What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it embarrassing to be a knights fan?

Alex28

Coach
Do the days of stars like Andrew Johns and their coach Michael Hagan feel like ancient history or are the memories still vivid?
At least we had the 1997 and 2001 premierships.

Has Parramatta had anything in your lifetime?

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I was just saying, how many coaches can say they have won a premiership? It is an exclusive club and if you ask Andrew Johns he says that he was an important part of the victory. But you would know more than him as a fan of the knights surely, so sorry. I am just interested in accurate history. Obviously Craig Bellamy is a more successful coach. He has great players but and has some of those premierships revoked, so who knows. I am just learning about the game sorry. Everyone talks to me a lot about how Hagan is an unsung hero in other forums. The Eels team in 2001 was meant to be unbeatable so I've read.
Have a chat to some Parra fans. Parramatta still hasn't recovered from the period that he coached them.

Swarzey

Bench
Embarrassed? I've seen my team win two premierships and many, many thrilling games over my time playing. This period sucks, absolutely, but how can I be embarrassed? A side that is trying to rebuild, kids that are having a dig most - for some every - week; where's the embarrassment? My skin is thick enough to handle the "creative and witty" (/s) remarks of most rugby league fans.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It's going to end up being 3 wins in 50 games. I just want to legitimately know what the feeling is like?

I dont mind it. It will make the later success that much more enjoyable....

my favourite years watching were 2008/09, partially because we were coming off the terrible 2007. We put together a rag-tag team no one expected anything of and put in some great performances.

i never got much out of the Tinkler/Bennett years, because we tried to buy success. I much prefer us developing juniors, bringing in journeymen. If a superstar just walks into the team and wins us everything, it feels like the premiership belongs to someone else.

But this is probably just me....

Caped Crusader

Juniors
I dont mind it. It will make the later success that much more enjoyable....

my favourite years watching were 2008/09, partially because we were coming off the terrible 2007. We put together a rag-tag team no one expected anything of and put in some great performances.

i never got much out of the Tinkler/Bennett years, because we tried to buy success. I much prefer us developing juniors, bringing in journeymen. If a superstar just walks into the team and wins us everything, it feels like the premiership belongs to someone else.

But this is probably just me....
I think i could live with it tbh

Frederick

Staff member
I much prefer coaches who shape a game plan to the players they have, rather than force the same boring tactics on everyone. See; Bennett, Wayne.

The Smithy years were fun.
I remember one game against Penrith when Smith was in charge, and he'd named Houston at 5/8. This was back when Gidley was named at fullback but essentially given permission to do whatever the f**k he wanted. Pretty sure we smashed Penrith that night.

EdLondon

Juniors
We got the spoon in 2005 but that run of wins at the end of the season were some of the greatest games I've seen. Not embarrassed by that.

Liberate Souths

Juniors
No one expects you to win anything for a couple more seasons. You are playing pretty some good footy at times. Things will start turning about more seriously and for the longer term say 2019/2020.

It's a good journey to be on. We know all about that. Hang in there.

Liberate Souths

Juniors
I was going to add that in the club games, i have watched live, I have only ever seen three players entirely dominate a game.

Regrettably none of them my Souths players (!) but one was an guy called....

Danny Buderus.

And Souths got smashed, but i knew I had just seen something wholly remarkable and never to be forgotten.

Taree boy I think.

The talent will return.

1st & 10

Juniors
If your players are of the quality and class of Trent, you should be very proud .

Keep your chin up. Get rid of that Brock Lam and work on some young halves, your young team will sprout. You have some great young forwards and speed/skill in the three quarters

Brown's Babes as in 1977-79 Baths Babes will emerge

Liberate Souths

Juniors
If you had all the heroes and were playing badly, you'd have a problem. But you have a team of stragglers and kids playing their backsides off every week, punching well above their weight consistently. You are competitive. He's a bloody good coach.

Still Nutty

Juniors
I wasn't even going to buy into this BS thread...but then the story on Hokko came through and I thought I'd just reflect on reading that and say "what do you think?"

NK Arsenal

Juniors
If you had all the heroes and were playing badly, you'd have a problem. But you have a team of stragglers and kids playing their backsides off every week, punching well above their weight consistently. You are competitive. He's a bloody good coach.
Exactly I think our sides of 2014-15 were worse than our sides of 2016-17

Willie Ray

Bench
The best thing going for the knights is their fans,they stick pretty solid....the fact their young team plays with plenty of heart helps....true blue collar league town.

Swarzey

Bench
Exactly I think our sides of 2014-15 were worse than our sides of 2016-17

Our 2014 squad had a rough start with Mullen's preseason injury and McKinnon's injury and we didn't have a first grade standard hooker to fill Bedsy's role. But they still finished the season relatively strong with some amazing wins with only one real downer performance struggling to get up for the Rise for Alex round.