What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 26 - Parramatta Eels v South Sydney Rabbitohs GAME DAY THREAD

fanool

Juniors
Joey was right. It is raining all week in Melbourne.

Ironic really. I remember in 2009 we needed a dry track and it rained for a week.

We should get down there!!!!

Eelpout

Juniors
Matagi is standing on shaky ground with Kaysa almost certainly ready to return next week. He got 21 minutes tonight, whereas B.A opted to give Mannah and Alvaro longer stints.

This said, it will be our aim next week to try and take it to them in the middle so I am not overly confident in which path we take.

No Eels supporter should be concerned with tonights performance. One eye was on next week and I think much of our team will have the game of their lives.

Bazal

Post Whore
Matagi is standing on shaky ground with Kaysa almost certainly ready to return next week. He got 21 minutes tonight, whereas B.A opted to give Mannah and Alvaro longer stints.

This said, it will be our aim next week to try and take it to them in the middle so I am not overly confident in which path we take.

No Eels supporter should be concerned with tonights performance. One eye was on next week and I think much of our team will have the game of their lives.

Matagi isn't on shaky ground just because he got fewer minutes. Souths were out enthusing us, so the two better defenders got greater minutes than the bloke who is built like a hobbit on steroids.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
We already have two co-captains who are forwards. We need a leader to captain the co-captains ?

Not really!! Probably meant more of another quality forward that has leadership qualities!! Look at sharks they have Lewis / Fifita / graham, broncos Thaiday / Gillette/ McGuire, Roosters JWH / friend, all rep quality forwards along with their captains.

Last edited:

Eelpout

Juniors
Matagi isn't on shaky ground just because he got fewer minutes. Souths were out enthusing us, so the two better defenders got greater minutes than the bloke who is built like a hobbit on steroids.

The fact that he was only given one stint towards the back half of the game suggests otherwise.

Bazal

Post Whore
If Kaysa were to come onto the bench who do you think would drop off?

Right now? Vave, and Matagi to start in his place. Historically Vave has been the one BA has left out. Probably because he's the worst defender of our middle forwards.

The simple fact is that Alvaro and Mannah are far and away our best defensive props, and that's why they got extra minutes tonight in a game we played poorly and needed to win. Plus Alvaro was killing it. 14 runs and 140m on top of 40 tackles. He was always going to get extra minutes playing the way he was.

phantom eel

First Grade
If Kaysa were to come onto the bench who do you think would drop off?
Kaysa's not coming onto the bench imo, unless there's mid-week injuries or Bevan returns.

The purhcase of Moses has made what Kaysa brings to the squad kind of redundant imo. Smith provdes "in game cover" for if we need to switch someone to hooker if King goes off hurt. If French comes back in Smith's spot, then Smith would likely not stay in the 17 - and perhaps then BA might see some purpose in bringing Kaysa onto the bench (to provide in game cover for King).

Eelpout

Juniors
Right now? Vave, and Matagi to start in his place. Historically Vave has been the one BA has left out. Probably because he's the worst defender of our middle forwards.

You could be right to think that B.A would leave Vave out (considering Matagi hasn't missed a game all season) but if you could only have one of the two if the plan was to give 20 mins, I know who I would take. With Beau coming back it is a real option.

Kaysa's not coming onto the bench imo

The fact that he didn't get a little time tonight tells me that this is probably the case.

phantom eel

First Grade
We did it tough tonight, tougher than a true contender side should have.

Glad Mannah finally played more minutes - if only to get him more match ready to do so again in the finals, if required.

I don't see any changes to the 17 other than through mid-week injury. Gower KPritchard and FPricthard are first options to cover a for a forward injury, and Hoffman and possibly French as options to cover for an injury in the bakcline.

Bazal

Post Whore
You could be right to think that B.A would leave Vave out (considering Matagi hasn't missed a game all season) but if you could only have one of the two if the plan was to give 20 mins, I know who I would take. With Beau coming back it is a real option.

I also think that you know what you'll get with Matagi. He'll always run hard. He's not the biggest, so it doesn't always come off, but he always runs hard and one charge like that can swing a game. Plus he's got a passing game and an offload so he offers some variety. On the other hand Vave can be hit and miss. Like tonight, he had that early run in broken play that was deadset 20m+ but only made 6 runs for 66m in the match. It was a good early run, but then he dropped off. Matagi at least keeps running hard even if he gets belted.