What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

idea for next NSW coach: WAYNE BENNETT

grouch

First Grade
What better way to get one over his latest nemesis, Kevin Walters? Imagine the hype

Do it Wayne. You know you want to.

Noname36

First Grade
Bennett can only coach squads with a significant level of talent at his disposal. NSW don't have that.

Nightward

Juniors
Phil Gould has long proclaimed himself a coaching savant and says he knows what is wrong with NSW. TIme to put his money where his mouth is.

Knightmare

Coach
Gus talks like he wants to be coaching, but backs away whenever the question is put to him. When he says he's got enough to worry about at Penrith I'm never convinced he means it.

Danish

Referee
If the cheque has enough zeros on it I'm sure he'd do it in a heart beat. Bennett would push his mother down a flight of steps for the right sized sack of money.

Whether or not NSW would actually get any benefit out of it (besides magically discovering Darius has somehow actually been eligible for the blues all these years and just didn't realise) is another story

TheFrog

Coach
Phil Gould has long proclaimed himself a coaching savant and says he knows what is wrong with NSW. TIme to put his money where his mouth is.
He seemed pretty convinced this NSW side was the goods, especially Pearce. He might be useful as a motovational speaker (something the Blues could have seriously done with in games 2 and 3) but the game has moved on and he's no longer a coach. Mind you neither Daley, Walters or Meninga are coaches either.

When you see that Penrith are going nowhere, surely you wouldn't want Gus anywhere near any team you like.

Were he the coach of Penrith, you'd have a point. I doubt Anthony Griffin is in contention for the Blues job.

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
A lot of chat about Joey Johns but I wonder if its his disappointment talking rather than a real desire to coach.

Geoff Toovey could be an option

BennyV

Referee
I speak of behalf of Dragons fans when I selflessly offer the great Paul McGregor to the NSW full-time coaching ranks...

davi

Juniors
I'm warning the media don't take the bait. It just encourages him.

"There's a lot of talk about the future of the NSW Blues and the best way for the side to move forward for 2018.

It's likely that Laurie Daley won't be coaching NSW next year, and several big names have already been thrown into contention for the job.

Andrew Johns and Brad Fittler are just two examples of potential candidates.

However, another option may have emerged, with Anthony Mundine tweeting the following message this afternoon.

"All you blues supporters wanna win ??Put me in as coach I guarantee y'all the series ," Mundine posted."

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/nr...-has-put-his-hand-up-for-the-nsw-coaching-gig

Nightward

Juniors
He seemed pretty convinced this NSW side was the goods, especially Pearce. He might be useful as a motovational speaker (something the Blues could have seriously done with in games 2 and 3) but the game has moved on and he's no longer a coach. Mind you neither Daley, Walters or Meninga are coaches either.

Walters is definitely a coach. He's served his apprenticeship and was in the running to be the next long-term Broncos head coach, but opted for the Queensland track instead.

This being said, Meninga was definitely not there for his tactical nous but for his ability to galvanise the team. NSW attempted to copy this with the appointment of Daley but forgot to make sure they were picking the best team for the job and pair him with someone who can manage the game plan. Honestly, they could do worse than a Raudonikis/Bellamy combo.

The tide will eventually turn. NSW has a generation of young players coming through who have seen their team get flogged for over a decade. It's what fuels the fire in the belly of Queenslanders even today. All they need to do is harness that and stop selecting chokers and brain snaps waiting to happen and things will start to improve.

Johns knows the Blues coaching position is a poisoned chalice. He wouldn't put his hand up for the job in a fit.

I wouldn't be too sure of that. He was obviously hurting after their losses and pulled no punches in his evaluation. Part of the problem NSW have at the moment is with their selectors being too partisan towards their clubs and listening too much to the media. If someone of Johns' stature took the job there is a very real chance they could make clearing out the dead wood in the organisation a condition of doing so, like Wayne Bennet did when he re-structured Queensland Origin back in '01.

Admittedly there would be concerns with him knowing what to do with that power but if he had the right advisors...

Latest posts