What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ash411

Bench
I always felt storm looked better team and more dangerous. We did great to keep it close. Scored a few when they where down to 12 men.And had some bad calls go against us. From about 20 -38min we dominated. They did for first 20.
From 40-58min again they dominated. We then had s good 6-7mins and the rest of game was even.
We? but Penrith didn't play the storm.

You lost the privilege of calling Parra "We".

Gronk

Staff member
Parramatta Eels head into sudden-death final with uncertainty around key positions

The Parramatta Eels will head into their sudden-death semi-final with uncertainty surrounding the availability of their fullback and hooker.

A heavy collision in the loss to Melbourne has left dummy half Cameron King with nerve damage, while replacement fullback Will Smith is mounting a case to retain the No.1 jersey despite the fact Bevan French is edging closer to returning from a hamstring injury.

The Eels aren't overly confident of having French back on deck this week, but even if he manages to get himself right in time for the Saturday night game, Smith is hopeful a strong showing against the Storm may see him hold on to the fullback jumper.

"I'll get back to training and prepare the same way I did this week. If the coach picks me or doesn't it's up to him," Smith said following his side's two-point loss to Melbourne on Saturday.

"I think he [French] should be back this week, so it just depends if the coach likes what I did today and keeps me there or puts me back on the bench.

"I'm confident I can keep my place in the team, either at fullback or wherever the coach needs me. I'm confident about the way I played today. I reckon there's a good chance I'll be playing again next week."

Coach Brad Arthur will also have to monitor the situation with his hookers given King lost feeling through his arm in a tackle that floored the dummy half and brought the game to a halt for five minutes.

With Kaysa Pritchard now available for selection after recovering from what was originally feared to be a season-ending injury, Arthur has a selection conundrum on his hands.
1505032327377.jpg

Circle work: The Eels have a puzzle on their hands when it comes to their elimination final line-up. Photo: AAP
He can take the gamble and play King, but he may opt for Pritchard on the bench as a safety net if his starting No.9 is unable to continue at any stage.

However, picking a hooker on the bench will likely deny Arthur the chance to pick Smith on the bench as back-up for French if he aggravates the hamstring injury that has dogged the back-end of his season.

"I finished the game which is a positive sign. I think [I'll be right to play]," King said.

"There is a little bit of swelling. Hopefully it's just the nerve and it settles down in a couple of days and I'll be all right. I think I hit a nerve. My whole arm went dead. I wasn't sure. I was trying to get feeling back into it. It was a scary moment ... you think the worst. It's all right. I got through the game.

"I think it was the impact. It must have hit me right on the nerve in the forearm and [gave] me pins and needles. It was pretty painful straight away so you think the worst. I had to take a couple of deep breaths and try and get some feeling back."

King has had a wretched run with injuries throughout his entire career, which is why the sight of him in agony clutching his arm left many fearing the worst.

King says there were a number of occasions he contemplated pulling the pin on his NRL career.

"You go through your ups and downs and I was pretty close [to retiring] a couple of times," he said.

"That's me as a person. I refused to give up and I've hung in there."

It appears his perseverance and dedication will be rewarded with King set to sign a one-year contract extension with the blue and gold.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...nty-around-key-positions-20170910-gyebs8.html

strider

Post Whore
I think he needs to take a good look in the mirror .... seems to get more excitement from a penruff victory

strider

Post Whore
Smith played very well

But if we expect Bevo back at any stage this year he has to make an appearance before the GF.

I wonder if BA would play Smith on the bench (and only 3 forwards) as cover for both King and French

Latest posts