What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

caylo

Bench
So you would be playing a bench hooker?
I prefer a utility on the bench but if you had Scott and Edwards on the bench I think eith Brown thats enough utility value and you are better off with 2 props on the bench (i.e Vave and mannah start, Matagi and Alvaro bench)

Having 3 props off the bench (i.e Terpeo on top of Matagj and Alvaro) is unnecessary and the 3rd prop become excess and your better off with a utility.

So basically with a full line up I woule have Beau Scott over Kayza and start with King.

strider

Post Whore
Kaysa has been used off the bench as an extra middle player - ie not come on as dummy half. While i wouldnt say its ideal, he goes hard and puts his body on the line. I wonder if his injury would stop that option now?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Kritchard must be very close to getting back in top 17.
During the pre-game on-field warm up on Thursday night he was fully kitted out and did all the drills.
I figure he was the "emergency" forward.

Interesting BA didn't give him a game in Wenty for some match fitness, he is obviously ready to play being a "emergency" result for the NRL.

Reckon it indicates BA will pick him in his top 17 and doesn't want to risk injury playing NSW cup.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Kaysa has been used off the bench as an extra middle player - ie not come on as dummy half. While i wouldnt say its ideal, he goes hard and puts his body on the line. I wonder if his injury would stop that option now?

I don't mind that option, it's done more for his defence and pick up our line speed and add some energy.

We have enough ball carriers in the side to cover him, but he does make some pretty good hit ups with his speed.

Stevie

Bench
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...m/news-story/0fe25b756953cc5f8807e40435093256

Sandor Earl set to return from ASADA ban, reportedly on verge of joining Melbourne Storm

DAVID RICCIO CHIEF SPORTS WRITER, The Sunday Telegraph
an hour ago

SANDOR Earl has described the possibility of joining the Melbourne Storm as a “gift” vowing to return with a desire to become the best winger in the game.

Just 48 hours ahead of his four-year ASADA ban being lifted on Tuesday, Earl has spoken for the first time about the ‘privilege’ of joining the NRL’s most dominant franchise.

The NRL have advised Earl that they wouldn’t stand in his way of registering a new contract once the ban is lifted.

And while he’s yet to seal a deal, the 27-year-old has held formal and informal discussions with several NRL clubs, including the Storm.

“For me, there’s no doubt they would be my number one priority,’’ Earl said.

“Had I not received this ban, I would’ve had years and years and years to be that best player I could possibly be, but now I’ve really only got one more chance.

“So if there’s ever going to be a time when you want to go to a club and see how good you really want to be, it’s the Melbourne Storm.

“Every player would vouch for this. They’re all so intrigued about what goes on at Melbourne. It’s getting to the point now, where it’s a gift to be given a position there.

“Look what happens to anyone that goes there, it’s ridiculous.

“They’re doing something right there, be it the way they treat the players, the culture of the club and I think you’d be mad not to be a part of it.

“I honestly think that they’ll take a liking to my approach and how I want to come there and work hard.

“There’s enough people in the club who will respect that and it’s up to me to make the most of that opportunity.

“If I don’t come back with the intention of being the best in my position, then I’m wasting everyone’s time. That’s my intention.’’

Earl said it was a case of unfinished business after four years out of the game.

“I could never finish on that note,’’ Earl said.

“I did it before (played NRL), and in my opinion as half the man, with half the knowledge and half the physicality, so what’s stopping me now?’’

Under the rules of his ASADA sanction, Earl isn’t permitted to be involved in any team sport or training.

However, over the course of his suspension he has sort advice from the best high performance staff in their field including, former ARU strength and conditioning coach John Pryor, Japanese rugby union strength and conditioning coach Keir Wenhamm-Flatt and Melbourne-based conditioner Christian Woodford.

Earl has also undertaken jujitsu wrestling classes in readiness for the contact he’ll be forced to requaint himself with.

“Those guys have been key in this journey, they’ve taken my focus to another level,’’ Earl said.

“The one thing about this (coming back) that I’m excited about, is getting to training with everyone again.

“That team environment is something I’ve really missed.

“The ball is rolling as far as clubs are concerned and I’ve got the best in the business looking after me.

“There’s opportunities, it’s just about taking the right path. I know I’ll be somewhere come November.’’

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...radra-at-parramatta-eels-20170825-gy4p2z.html

Sandor Earl the surprise contender to replace Semi Radradra at Parramatta Eels
Sandor Earl is a surprise contender to replace rugby-bound winger Semi Radradra at Parramatta next season.

Earl's four-year ban for taking and trafficking performance-enhancing drugs expires on Tuesday and the Eels are one of four clubs considering throwing him an NRL lifeline.

Parramatta, St George Illawarra, Melbourne and Canberra have expressed interest in signing Earl for 2018. Given it will be four years since his last game, it would be one of the game's most extraordinary comebacks.

Earl has spent part of his sabbatical in Thailand, but recently moved to Melbourne, where he opened up an F45 Training franchise. That would make the Storm an ideal fit and there have already been discussions with their officials about the prospect of playing under Craig Bellamy.

Earl, 27, has already played with Canberra and the Raiders are open to giving him another crack in the lime green. The Dragons, a club with a proven track record of giving players a second chance, are also an option. The departure of Josh Dugan and Taane Milne has freed up salary cap space and back line spots, which could provide an opportunity for Earl in the Red V.

But perhaps the most intriguing option is Parramatta. The blue and golds have at their disposal Radradra, the most devastating winger in the world. The "Semi Trailer" scored four tries against Brisbane on Friday night to underline his value, but will depart at the end of the season to link with French rugby outfit Toulon. The Toulon deal is for one season, with an option in Radradra's favour for another, meaning he could potentially return to the Eels before the June 30 transfer window closes next year.

Regardless, Parramatta will need a replacement for the start of 2018 and Earl is being considered. It would be unrealistic to expect a man who hasn't played for four years to adequately replace the destructive Radradra, but an Eels move may give Earl the opportunity he's been looking for.

Parramatta have an outstanding three-quarter prospect in Greg Leleisiuao, but Earl could potentially fill the void until he is ready for first grade or when Radradra returns.

In a recent interview with Fairfax Media, Earl said he was keen to be remembered for more than just his drugs dramas.

"We are nearly four years in, all the facts are out there," Earl said.

"The public had their perception based on some pretty crazy media articles during the first six months. But now people have got the facts and the perception has changed.

"I don't want people to feel sorry for me, but at the end of the day, I was hard done by. I think everyone gets that. People around me want to see me get back into doing what I enjoy doing and have a crack. Once I start playing, everything else can be put into the past. Then I can go out on my own terms, that's a big motivator."

IMO anyone who thinks Earl will make it in the NRL is dead set deluded. The guy has been out of the game for 4 years! Not playing any other sport regardless of how much he like to go to the gym. Also, despite the fact he finish off tries with a few spectacular put downs the guy is a fringe first grader in the first point.
Saying he will make it back, let alone become the games best winger is laughable. I'd back Mundine over him for a successful comeback and you know how seriously I take that.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Interesting BA didn't give him a game in Wenty for some match fitness, he is obviously ready to play being a "emergency" result for the NRL.

Reckon it indicates BA will pick him in his top 17 and doesn't want to risk injury playing NSW cup.

BA isn't a fan of risking players in Wenty if they have a chance at playing first grade. He took Hoffman out of Wenty yesterday and a few weeks back Gower, Fritchard and Terepo didn't play for Wenty after injury.

hindy111

Post Whore
BA isn't a fan of risking players in Wenty if they have a chance at playing first grade. He took Hoffman out of Wenty yesterday and a few weeks back Gower, Fritchard and Terepo didn't play for Wenty after injury.

There all seasoned first graders and all fit.

Scott and Manu will come in this week. Gower and Frank are my guess to drop out.
Bevan id say takes an extra week.

Glenneel

Bench
Stating the bleeding obvious, I really hope BA can tune the boys in this Friday V The Bunnys.
Our previous 2 best performances V The Donkeys followed games V Tigers, which we were lucky to win and The Tits, where we did just enough to win helped by the fact our opposition was rubbish.
My point is that we played like we had one eye on the following weeks game. In this instance our minds may well be on The Storm game, week one of the semis.
A big challenge for BA and the boys this Friday.
Yes need to win well against Souths, I think BA will be looking closely at our defence this game. Defensive lapses will kill us in the finals, especially against the Storm. They are a very confident team and with the big 3 not prone to panic easily so we'll need to rush them in defence to cut down their thinking time.

Glenneel

Bench
Jared Hayne is the best player in history and we should take on his full deal and shop Gutho around.

Also we need at least ten big, fat slobs up front if we're going to make the top 4. We make too many tackles and not enough metres!
Think RS already tried this at the Raiders without much success this year.

Glenneel

Bench
Despite his limitations, I'm a huge Taka fan - he brings a great running game, a solid passing game, and a handy short kicking game.

He's also one of those personalities that teammates love to have with them in the trenches (like Kenny).

But where do we play him at full strength?

Quite the pickle.
We also have Niukore and John Falou playing well for Wenty apparently so plenty of cover for back row for next year if both contracts renewed.

chiefy1

Juniors
Scott won't be back, Kaysa won't be back.
Why change a line up that's won something like 11 out of the last 13 ?

Why should players like Terepo or Frankie make way for Scott ? It's not like we were killing it when Scott was coming from the bench.

If there's injuries, then yes - but no no no !

Stevie

Bench
Breaking news just popped up on my FB feed.

But apparently a "very high profile sports star" on the Gold Coast is critical after crashing his car at speed through a road fence near Mermaid Beach?

It says they cannot name him for legal reasons but no doubt it will break soon. Hope everyone's OK.

Not good.