What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super XIII

Super XIII

With a view to eventually building a professional league, the Federation has developed a vertical pyramid of Elite 1 competitions for the upcoming divisions next season. The Elite 2 will be divided into two east / west hens. Brewing will be carried out in the other divisions, prior to assignment of teams in level pools. The clubs will provide a list of 20 players required to play in Elite 1. The other players may start the season with the reserve teams under certain conditions. A logic of "pools of players" is advanced to strengthen the professionalism of the clubs. The same player can thus "slide" from one division to another in the various teams involved in his club. Lastly, contracts of appointment of 2 years are envisaged.

http://www.lindependant.fr/2017/04/30/rugby-a-xiii-l-elite-en-mode-super-league,3010561.php

The Daddy3

Juniors
Super XIII

With a view to eventually building a professional league, the Federation has developed a vertical pyramid of Elite 1 competitions for the upcoming divisions next season. The Elite 2 will be divided into two east / west hens. Brewing will be carried out in the other divisions, prior to assignment of teams in level pools. The clubs will provide a list of 20 players required to play in Elite 1. The other players may start the season with the reserve teams under certain conditions. A logic of "pools of players" is advanced to strengthen the professionalism of the clubs. The same player can thus "slide" from one division to another in the various teams involved in his club. Lastly, contracts of appointment of 2 years are envisaged.

http://www.lindependant.fr/2017/04/30/rugby-a-xiii-l-elite-en-mode-super-league,3010561.php

A French pro league should look something like this to begin with and then add 4-6 northern teams over time.

Catalan Dragons
TO
Avignon
Aude Cathares
Aquitaine Leopards
Albi Tigers
Lyon Rhone-Villebaune
Marseille

une-idee-des-noms-de-provinces_982586_800x600.jpg.f68cb8b4e9f2a224461aa7d55702e6c8.jpg

I didn't realise it was supposed to be a regional comp with every region represented. I thought it was just some current clubs with franchises set up in Paris and Marseilles etc, which seemed ambitious but not necessarily impossible with two or three investors to back the expansion clubs.

But this... I can't see how this could possibly work. It's like some fan's fantasy. They'd need tens of millions per year, maybe hundreds. And that's before you consider players, paying fans etc.

I didn't realise it was supposed to be a regional comp with every region represented. I thought it was just some current clubs with franchises set up in Paris and Marseilles etc, which seemed ambitious but not necessarily impossible with two or three investors to back the expansion clubs.

But this... I can't see how this could possibly work. It's like some fan's fantasy. They'd need tens of millions per year, maybe hundreds. And that's before you consider players, paying fans etc.
Totally agree a little to ambitious also I think it is a 3/4 month comp like the big bash. .
http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/307637-frances-super-xiii-details/&page=2

Yep seems to be a big bash style comp. Except with 13 teams they must at least play each once so it's not just a few weeks. How will the elite clubs view this? They'll be supplying players in their offseason and playing second fiddle. A lot of questions.

jim_57

Staff member
Doesn't look like much thought was given to starting conservatively. Wish them all the best but this is up there with some of the best "pie in the sky" stuff.

From what little I have heard of the man though he has some credentials but I really don't see how all this works. Main obvious concerns:
  • 13 teams makes it hard to condense in to pools.
  • Are Elite players going to be able to play an extra 3 months
  • Money/Sponsorships/TV
  • Stadiums
  • Little to no League in the Northern regions
  • Perpignan, Toulouse & Aude repped by same regional team.
Good luck is all I can say.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Seems to me a lot of the players will be union leftovers and alsorans. See partnership with Provale.
Clubs will surely be aligned with soccer clubs.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Another thing - notice the first article is in lemonde .... that is rare indeed for league in France.

Secondly...the gist with Provale seems to be let's get some union guys playing league, even if only for 13 weeks, and this will make them better union players. Interesting gambit.

Now, a lot will be against this, but league in France has very little left to lose with this approach. I'm pretty sure if the thing ever got any traction the drawbridge would be lifted very quickly.

adamkungl

Immortal
13 regions seems very tough to pull off when the vast majority of leaguies are in 2 or 3.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Man France is frustrating - either take the Elite 1 clubs and add some big city franchises to it and go pro with that or continue to feed clubs into the English system until there are enough strong pro clubs to form either a pro French league or a French conference in SL. It's not that hard - maybe Eric Perez needs to give them a lesson or two.

StadiumXIII

Juniors
Far too ambitious if this doesn't work the only teams who I believe should be part of a professional setup are. 8 teams could be a good start, expansion could happen every 2 years, add maybe an Italian team in there and some more Northern teams Lille, Nantes and it could start shaping up. If this does workout and grow however good luck to the FFR13.:
Albi
Avignon
Carcassonne
Catalans
Lezignan
Lyon
Montpellier
Paris
Toulouse

Need villenueve in the mix but yout pretty much nailed it

Far too ambitious if this doesn't work the only teams who I believe should be part of a professional setup are. 8 teams could be a good start, expansion could happen every 2 years, add maybe an Italian team in there and some more Northern teams Lille, Nantes and it could start shaping up. If this does workout and grow however good luck to the FFR13.:
Albi
Avignon
Carcassonne
Catalans
Lezignan
Lyon
Montpellier
Paris
Toulouse

After almost three years of postponements, stammering and hesitations, the Super XIII will not take place. Yet it was the flagship project of President Palanques. The one that would give light to the rugby league in France, and professionalize our structures. And in the end ... nothing.

Before this burial first class, some ads. For example, the creation of 13 teams, with names that we qualify as "original" as the Parigots or Winegrowers. These teams had to face the summers in a sort of "Cup of Provinces". To add spice, it was question of attracting quinzists, to put 15 million euros on the table, and so on and better.

After these promising announcements ... Silence radio. Nothing or almost nothing, except a few terse phrases to announce a postponement in 2019. 2019, year that will mark the official end of this project, which was initially a subject of hopes before quickly becoming a joke .

To justify this failure, Luc Dayan will use the "wild card": The plot! Paul Goze does not want to "spin" players (and nothing forces him to), so we bury everything, but we promise it's not our fault. Attention I do not deny that there may have been in other circumstances, some twisted shots of the quinzists. The problem is that this argument has been used in a loop for more than 50 years, with each defeat, each failure, or each retreat of our movement.

Yet, the refusal to spend on TV, the turn Internet taken with 20 years late, the non-existent communication of some clubs, the fight of 81, the failure of the Project Fouroux and Knights Cathars .... This is not the fault of the quinzists. The big problem of thirteen in France is there. It hurts things, and at the time of the accounts, rather than admit mistakes, think and go to plan B, we will accuse the "descendants of Pascot" or "heirs of Vichy."

As long as this mentality lasts, we will not move forward. Too bad that on this blow, the federation does not show the example. But hey, given the stakes ... It was hard for her to admit her mistakes. Yet today, this failure is implacable.

https://treizemondial.fr/enterrement-de-premiere-classe-pour-le-super-xiii/

Its been cancelled.

Latest posts