What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett: James Roberts has been off drugs for 6 months

Wayne Bennett reveals James Roberts’ history of drug use, as Broncos sign star centre to four-year deal
Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
21 minutes ago

BRISBANE coach Wayne Bennett has revealed the extent of James Roberts’ problems included drug use after the in-form centre on Thursday inked a four-year extension with the Broncos.

Roberts has received a huge boost in the lead-up to Friday night’s clash against Parramatta, signing the most lucrative deal of his career to remain at the Broncos until the end of 2021.

But it has been a turbulent journey for the flyer, who just nine months ago hit rock bottom when he checked into a rehab facility in Thailand to address some off-field problems.

ad8bae316e4d30cbc295bc24056a1856

James Roberts at Broncos training. Picture: AAP
Roberts has been sacked by two other NRL clubs for alcohol-related indiscretions, but Bennett on Thursday made the stunning admission that the NSW Origin hopeful had also dabbled in drugs.

“James has had a remarkable change,” Bennett said.

“Off the field with his behaviour ... he has made some real commitments there.

“It’s not easy to do what he has done. He has given up alcohol and given up drugs.

“He has been in that situation for six or seven months and it’s been game-changing for him and that’s why he has got a four-year contract.

“His behaviour and attitude to his fellow teammates has changed. It is not all about James anymore. It is about the team and he interacts really well with them and is valued by them.

“When we bought James, we realised he had some problems, we weren’t that naive, but he continues to improve and what he has done has been quite remarkable.

“When he came here, you couldn’t say he was part of the team, but he is now, he is a real important part of the team and an equal with everyone else. They respect him and he makes a real contribution now.”

4ab188aa10252b51198854e566ecd821

Brisbane Broncos player James Roberts at Thursday’s press conference. "Ughhhh I'm a mong".

At the press conference announcing the $2 million deal, the star centre sat expressionless beside Bennett as the coach spoke of Roberts’ battles with alcohol and drugs.

The 24-year-old admitted his stint in rehab proved a major turning point, triggering the on-field form that has seen him score 13 tries in 17 games this season.

“Going to Thailand was a big thing,” he said. “I had a few months to myself and to think about myself. It made me realise a lot of things and thinking about my son made me realise there are more important things than just myself.

“Getting my life off the field has been the main factor here and the Broncos have done a wonderful job.

“They are a family orientated club and that’s what I’m all about. Over the last few months I have learnt to enjoy my family a lot more, I have a beautiful son now, so I’m looking forward to bringing him up in Brisbane.”

‘The Jet’ is the eighth Bronco to sign a new deal in the past four months as Brisbane build a squad determined to snap the club’s 11-year title drought.

Broncos chief executive Paul White said securing Roberts was a big moment for the club.

“We are excited that James has agreed to commit to the Broncos for another four years,” said White.

“The club is proud of the support we have shown James, but also the responsibility he has taken on to earn this new contract.

“The long-term nature of the contract is a show of faith by the Broncos in James, but also by James in the Broncos.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/6ba5b8543e169af7fc9afd11145bf388

More speed than Oxford street - it wasn't just a one-liner. Congrats to James for getting clean and sober without losing his job or being punished at all. Luckily for him, Benny and the Broncos love sweeping indiscretions under the carpet. Allowing one of their players to do drugs though?....hmmm.....

Life's Good

Coach
More speed than Oxford street - it wasn't just a one-liner. Congrats to James for getting clean and sober without losing his job or being punished at all. Luckily for him, Benny and the Broncos love sweeping indiscretions under the carpet. Allowing one of their players to do drugs though?....hmmm.....

He's a Bronco and this was never going to happen.

BTW, if true then good on him for growing up.

chigurh

Sign of the times. No Qld kid with any ability wants to play for the Broncos so they need a junkie from NSW and paying overs for a kid who doesnt even want to be there.

But don't worry Matt Lodge is still interested lol.

Yeah signing the next Kangaroos centre pairing to long term deals is a real negative for the Broncos haha

That's an ambitious troll but kudos for trying m8!

betcats

Referee
If Roberts had given up the drugs and alcohol in his teens I reckon he'd be worth a million right now.

no name

Coach
This is a great example on how to deal with issues that players have.
Unfortunately once the Sydney media get a whiff of situations like this as they are unfolding, such players are hung out to dry.
It will be interesting to see if there is comment from 'opinion writers' on this story, and if there is, whether they are positive or negative.

Incorrect

Coach
Don't count your chickens, Bird doesn't want to play in the centres for one thing and Roberts is due to go off the rails again soon.

I'd be surprised if Roberts is still playing for the Boncos come the end of season 2021.

He's bound to vomit on or grope somone who the Boncos can't keep quiet before then... he's already done the whole "rehab" thing so he'll be shown the door next time you'd think....

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Commentators always going on about how fast this guy is but legit he is slow as hell,can't even get past a disinterested washed up Hayne

Footage of Hayne owning this slow coach

Washed up Hayne 1
Prime Roberts 0

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Have there been any markets framed on how many years of this contract he'll see out?

Less than 4 would be shorter than Winx.

Latest posts