What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 v Easts

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
John Sutton was really poor last night. I thought that his ability to step up when Souths needed him most was poor. He was constantly shaking his head and yelling negatively at players but the fact of the matter is that he wasn't taking initiative. I know Sutton is a Souths legend but last night for me was proof that he's not captain material anymore. Sam also disappeared in that game. We were getting destroyed in the middle of the park which is quite confusing considering they had all their best forwards out.

Souths need to find a balance between the ad-lib football and the structured football.

Crichton is someone who we should be looking at giving the captaincy too in the next few years. I really hope the roosters don't steal this kid. If they do then we have to go harder for latrell mitchell.

doyen

Bench
Doyen jungle ball doesn't work.

We've been playing "tunnel[vision] ball" most of the year & how well has that gone??

In only a couple of games have we looked like a v/good team & that has been when we've displayed an enhanced off-loading game & a more ad-lib style. Our team still must defend stoutly when things go wrong but this Sths team has no chance of making the finals playing the same old predictable shit!!
We'll win more games by playing as we did against the Panthers.
It's a pity Madge got into their ears last night at half-time & put a dampener on things!

Last edited:

doyen

Bench
I've obviously replied[directly above] within your post R20---my reply to the "Jungle ball" IS there!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
John Sutton was really poor last night. I thought that his ability to step up when Souths needed him most was poor. He was constantly shaking his head and yelling negatively at players but the fact of the matter is that he wasn't taking initiative. I know Sutton is a Souths legend but last night for me was proof that he's not captain material anymore. Sam also disappeared in that game. We were getting destroyed in the middle of the park which is quite confusing considering they had all their best forwards out.

Souths need to find a balance between the ad-lib football and the structured football.

Crichton is someone who we should be looking at giving the captaincy too in the next few years. I really hope the roosters don't steal this kid. If they do then we have to go harder for latrell mitchell.
That's as the team was going away from the game plan!!!!!!!! It's obvious you have to win the right to play that style of footy by playing direct and going forwards!!!! Sutto can't do his job otherwise!!!!!!!!

We are getting destroyed in the forwards as we have twins that struggle defensively and we have Clark and Tyrrell who shouldn't be there!!!!!!!! Tyrrell didn't do enough compared to the Roosters NSW Cup forwards. Tyrrell got taken to school and Clark got pushed backwards again!!!!!!!!

I'd have played Cherrington and Murray but we have no depth Souths til I die!!!!! FACT........ look st the Storm, Rorters and Cowboys depth!!!!! They WOULD NOT accumulate the duds we have!!!!! Yet many on here want to,persist with mediocrity!!!!!! I can't tell you Britt is not the answer either!!!!!! Rochow is the better player and Bellamy ain't stupid!!!!!!!!!!

We have a long list of players that wouldn't be tolerated at the top 4-5 clubs. If you can't see that then I am stunned!!!!!!

I'm proud of the passion Sutto showed last night!!!!!!!!!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Cody Walker has also been too hit and miss!!!!!

Burns, Jennings, Talakai, Tyrrell, Clark, Turner, Gosiewski etc wouldn't make it at the top 4 clubs. They want success and not mediocrity like us!!!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
That's as the team was going away from the game plan!!!!!!!! It's obvious you have to win the right to play that style of footy by playing direct and going forwards!!!! Sutto can't do his job otherwise!!!!!!!!

We are getting destroyed in the forwards as we have twins that struggle defensively and we have Clark and Tyrrell who shouldn't be there!!!!!!!! Tyrrell didn't do enough compared to the Roosters NSW Cup forwards. Tyrrell got taken to school and Clark got pushed backwards again!!!!!!!!

I'd have played Cherrington and Murray but we have no depth Souths til I die!!!!! FACT........ look st the Storm, Rorters and Cowboys depth!!!!! They WOULD NOT accumulate the duds we have!!!!! Yet many on here want to,persist with mediocrity!!!!!! I can't tell you Britt is not the answer either!!!!!! Rochow is the better player and Bellamy ain't stupid!!!!!!!!!!

We have a long list of players that wouldn't be tolerated at the top 4-5 clubs. If you can't see that then I am stunned!!!!!!

I agree with most of what you say.

Except for 1 part. Sutton didn't show passion at all. Getting angry when the team is losing is a sign of weakness if anything. Sutton had a terrible game last night there's no defending it. Negativity is a disease on the sporting field and when one player spreads it it can really drop team morale. Why do you think the raiders are struggling so much this season? The abuse that the players give each other doesn't help in the slightest.

Sutton was one of the worst players on the field last night.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Souths did fine in the arm wrestle tonight. But as with several other games this season the backline was no threat inside the opposition 20m

Souths need better players across No 1 to No 7. Cody Walker plays for himself not the team and this is not a good characteristic for a spine player to have. Souths should let Gray go the Sharks too

Walker is diamonds and rocks. Really annoys me. I think the only back 7 players that have been consistent this year are AJ on the wing and hunt in the centres.

Thanks for that--I really thought we'd get up tonight--a disappointing result so may need to re-think!!

Maybe I need to put on the bet at the most opportune time--wait a bit!!???????????
If the cowboys beat us next week you might get 1000/1

I'm just saying $500@1000/1 = half a million cold hard cash.

And we'd only need to win 11 straight to do it.......

Rabbits20

Immortal
I agree with most of what you say.

Except for 1 part. Sutton didn't show passion at all. Getting angry when the team is losing is a sign of weakness if anything. Sutton had a terrible game last night there's no defending it. Negativity is a disease on the sporting field and when one player spreads it it can really drop team morale. Why do you think the raiders are struggling so much this season? The abuse that the players give each other doesn't help in the slightest.

Sutton was one of the worst players on the field last night.
Fair enough!!!!!

I just think Sutto cares so much and the others need to have the will to try and do their best!!!!

It is the halves job though to tell the forwards what they want when it's going wrong.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Fair enough!!!!!

I just think Sutto cares so much and the others need to have the will to try and do their best!!!!

It is the halves job though to tell the forwards what they want when it's going wrong.

Yeah but abusing the forwards that have generally had a better season than him is not only hypocritical it's stupid. Sutton needs to pull his own head out. I don't understand why "veterans" should be able to abuse the younger players just because they're trying something different.

alien

Referee
Sutton was frustrated with Farah too after one of the plays. I didn't see it as abuse though.

souths_reborn

Juniors

I think you need to control yourself a bit because you have a real penchant for hyperbole. Firstly, we did play pretty direct and with structure; its not as if we were running around like headless chooks. All we have done in recent weeks is implement a bit of second phase play and ad lib footy to ask more questions of opposition defences. The reason for this is that ad lib footy is near impossible to defend against, especially when you have magnificent athletes who are capable to taking advantage of broken field situations.

Secondly, we didn't get destroyed in the forwards. The only reason why you are saying that is because Waerea-Hargreaves had a big game and no one else from our side matched his numbers on the stats sheet. However, if you watched the game I thought that we not only matched the Roosters in the forwards but actually got on top of them for large periods of the game. The match was a real arm wrestle and we were really mounting serious pressure on the Roosters; the turning point was when Braidon Burns played the ball incorrectly! That lead to the Roosters venturing into our half and ultimately scoring after we looked like we were going to get on top of them.

I don't think the squad depth is as bad as you say. We have a lot of promising young players coming through who are quality. This sort of thing happens all the time though when we lose a game - its been happening for the last 2 years! Things being said like all the players are rubbish, get rid of the coach, Sam Burgess is useless etc. Some people don't know what it means to be a supporter! The idea is that you are meant to SUPPORT the club, not rip into them the minute things go wrong.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I think you need to control yourself a bit because you have a real penchant for hyperbole. Firstly, we did play pretty direct and with structure; its not as if we were running around like headless chooks. All we have done in recent weeks is implement a bit of second phase play and ad lib footy to ask more questions of opposition defences. The reason for this is that ad lib footy is near impossible to defend against, especially when you have magnificent athletes who are capable to taking advantage of broken field situations.

Secondly, we didn't get destroyed in the forwards. The only reason why you are saying that is because Waerea-Hargreaves had a big game and no one else from our side matched his numbers on the stats sheet. However, if you watched the game I thought that we not only matched the Roosters in the forwards but actually got on top of them for large periods of the game. The match was a real arm wrestle and we were really mounting serious pressure on the Roosters; the turning point was when Braidon Burns played the ball incorrectly! That lead to the Roosters venturing into our half and ultimately scoring after we looked like we were going to get on top of them.

I don't think the squad depth is as bad as you say. We have a lot of promising young players coming through who are quality. This sort of thing happens all the time though when we lose a game - its been happening for the last 2 years! Things being said like all the players are rubbish, get rid of the coach, Sam Burgess is useless etc. Some people don't know what it means to be a supporter! The idea is that you are meant to SUPPORT the club, not rip into them the minute things go wrong.

I agree with everything you say but I think we were outmuscled in the front row though. Their bigger men play with more passion and aggression. There were moments when we were only making 30 metres per set because our forwards weren't making the hard yards. It's more a question of laziness than ability though. Burgess twins need to keep on improving.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Sutton was frustrated with Farah too after one of the plays. I didn't see it as abuse though.

Yeah I don't mind Sutton getting pissed off with Farah. That was because Farah took a dart on 4th tackle and wasn't the passer on the 5th tackle. That was a blatant mistake by Farah which I can forgive. What I can't forgive is Sutton shaking his head after every play and acting like the players around him are useless.

Sutton has no right to act like this. I don't care if you've played 100 games or 300 games for Souths it's about leading by example not sitting around having a sulk when we aren't following the structure. Sutton made 1 good kick the whole game and barely ran the ball. If he wants the boys to run forward he has to start doing it himself.

The fact of the matter is that Souths have played better the past 3 weeks than we have the whole season and that's because we've thrown the ball around. We've stepped out of our comfort zone and all our 3 games we should've won. We should've beat the roosters but we got cocky. These things happen. I would much rather lose by 2 points than 40 points to manly thank you very much.

Rabbits20

Immortal

I disagree.

We were running around with no proper purpose!!!!

Like Madge said in his press conference we didn't lay the platform!!!!

I don't think Sam had his best game. Tyrrell and Clark didn't go well and Musgrove didn't have impact like he usually does.

I don't see the loads of promise you're talking about. I do see a bit of promise but some negatives are there for sure. I didn't say all the players are rubbish. I've said we have players the are very inconsistent and not up to first grade and wouldn't make it at the top 4 clubs. .!!!!!!

Gosiewski, Greinke, Rudolf, Britt, Talakai, Burns, Jennings are not the answer to what we need!!!!!!!!!

You have to remember our recruitment and retention should be ripped into!!!!! Or do you want to sugar coat things and persist with mediocrity??? A giant stuff up was letting Brown go. We only offered him 100k. Dumb!!!!! Then Tyrrell and Turner are on 250. Other clubs near the top are making solid signings for reasonable prices and we are not!!!!!!!!

Why we re-sign players without making them earn it is beyond me!!!!! Sheer lunacy!!!!!!!

Also the signins of Kelly and Nielsen were a complete joke!!!!!!!

I'd like a prop like Leeson Ah May for example.

We need a centre like Dylan or Mitchell!!!!!!!

I know you'll tell me there is a salary cap and I know that but paying Gagai 650k is overs imo unless he turns into a really quality fullback!!!!!

We aren't attracting anyone really to the club either. It's a big concern!!!!!!!!

If Madge can't get us performing in 2018 and we are right near the bottom of the ladder after the first 10 games then serious questions need to be asked!!!!!!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Yeah I don't mind Sutton getting pissed off with Farah. That was because Farah took a dart on 4th tackle and wasn't the passer on the 5th tackle. That was a blatant mistake by Farah which I can forgive. What I can't forgive is Sutton shaking his head after every play and acting like the players around him are useless.

Sutton has no right to act like this. I don't care if you've played 100 games or 300 games for Souths it's about leading by example not sitting around having a sulk when we aren't following the structure. Sutton made 1 good kick the whole game and barely ran the ball. If he wants the boys to run forward he has to start doing it himself.

The fact of the matter is that Souths have played better the past 3 weeks than we have the whole season and that's because we've thrown the ball around. We've stepped out of our comfort zone and all our 3 games we should've won. We should've beat the roosters but we got cocky. These things happen. I would much rather lose by 2 points than 40 points to manly thank you very much.
Sutto had a right as a senior player in our team to tell em to go direct rather than going against the game plan.

Well if you think we got cocky you should be proud of Sutto telling the boys to reign it in and pull their heads in!!!!!!!!

I don't think it's about cockiness though it's that some players didn't do their jobs!!!!!

Another thing is Cook needs to be on the field longer. We look quicker with him on and more dangerous.

Also the twins played well the other night!!!!! Tyrrell, Clark and Musgrove were no good and Fui was well contained!!!!!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I disagree.

We were running around with no proper purpose!!!!

Like Madge said in his press conference we didn't lay the platform!!!!

I don't think Sam had his best game. Tyrrell and Clark didn't go well and Musgrove didn't have impact like he usually does.

I don't see the loads of promise you're talking about. I do see a bit of promise but some negatives are there for sure. I didn't say all the players are rubbish. I've said we have players the are very inconsistent and not up to first grade and wouldn't make it at the top 4 clubs. .!!!!!!

Gosiewski, Greinke, Rudolf, Britt, Talakai, Burns, Jennings are not the answer to what we need!!!!!!!!!

You have to remember our recruitment and retention should be ripped into!!!!! Or do you want to sugar coat things and persist with mediocrity??? A giant stuff up was letting Brown go. We only offered him 100k. Dumb!!!!! Then Tyrrell and Turner are on 250. Other clubs near the top are making solid signings for reasonable prices and we are not!!!!!!!!

Why we re-sign players without making them earn it is beyond me!!!!! Sheer lunacy!!!!!!!

Also the signins of Kelly and Nielsen were a complete joke!!!!!!!

I'd like a prop like Leeson Ah May for example.

We need a centre like Dylan or Mitchell!!!!!!!

I know you'll tell me there is a salary cap and I know that but paying Gagai 650k is overs imo unless he turns into a really quality fullback!!!!!

We aren't attracting anyone really to the club either. It's a big concern!!!!!!!!

If Madge can't get us performing in 2018 and we are right near the bottom of the ladder after the first 10 games then serious questions need to be asked!!!!!!!

Something that I don't understand is that you say paying 650k for Gagai is overs but firstly how can you put a value on Queensland best back and secondly how much did you expect we would have to pay him to get him to leave the knights? He was on 700k per year at the knights. Was he suddenly gonna take a MASSIVE pay decrease to come to south Sydney? I don't think so.