What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mann

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
is it just me, Mary keeps saying in regards to Mann, the kid. He's 24, maybe Mary thinks he's just come up from the under 20's.

This may also explain why Mary wants to experience.

Hope Tuesday afternoon is not ground hog day and we are back with McCrone.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Flick Aiken from right centre for Kurt.
Hunt to Mann in attack, sounds real good to me.
No brainer.
CC
Personally I am hoping the Zac Lomax can take one of our centre position's next year and be our long term centre. I want to Lafai the other centre next year. Maybe Marsters can take Lafai's position by 2019 or 2020. I do not see Mann as centre, but he is a decent player to have on the bench, who can cover centre, wing, fullback half or 5/8 if an injury occurs to one of our starters.

I think that Mann had his best game that he has played yesterday and that was in the halves, the position that he played most of his juniors in. I think it will be great to have a top line half-5/8 to cover any injuries to Hunt or Widdop next year.

j0nesy

Bench
I agree that Mann is not a centre. He is an excellent utility half, come full back and of course can play wing. I think he struggles one on one in Defence against big centres and edge running forwards. We saw it with Josh Morris. Don't get me wrong, I reckon he's a good footballer. As I've said previously, I think he is in the mould of a Kurt Gidley. Just not a centre for me. I can even see him as a backup hooker, as others have suggested.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
He showed something he hasn't shown before when put in the halves or fullback, and that's confidence.

You almost need a touch of arrogance when playing in the key positions as the team is looking to you to direct the play.

He showed that for the first time today, and a great game was the result.

That's the key word with Mann all along his stop-start career,...confidence.

If there's one part of his game, it's his head drops significantly once he makes a mistake. On one hand, it shows he cares about his performance but it is something that needs constant attention.

Mind you, it doesn't help when McGregor is the 'coach'. One poor match against Cronulla at fullback a couple of years ago, and Mann hasn't been a shot at redemption once.

Walpole

Juniors
Like a few others are saying, I could definitely see Mann in the 14 next year. Covers all positions in the backline and could give us some real spark once he comes on (and in this scenario that would be for a lot more than 7 minutes a game!). With Hunt in the team there'll be plenty of options (Hunt to hooker to give McInnes a break, Mann himself at dummy half etc) for a creative, visionary coach to take advantage of. Wait....

How about Mann playing hooker next year?

I can see Mann being on the bench as a utility next year. He can cover any position is the backline. I am now starting to wonder how he would go coming on to play hooker/dummy half? I doubt that he has ever played hooker, but from yesterday's game, he does look like he should be closer to the ball. He does have a football brain, he does have a kicking game and he can defend. Some have already likened Mann to Gidley. Gidley did also play hooker and go alright at it too. If Mann could play hooker too, then I think he and Gutherson would be my top 2 contenders to be NSW utility back/hooker next year.

My biggest reservation about Mann at hooker is that I do prefer us to have an 80 minute hooker. I prefer to have the same spine for the whole of the game, as I think it provides a more stable base.
I was only being facetious frank I like mcinness as hooker I think he's been great for us this year but Mann is best played in the centers in my opinion now that money bags is off to the sharks I'd be happy for Kurt to lock that down

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Personally I think Kurt should be playing mostly on the wing in place of McDonald that way if any injuries come along it's easy to spot Kurt in there ,fullback, five eight,centre , half back .I'm talking next year as currently he's the half back.

hazzbeen

Bench
Personally I think Kurt should be playing mostly on the wing in place of McDonald that way if any injuries come along it's easy to spot Kurt in there ,fullback, five eight,centre , half back .I'm talking next year as currently he's the half back.
I was thinking the same Mann if seen as a utility player by our club all good , but he should be in the starting team somewhere and then if injuries happen then Mann can cover them by just moving him and not waiting for injuries or last 10 min to bring him on .....

Slippery Morris

First Grade
That second try Mann scored wreaks of a good quality half. Remember he has only played a handful of games and that try out of nothing stepping between players was genius. Widdop/Mary should hang their heads in shame overlooking him for McGroan. THey left it far to late to make the most obvious move on to improve the squad.

Stagger Lee

Bench
Need to spare a thought for poor Drew Hutchison. Injured at the start of this season which was his big chance to make his mark on the NRL as a first choice half. Then concerns over his contract because we sign Hunt. Then watching Mcgroan struggle in his position knowing if he could only get fit again he would be straight back into the first team for the finals so he works so hard to get fit only to see our finals chances slip away, and the final kick in the teeth for him ..... enter Kurt Mann with a MOTM performance

Drew I hope your next few years are better because no one deserves that sort of bad luck!

Carlton

Juniors
Mann was brilliant as halfback, we have not had a half play with speed and skill for I can't remember how long. He took the ball on the move used pace to get to the outside of his defender, straightened then when he was at the line sent a flat well directed pass on the run.

He also put in some very very good kicks, mixed things up a bit with some short passes and moved the ball early. See how much more dangerous Dugan looked in the centres getting early ball from Mann. In defence he worked his butt off and was backing up and looking to take the offloads.

Uplifting

Juniors
All I can say about Mann after the Titans game is he has the ability to be a good halfback.

The Titans aren't the hardest contest, so at this stage, he might get shut down against the big teams. Regardless he is a good talent and it was wonderful to watch.

j0nesy

Bench
Those who say kurt Mann is not a centre are off with the fairies
He has proven time and time again given an opportunity he is
A centre and 5/8,1/2,wing
If he can't get a start in the halves then next year with Dugan and Milne gone then he should be centre

I don't think he proven time and again he's a centre. I agree he has performed well in the halves and on the wing, but I don't think he has performed as well at centre. I thought he had a shocker in Defence against the dogs, he missed 6 tackles in a half in that game. Most on Josh Morris, who created havoc on that side of the field against us. He has potential at centre but I rate Aitken ahead of him at this stage. For me Kurt's the ideal 14, could be a half but for Widdop/Hunt, could be a fullback but for Dufty. He's much closer to replacing MacDonald or even Nightingale on the wing. Good player though and I don't doubt his ability to make any position in the backs his home given enough time there.

Life's Good

Coach
Unquestionably Mann had a great game on Saturday and showed he had all the skills - run, kick, pass, tackle. Reality is we were up against a side that has very little care factor allowing Mann to essentially run riot on a number of occasions. Even though you can only play the opposition in front of you Brisbane will be a completely different proposition so I hope he can back it up in the context of a much tougher team.
I am not so concerned if he doesn't (he hasn't had much time there). If he does carve it up(regardless of result) then serious questions need to be asked of McGregor persisting with McCrone for so long(I know those questions wont be asked but just wanted to get that off my chest).

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Drew Hutchison has had a bad year when he was on the verge of becoming the next No.7 to be promoted, that was similar to another halfback that was going to be promoted as well in Kyle Stanley. I hope Drew does not suffer the same luck as he did. Hopefully next season he can get a run somewhere. With Mann playing the way he did, Drew will rely on injuries unfortunately to give him any hope.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I'm happy we signed Hunt but if Dopey had of tried & given Mann a real go like he has with McCrone we might have saved some $. No matter what happens from here on in he needs to be told that the position is yours for the rest of the year & go out & play what's in front of you. Who knows he could be our missing X factor.

100% blacksafake
He is one of the best trainers in the club.
He's alway doing extras along with McInness.
He well like and a good young kid.
I hope he goes well this week against the donkeys.

Latest posts