What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

lingard

Coach
It's more that people believe that to get ahead takes more than hard work - you need to identify as middle class, and display middle class culture. Part of that is denigrating the working class (even if that's where you're from) and thus working class hobbies like rugby league.

Very good point. If you want to 'get ahead' there's only one place to go - up to the middle class. You can't improve your lot and retain your lower class values (you actually can, but the perception is that you can't). All media advertising would have us believe that middle and upper class is the only place to lead a satisfying and constructive life.

phantom eel

First Grade
What is 'real life', Bart?
A very good question Lingard, and one philosphers have been debating over the ages. I don't pretend my answer to that will serve as a universal one.

Suffice to day that internet forums can be "more real life" to some (anonymous) people than to others. For some, it can be a mere distraction from "real life", a way to wile away time, and not to be taken seriously at all. For others, it can seem like a way for them to safely get all upset about other (anonymous) people, I don't know...

Glenneel

Bench
NRL is not marketed correctly.
Games are not marketed enough.
Ch9 and Fox market their coverage better than the clubs market the games.
They need to get players making comments about the team they are up against, create a bit of spite.
Bit like the WWE performers do.
If Normy rings up Hoppa this week and says "Mate I'm going to say stuff in the media this week about you to help promote the game, I'll say you can't catch a cold let alone a bomb and we will target you. so hoppa you respond back but saying I'm a weak link in the defence and you'll run your kick returns back at me etc, have a bit fun and get a big crowd to play in front of."

Bit of banter, gives the paper something to write about the game, the home team makes a little video ad around it and flog it on facebook, instagram etc and offer a discount code at the end of the ad to save 25% on tickets. A normal Thursday night game you might get 14k do a bit of promoting you might get 20-25k.
It's not rocket science but as it has been stated before the clubs spend what should be the marketing budget in the football dept instead and blame the NRL because crowds are down.
What the NRL are doing very poorly is not being McDonalds. That is engaging the kids at a young age. They don't need to play league but need to view it. Give away hundreds, even thousands, of tickets to schools. Kids go home wanting to go and parents follow. Their ticket prices cover the tickets given away. Give the game some atmosphere, games, etc for the kids and parents enjoy the kids enjoying the entertainment. Another bugbear, overpriced junk food and drinks.
Its simples really, get them young and they'll grow up watching and even playing league and getting their children to watch it.

Incorrect

Coach
I'm sure a guy with his level of journalistic integrity is planning an apology/retraction segment for his very next show as well.
I can hear Kent now if he's asked to respond to the NRL's tweet

"Look Ben, the NRL won't admit it but take it as fact - there are 11 teams over the cap for 2018.....

And those 8 teams are going to have to shed some players in order to get under the cap.....

Of the 5 of the teams I'm talking about that are over the cap, they will be given a deadline of some time in to the 2018 NRL season to get compliant....

I stand by my sources and info - there are 2 teams over the cap for 2018..."

Kent will play it like just like the old joke about the jewish kid asking his Dad for money....

"A Jewish boy walks up to his father and says "Papa, I need fifty dollars." The father says "forty dollars?! I don't have thirty dollars! What do you need twenty dollars for? Here's ten dollars." He hands the boy a five and says "split it with your brothers...and bring back the change."

Last edited:

Glenneel

Bench
If true that's 5 clubs that stand to benefit from some potential releases, part-paid by the clubs that overspent in anticaption of a larver cap increase. Bring it on!
Unless the NRL fold to the 11 clubs, then the 5 good clubs get screwed again by the 11 that probably cheat the most (was 12 but Parra found out).

phantom eel

First Grade
The NRL can't afford to fold, both financially in allowing these clubs a cost/cap blowout, or in reputation through being seen not doing anything about cheating clubs.

Gronk

Staff member
I can hear Kent now if he asked to respond to the NRL's tweet

"Look Ben, the NRL won't admit it but take it as fact - there are 11 team over the cap for 2018.....

And those 8 teams are going to have to shed some players in order to get under the cap.....

Of the 5 of the teams I'm talking about that over the cap will be given a deadline of some time in to the 2018 NRL season to get compliant....

I stand by my sources and info - there 2 teams over the cap for 2018..."

Kent will play it like just like the old joke about the jewish kid asking his Dad for money....

"A Jewish boy walks up to his father and says "Papa, I need fifty dollars." The father says "forty dollars?! I don't have thirty dollars! What do you need twenty dollars for? Here's ten dollars." He hands the boy a five and says "split it with your brothers...and bring back the change."

All true. He will dig deep and insist that *someone* from the NRL told him.

amitropo

Juniors
Maybe with all these extra players needing to be moved on now would be a time to introduce a new team for n Perth or second Brisbane team
Or maybe welcome back Norths?

Stagger eel

Staff member

Incorrect

Coach
I see a rumour from the NRL thread links Tom Opacic with Parra next year

Bennett suggests that with Moga off to the Knights that TO won't be released
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...p/news-story/5f04c6d97b45ae0b7db79096b63c9c4a

Of the short stint last year before injury TO seemed quite impressive, left side, very strong, would be good depth certain to push for top grade
If we're looking at any outside backs of Serbian extraction I'd prefer Cotric instead of Opacic....

Last edited:

Avenger

Immortal
100% not coming to Parra.

broncos won't be letting him go.
Are you sure? He is of Serbian descent. We need him, we also need the Trbojevic bothers, Cotric to replace Semi and John Bilbija to sponsor us. Also Lou Zivanovic should do the concreting for the new stadium.

Gronk

Staff member
Parramatta has offered in-form forward Nathan Brown an upgrade and extension on his contract on the back of a stellar 2017 campaign.

Fox Sports’ chief NRL reporter James Hooper told NRL Tonight the Eels will upgrade Brown’s contract for 2018, and offer an extension on top of that.

“The Eels have opened talks with Brown about upgrading and also extending his contract,” Hooper said.

“At the start of the year not too many people were talking about him as a player who would have so much impact on the competition.

“Plays above his weight, has deft skill with the ball, and he’s as tough as plenty of players who weigh far more on the scales”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/me...d/news-story/3a7a293947287e3268680ddb437c1005

Latest posts