated arguments over in Nintendo HQ?

Their would be some pretty heated debates of the team would be a bit of a bummer too when you could not convince a publisher to allow their game on their. The classic consoles is such a cool idea and has appealed to people who have dropped out of gaming surely Sony has to be looking to get something together with the possible library they could put together.

perverse

Referee
Realistically Snap would be preferred over either one of those Konami or Treasure games and I thought about that as well, but I couldn't help myself and wanted to give the list some variety. I could see Puzzle League getting in - Nintendo loves Panel de Pon, but due to the Tetris license they've been unable to release it out in the west which is why Japan is getting Tetris Attack and we're getting Kirby's Dream Course.

It's hard not listing every single Rare game - even the arcade port of Killer Instinct Gold and Mickey's Speedway were all fine games. Let's say if Nintendo placed a limitation and were only willing to negotiate for three slots, what would you guys have? For mine, Goldeneye 007 and Banjo Kazooie are locks. It would come down to the third slot which is so tough to choose from between Blast Corps, Diddy Kong Racing, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, Banjo Tooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day. If it was up to me, I'd have to go with Conker. Even though you could argue the others do a better job of representing their genre, Conker was one of those games that was so of it's time and would stand out better than the other games on the list. You really couldn't go wrong but I think those three games were the games that defined Rare on the N64.
I would have picked Conker over Perfect Dark had I thought it was a thing Nintendo would do. Yeah, it was a glorious partnership between Nintendo and Rare in the SNES->N64 era. None of those Rare games are out of place on a best-of list for the N64.

perverse

Referee
Don't even get me started on a PS1 classic. My mind is already doing backflips putting together these old school compilations.

Whoever is in charge of this has one of the cooler jobs going. Could you imagine some of the heated arguments over in Nintendo HQ?

PS1 Classic
Alundra
Ape Escape
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Crash Bandicoot 3
Crash Team Racing
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Gran Turismo 2
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
MediEvil
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil II
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
PaRappa The Rapper
Silent Hill
Soul Blade
Spyro The Dragon 2
Suikoden 2
Syphon Filter 2
Tekken 3
Xenogears

And I feel like I'm forgetting some obvious ones.
Wipeout, Chrono Cross, THPS, Tomb Raider, FF 8 & 9, Parasite Eve... god... plus more.

Big Pete

Referee
Twisted Metal, Mega Man Legends, Grand Theft Auto II, Tenchu...

...and Wipeout was the game that escaped me. That would have to be a lock for sure and there's more that would easily make that list.

As somebody who grew up with the N64, it's exciting to go back and look at all these old Sony and Sega games. Given the breakthrough with Saturn emulation, I hope it's only a matter of time before we see some of their games re-released. Panzer Dragoon 3 is meant to be one of the greatest RPGs of all-time and nobody can play it because it's hideously expensive.

Frederick

Staff member
Realistically Snap would be preferred over either one of those Konami or Treasure games and I thought about that as well, but I couldn't help myself and wanted to give the list some variety. I could see Puzzle League getting in - Nintendo loves Panel de Pon, but due to the Tetris license they've been unable to release it out in the west which is why Japan is getting Tetris Attack and we're getting Kirby's Dream Course.

It's hard not listing every single Rare game - even the arcade port of Killer Instinct Gold and Mickey's Speedway were all fine games. Let's say if Nintendo placed a limitation and were only willing to negotiate for three slots, what would you guys have? For mine, Goldeneye 007 and Banjo Kazooie are locks. It would come down to the third slot which is so tough to choose from between Blast Corps, Diddy Kong Racing, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, Banjo Tooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day. If it was up to me, I'd have to go with Conker. Even though you could argue the others do a better job of representing their genre, Conker was one of those games that was so of it's time and would stand out better than the other games on the list. You really couldn't go wrong but I think those three games were the games that defined Rare on the N64.
Problem is Rare is owned(?) by Microsoft now, and games like Banjo and (I'm pretty sure) perfect dark are on the Xbox marketplace so chances of Nintendo being able to re-release those are slim to none

InFlames

Juniors
Cant leave out WCW vs NWO revenge on that 64 list.

On the basis that it came with or could connect 4 controllers

Big Pete

Referee
Problem is Rare is owned(?) by Microsoft now, and games like Banjo and (I'm pretty sure) perfect dark are on the Xbox marketplace so chances of Nintendo being able to re-release those are slim to none

Yeah, which is why I didn't include them in my list.

However, if Nintendo was going to make it their mission to get Microsoft/Rare/Eon Productions (the license holders for Bond) on board then those would be the priority.

Cant leave out WCW vs NWO revenge on that 64 list.

Would love to get any of the AKI games on board, but the licensing and royalties would be a nightmare.

adamkungl

Immortal
Ok I'd throw into the SNES list (ignoring pesky things like a limit)

DKC 2
Chronotrigger
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Earthworm Jim
Killer Instinct
Super Bomberman
Lufia 2
Pilotwings
Super Mario All Stars

edit:
Dont believe i forgot... BATTLETOADS

This is a cracking list of games
http://au.ign.com/lists/top-100-snes-games/100

Last edited:

DiegoNT

First Grade
Ok there was a game as a kid i love but i struggle to find info on. A snes game called Uni-racers or Uni-rally. Was it any good?
I remember liking Bubsy and Rock n Roll racing as well.

Big Pete

Referee
Another one for PS1...

Abe's Odyssey

Oddworld Abe's Oddysee would be a definite lock. It's one of those games that time has forgotten but was absolutely huge at the time and has a real cult following behind it. I never really got into it, but my brother swears by it.

I'm glad that Nintendo didn't pull any shenanigans with the SNES Classic. I would have been spitting chips if they made the PAL region different and didn't include NTSC games like Earthbound, Final Fantasy 3 and Super Mario RPG in the mix. Interestingly, if Nintendo went with the 20 highest selling games it would look like...

Chrono Trigger
Disney's Aladdin

Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble

Final Fantasy III
Final Fight
F-Zero
Killer Instinct
Kirby Super Star
Mortal Kombat II
Secret of Mana
SimCity
Star Fox
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Street Fighter II
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

With Final Fantasy II (sold around the same amount of copies as Kirby), Super Metroid, The Lion King, NBA Jam, Mortal Kombat 3, The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse, Mega Man X, Pilotwings, Derby Stallion '96, Super Ghost and Ghouls and Final Fight II just missing the cut.

Of course that list doesn't include alternative versions (Street Fighter II), compiltions (All-Stars), Japanese exclusives or gimmick games (Mario Paint and Super Scope 6) in the mix.

I've made my peace with my purchase, but I'd love it if the success of the SNES Classic served as an impetus for Nintendo to release a bunch of SNES classics to the West. Games like Clocktower, Mystical Ninja II-IV, Romance Saga, Fire Emblem, Live A Live, Metal Max, Seiken Densetsu 3, Treasure Hunter G etc. would be cool incentives for collectors.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Got one preordered I never had a SNES so many of these games will be new for me. We were lucky enough to get a NES in Malaysia last year they were really easy to get hold of there.

Really hoping for a 64 next year, a very underrated game on that system was beetle racing adventure.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Got one preordered I never had a SNES so many of these games will be new for me. We were lucky enough to get a NES in Malaysia last year they were really easy to get hold of there.

Really hoping for a 64 next year, a very underrated game on that system was beetle racing adventure.
We never got beetle racing in aus.

Was re-packaged as HSV racing adventure, and had Commodores instead of beetles

Pommy

Coach
Spewing it doesn't have Super International Cricket. I remember rushing home to play it nearly every day after school in year 8

I doubt the snes mini will be big in India meaning the vast majority of potential customers wouldn't care.