What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Belta

Juniors
Yep I think after last years dismal attack the coaching staff realise to win games you can't just focus on the 'D'. Attacking speedsters like Dufty, Field and Mann and to a lesser degree Aitken are IMO examples of the type skill we should be structuring our attack around. I think the reason is the game has evolved over the years where once you could make Grand Finals if you had a good defence now you need to both defend well and also score points. I think Dufty is going well and will only get better.

Bench
His highlight video on Utube shows just how great he can become. He has a way to go but so far he has been solid and will improve with each game

hazzbeen

Bench
Yep I think after last years dismal attack the coaching staff realise to win games you can't just focus on the 'D'. Attacking speedsters like Dufty, Field and Mann and to a lesser degree Aitken are IMO examples of the type skill we should be structuring our attack around. I think the reason is the game has evolved over the years where once you could make Grand Finals if you had a good defence now you need to both defend well and also score points. I think Dufty is going well and will only get better.
Mate this has been lacking since Morris left you need speed , if things are not going to plan and you have someone who can swoop onto a loose ball and go 90 meters . Those sort of players can get you back in the game , its been lacking for a long time ...

j0nesy

Bench
It's great to see a young kid come through isn't it? He's enthusiastic and has pride in the jersey. Great attitude. He has speed to burn and is a nice little ball player. He has surprised me with his defence, has been solid under the high ball and is a surprisingly brace and strong.

I think he has the potential to be anything. But I don't want to see him put under too much pressure. Right now it's fair to say he has shown himself to be a solid first grader and at his young age that is all you can expect. Fingers crossed there's more to come.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
It's great to see a young kid come through isn't it? He's enthusiastic and has pride in the jersey. Great attitude. He has speed to burn and is a nice little ball player. He has surprised me with his defence, has been solid under the high ball and is a surprisingly brace and strong.

I think he has the potential to be anything. But I don't want to see him put under too much pressure. Right now it's fair to say he has shown himself to be a solid first grader and at his young age that is all you can expect. Fingers crossed there's more to come.

Exactly Jonesy
NRL player tend to start to show what they can really do after about 50 games under there belt.
Dufty will improve each week.

Old Timer

Coach
Good luck to him and up yours to all the people who were saying he was arrogant etc just more bullshit.
The tragedy IMO is that it took injuries for Mc Fookknuckle to finally get him into the top grade.
If there were no injuries we may not have seen him this year at all and that would have been very sad indeed.
Looking forward to cheering him on in the years ahead.

PS: Can't wait for a few of his mates from the lower grades to be there with him and then we will really have something to cheer about.

j0nesy

Bench
Good luck to him and up yours to all the people who were saying he was arrogant etc just more bullshit.
The tragedy IMO is that it took injuries for Mc Fookknuckle to finally get him into the top grade.
If there were no injuries we may not have seen him this year at all and that would have been very sad indeed.

PS: Can't wait for a few of his mates from the lower grades to be there with him and then we will really have something to cheer about.

What do you think about Field? To me he's an out and out 5/8th. I reckon he'll have a huge season next season in reserves. That could put some pressure on Widdop and make it very difficult for the club to retain him.

Old Timer

Coach
What do you think about Field? To me he's an out and out 5/8th. I reckon he'll have a huge season next season in reserves. That could put some pressure on Widdop and make it very difficult for the club to retain him.
I agree he is a 5/8 through and through and needs all of next year to grow into his body but I suspect he will be a beauty.
I don't think some exposure into 1st grade will do him any harm maybe but he is small so no need to rush madly down that road.
Widdop is a conundrum he can be brilliant and yet poor and sometimes you have to watch the replay to see all the little extra things he does do that people often miss
If he doesn't have a stellar year all year with Hunt at 7 then it is time for us to move on and give youth its chance the problem is we did extend Widdop for 4 years.

j0nesy

Bench
I agree he is a 5/8 through and through and needs all of next year to grow into his body but I suspect he will be a beauty.
I don't think some exposure into 1st grade will do him any harm maybe but he is small so no need to rush madly down that road.
Widdop is a conundrum he can be brilliant and yet poor and sometimes you have to watch the replay to see all the little extra things he does do that people often miss
If he doesn't have a stellar year all year with Hunt at 7 then it is time for us to move on and give youth its chance the problem is we did extend Widdop for 4 years.

Yeah I was surprised that we signed Widdop up for 4 years. Particularly after a very poor 2016 season. I suspected that we wouldn't be able to hold on to both Widdop and Dugan and always thought one would go. I would have bet my house it would have been Widdop, with Hunt coming and the club fast tracking Field over Dufty. I think Widdop's early season form saved him. And to be fair he has had an excellent season (topping Dally M's I think). Let's hope there is a pathway for Field still. I also just have this feeling that young Willis might have the goods, he's a few seasons off yet but there's just something about him, I can't put a finger on it but it's probably just determination and commitment. Then there's young Sailor coming through too and that hooker Robson. Wow we have some juniors coming through around the halves, when it rains it poors.

Old Timer

Coach
Yeah I was surprised that we signed Widdop up for 4 years. Particularly after a very poor 2016 season. I suspected that we wouldn't be able to hold on to both Widdop and Dugan and always thought one would go. I would have bet my house it would have been Widdop, with Hunt coming and the club fast tracking Field over Dufty. I think Widdop's early season form saved him. And to be fair he has had an excellent season (topping Dally M's I think). Let's hope there is a pathway for Field still. I also just have this feeling that young Willis might have the goods, he's a few seasons off yet but there's just something about him, I can't put a finger on it but it's probably just determination and commitment. Then there's young Sailor coming through too and that hooker Robson. Wow we have some juniors coming through around the halves, when it rains it poors.
Just hope we have the vision to see what we are sitting on and the ability to nurture it and then the finesse to utilise it.
That is a very big concern for me especially when we offer Nighty an extension, Widdop 4 years, hold onto dead wood in 1st grade like Nene and use our bench so abysmally.
Anyway let's get through this weekend and see where to from there.

Drakon

Juniors
http://www.nrl.com/dufty-wants-more-than-his-name-in-lights/tabid/10874/newsid/111566/default.aspx

I'm a huge Dufty fan OT but there is some truth to the arrogance. Albeit he does seem to have learnt his lesson and seems quite circumspect now. I particularly like his passion and respect for the Red V.

Hornby benched him very early on in his career to teach him a lesson. Dufty volunteered this in an interview.

Frank Facer

First Grade
He will get bigger, stronger and improve his defence.

Perfect link man.

Has the speed the team so desperately needs to turn half chances in to points.

A talent with pride and passion for the red V.

Extend his contract nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww !
I don't know if he will get much bigger. If he does bulk up too much, then he may lose his speed and agility, which is his strength.

I think Milford was better at fullback when he had a lighter frame.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I hope you are right about Field. If he can develop into the player that you and I are hoping that he can be, then they could mean an early exit for Widdop.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I don't think that we should have re-signed Widdop for 4 years. I think we should have re-signed him for 2 or 3 years.

watatank

Coach

Field needs more time in lower grades regardless of what position he ends up in, but it depends where the opportunities will be. We have already shown our intent of pairing Widdop and Hunt in the halves so that's probably going to stay barring injury. I think Field will probably end up competing with Dufty for fullback but if Dufty continues to develop his game he will make it harder for Field to break into the team.

Latest posts