What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest winger ever

Stagger Lee

Bench
Nathan Blacklock! Only winger to score 20+ tries three years in a row

Including this one:

Loved Blacklock possibly my favourite player ever - BMOZgoing to the dogs spoilt his chances.

Oh and for those who really know their english rugby league there was a chap I remember from my younger days called Green Vigo who I thought was great. He was reasonably fast but his main attribute was the fact that he was an out and out thug, a totally phscyo, I'm sure he wore knuckle dusters because his fend off usually left them bloodied. It was amazing how many other wingers slipped rather than tackle him and bear the consequences ( and scars).

GongPanther

Referee
Bill Mullins was the constant on the flank for the 1974-75 Roosters. Schue didn't make it to first grade until 1975, whilst Picket was the usually behind James Porter for the other wing spot. When Porter went to Parramatta at the end of 1974, Schubert was battling Pickett for the vacant wing spot. They only both wound up in the side together once Fairfax went down with a broken leg and Schubert was moved to fullback.

Correctamundo.My how time dulls the memory.Bill Mullins was great to watch...Remember Porter diving high for a try off one of Peard's mighty bombs in the GF.Used to watch Easts regulary at the Sportsground and hardly missed a finals match between 1971 up to until the SCG banned bringing in cartons of beer (because of the idiots on the hill during night criket) bought from the Olympic Hotel on Moore Park Road,and they also installed seating on the concourse under the Bradman Stand.

Better times before those changes.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Bill Mullins was the constant on the flank for the 1974-75 Roosters. Schue didn't make it to first grade until 1975, whilst Picket was the usually behind James Porter for the other wing spot. When Porter went to Parramatta at the end of 1974, Schubert was battling Pickett for the vacant wing spot. They only both wound up in the side together once Fairfax went down with a broken leg and Schubert was moved to fullback.

How could I have forgotten Bill Mullins on my list, great winger, just a shame he copped a broken jaw twice in his career when he was on the verge of being selected for the Australian side. One highlight of Bill Mullins I remember was late in his career when Easts were playing Newtown at the Sports Ground in 1978, East needed to win and were trailing 10-11 with 8 mins to go , then Mullins smashed his way through for two run away tries scattering Newtown players everywhere and Easts went on to win 20-11.

Munted

Bench
Isaah Yeo, he's a representative winger.

Other than him, ET or Martin offiah. Has anyone seen the clip of offiah scoring 10 tries in a semi final against Leeds I think
Loved saying his name as a kid.
Was very easy to go from offiah to ON Fire in the same breath when referring his ability to be lit.

SBD82

Coach
Paul Gallen. Oops, thought it was whinger.
He'd take the title, but only by a nose.

Corey Parker nearly pipped him to the post, and honourable mentions go to Greg bird, Jono Thurston, Robbie farah and James Graham.

Vee

First Grade
Brian Bevan is obviously the greatest winger ever. Only people who don't know the history of rugby league would say otherwise.
Heard a great story from Cyril Connell from the 56-57 Roo tour. The Roos were playing Bevan's Warrington and were getting ready in a shared dressing room. Cyril had never seen Bevan before and looked over at Bevan and saw a pasty white skeletal bald gummy old man, swathed in bandages like an Egyptian mummy and thought, "Look at this poor old codger, he's lost and wandered into the dressing room by mistake."
He pointed him out to an senior teammate who told him that was the great Brian Bevan.
"Take a good look at him son, that's probably as close as you'll get to him today."

"And it was" Cyril ruefully admitted, finishing the story.

Last edited:

Latest posts