What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop- still the worst player in the nrl

blacklock

Juniors
A while back I stated we would never win a premiership with widdop in our team. That it was a case of history repeating when we had Barrett in our side.

Zero creativity. Zero spark. Bad decision making. Crap and predictable kicking game.

At the time there was outrage and the thread taken down.

How many of his fans would still defend him now?

We gave up soward who consistently kept us in games and gave us our first premiership in an age. Yet we are cursed with widdop and nobody is looking to drop him.

Next year will be the same as this. You can't do the same thing over and expect a different result. We either lose widdop or we miss the finals. Let's not afford the white players more latitude than we do indigenous players.

Redhoopz

Juniors
A while back I stated we would never win a premiership with widdop in our team. That it was a case of history repeating when we had Barrett in our side.

Zero creativity. Zero spark. Bad decision making. Crap and predictable kicking game.

We gave up soward who consistently kept us in games and gave us our first premiership in an age. Yet we are cursed with widdop and nobody is looking to drop him.

Next year will be the same as this. You can't do the same thing over and expect a different result. We either lose widdop or we miss the finals. Let's not afford the white players more latitude than we do indigenous players.

I think you're last sentence is a bit off...It's got nothing to do with that.

It comes down to who's the best player in that position in the club.

Widdop is the skipper and he won't be dropped. McGregor has shown time and time again that he picks and sticks. McGregor rarely drops anyone, regardless of performance.

While he didn't play great today, he was our best player up until he got injured in the Anzac game. Widdop had a strong game last week and showed he can close out a game. It's a shame he couldn't back it up this week.

Next year will be interesting as this will be the first time Widdop will have an established halfback playing alongside him.

blacklock

Juniors
Had Jamie soward performed the way widdop did the past few years woupd commentators not be lamenting his dip in form?

What is it about widdop that immunizes him from such criticism.

Call it what you want but the reality is what it is. White players are treated differently. Even in the face of irrefutable evidence. We missed the damn finals again. Yet not a whisper even of getting rid of the player who's meant to organise the attack?

Today we looked a wreck. Did you hear the commentators hot mic? I quote... They called our attack "aweful and nightmarish". And this was after we had scored. Our team has become a punch line.

barry

Juniors
Ive been very critical of Widdop in the past, but i have a feeling we are going to see a very good Garreth Widdop with the inclusion of Ben Hunt.

I cant see it happening but i really hope Graham or Hunt captains the team next year to take away even more pressure off Widdop

Widdop is the skipper and he won't be dropped. McGregor has shown time and time again that he picks and sticks. McGregor rarely drops anyone, regardless of performance.

While he didn't play great today, he was our best player up until he got injured in the Anzac game. Widdop had a strong game last week and showed he can close out a game. It's a shame he couldn't back it up this week.

Next year will be interesting as this will be the first time Widdop will have an established halfback playing alongside him.
I gotta say your interpretation of Widdop's performance this year is very forgiving.
The little patch of encouragement at the beginning of the season was 4 and a half months ago!!
Last week we were jammy lucky and won because Sims made an incredible individual play that won the game for us.
Even if we give credit to Widdop for the Penrith game what about the Souths game where he couldn't find touch with minutes on the clock?
What about yesterday? The start of the game was diabolical.
Kick into the corner on the second tackle? Kicking the ball into JDB's back while trying a clearing kick?
I think his short kicking game is very good but his long kicking game is mediocre.
There have been so many games that he has not been able to close out and that have cost us dearly.
Widdop is nothing more than a good support/link man which was his role in Melbourne.
Making him captain and giving him game management responsibilities was just too optimistic.
He struggles to combine with his halves partners (whoever they may be) and that does not augur well for the arrival of Hunt.

Red V for life

Juniors
When Widdop plays badly, the team performance is just bloody ordinary as we have no other options.

Next year we have Hunt who is a true half and should be the dominant half. I am hoping the halving of the responsibility will result in more consistent performances of both Widdop and the team.

Having said that, for this to happen, we either need Mary not to be coach or for him to pull his head out of his a$$ and see the situation for what it is. You'll forgive me if I have zero confidence.

What we'll probably get is Mary trotting out the "the new halves combination needs time to gel" line from March through Sept 2018 as another season slips by.

monsterkev

Juniors

You hit the nail on the head
He was our best player up until he got injured so where has he been since and why can't he play 2 good games in a row
His kicking game yesterday was abysmal and has been most of the season
People can defend Widdop but firstly should have the captaincy taken off him and see if he is any better

Saints111

Juniors
Don't rate him, he trys to hard, runs sideways to much and makes wrong plays and too many mistakes, he can defend and read plays, I'll give him that

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
He's not the worst player, but neither has he been all that good. I'm sick of hearing about how good he will be with a proper half. Thurston, Maloney go ok regardless of who the halfback is, but I really dont think it will make any difference to Widdops game.

j0nesy

Bench

While I agree that he had a bad game and is not the best 5/8th in the comp, I think you're massively overreacting. He's an above average half lacking a decent halves parter, playing in a poorly coached football team. I wouldn't have him captain.

Carlton

Juniors
I wish the blind defence of Widdop would stop and instead his play be assessed objectively. All I hear are excuses for his poor form:

Needs a different half - he has had a number of halves and hasn't consistently worked with any of them.

He was injured - so what that's football, JT still performs during and after injury.

He has a bad coach - yes we know but its not Mary putting in poor kicks and taking the wrong on field options.

He is our "premier" playmaker and leader, he needs to be able to perform regardless of the excuses. Cronk or JT in our team with Mary as coach would still be stars taking the right options.

If the poor game management issue within the team isn't fixed the results will not change next year either. We have Hunt and Graham joining us - great, but if the dynamics surrounding Widdop and his role in the team is left as it is, it will mean nothing.

Redhoopz

Juniors
I gotta say your interpretation of Widdop's performance this year is very forgiving.
The little patch of encouragement at the beginning of the season was 4 and a half months ago!!
Last week we were jammy lucky and won because Sims made an incredible individual play that won the game for us.
Even if we give credit to Widdop for the Penrith game what about the Souths game where he couldn't find touch with minutes on the clock?
What about yesterday? The start of the game was diabolical.
Kick into the corner on the second tackle? Kicking the ball into JDB's back while trying a clearing kick?
I think his short kicking game is very good but his long kicking game is mediocre.
There have been so many games that he has not been able to close out and that have cost us dearly.
Widdop is nothing more than a good support/link man which was his role in Melbourne.
Making him captain and giving him game management responsibilities was just too optimistic.
He struggles to combine with his halves partners (whoever they may be) and that does not augur well for the arrival of Hunt.

I agree with most of the things you mentioned, I was trying to highlight the fact that he has the ability, just rarely do we get to see it consistently and for 80mins.

Both halves have had shocking seasons with the boot, especially the long kicks. It must be the way they are coached. Almost all kicks inside our own half were midfield bombs. I also think we hold the record for most kicks into players, it's a Widdop specialty.

I don't think Widdop should be skipper. I would give it to Thompson or JDB. Hopefully that would take some pressure off him.

If you look at the list of halfbacks he's had next to him, its no surprise really.

I'm really hoping that Hunt will come in and become the dominant half and direct the team around the park. Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

gregstar

Referee
Widderp reflected the team. Went gang busters early season. Turned gomer after.

His injury seem to f**k him as well.

Interestingly, jowls was resigned when this happened.