What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Semi Final week 2 Vs Brisbane

Panther Mick

Juniors
On to week 2. A big ask going to Qld but not impossible. Brisbane have been wonky the past 6 weeks of the comp and a good team can knock them out.

OldPanther

Coach
I'm not freaked out about this game but it will be tough up there. If they win it I'll say we've had a successful season.

betcats

Referee
Correct me if I am wrong but I think the only time a Griffin coached side has lost to a Bennett coached side was our loss earlier this season?

Its probably a coincidence but i'll take a little confidence out of it.

Brisbane's forward pack is average, if our forwards can match it with them we should win, that being said Brisbane is not a team we can gift possession and field position, especially at suncorp.

OldPanther

Coach
Correct me if I am wrong but I think the only time a Griffin coached side has lost to a Bennett coached side was our loss earlier this season?

Its probably a coincidence but i'll take a little confidence out of it.

Brisbane's forward pack is average, if our forwards can match it with them we should win, that being said Brisbane is not a team we can gift possession and field position, especially at suncorp.

Definitely not. We'll have to be disciplined. In Brisbane after a loss won't be an easy game. Really hope Moylan is named. I'm looking forward to it.

TheFrog

Coach
Brisbane have never beaten us in a finals match, either. Kevvie Walters will remember the 1990 match at the SFS, when Brad Izzard shat on him from a great height. The 2003 match was memorable for the Broncos leading 18-2 with a gale at their back in the first half, only to concede 26 unanswered points (even though the wind died down considerably). The Panthers appeared to put the cue in the rack in the last 20 minutes or so.

OldPanther

Coach
http://m.nrl.com/beaten-broncos-feel-wrath-of-wayne/tabid/10874/newsid/112014/default.aspx

A vocal Wayne Bennett has demanded his players lift their intensity at training in order to find the energy required to progress in the finals series with their season to go on the line against the Panthers at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

After a weekend to reflect on their 24-22 qualifying final loss to the Roosters last Friday the Broncos were put through an arduous one-hour field session designed to rectify the frailties that have been exposed early in recent games.

Both Darius Boyd and Tevita Pangai Jnr failed to train with the main squad but are a chance to line up against Penrith with Kodi Nikorima spending the majority of the session in the fullback position.
Once the shrieks of laughter had died down from a couple of warm-up drills that resembled volleyball and tunnel ball, an animated Bennett went to work on repairing a defence that has twice in the past three weeks leaked more points early in games than they have been able to chase down.

In Round 25 the Eels stunned Brisbane to lead 24-0 after just 20 minutes and again against the Roosters the Broncos were slow out of the blocks, falling behind by 14 points one quarter of the way through the contest.

It's a worrying trend at the wrong time of the year and back-rower Matt Gillett knows they must find a remedy to their flagging energy levels in the coming days.

"Wayne was pretty hard on us this morning and I think that was a good thing to get us back into gear for what's head with Penrith," Gillett said.

"It was pretty intense and pretty physical as well, getting bodies in front. We had a lot of energy this morning and we'll work through that the whole week.

"You play the way you train so if we're going to train like that all week and come out on Friday night we know we've done that job here, it's just a matter of doing it at Suncorp for 80 minutes and getting that result."
‌Rather than an angry NRL coach winger Jordan Kahu said Bennett most resembled a disappointed parent after the loss to the Roosters, describing his disappointment in his players as "up there" with anything Kahu has witnessed the past three years.

"You know when you get told off when you're younger and your parents always say, 'I'm not angry, but I'm disappointed' and it hurts a bit more? It was that kind of moment," Kahu said of Bennett's post-game demeanour.

"Obviously we didn't defend our best on the weekend and it starts here at training so that's probably why we did a bit today.

"It's finals time so he's probably wanting to get the best out of us. We didn't perform on the weekend when it counted so he's obviously just trying to get the best out of us.

"It was more of an energy kind of thing. We didn't play finals footy how we should have. We went down to Sydney to play a Sydney Roosters team that had been playing really well and we just didn't get up for the occasion."

Although the Panthers didn't score a point against Manly until the 34th minute last weekend and have made a habit of finishing over the top of teams this season, Gillett knows the importance of meeting their high-octane attack and risk another insurmountable lead.

"Energy is a word that does come to mind when you do play Penrith and they do that through their big boys through the middle and exciting backs as well," Gillett said.

"They're a very high energy side and the first 20 when we played the Roosters is something like what they're going to bring as well.

"We weren't up to the mark that first 20, we were pretty slow to start the game. We were lucky enough to come back and get in front for a bit but it comes back down to that start. We gave 14 points away which is pretty hard to do in such a big game.

"We've got to control that first 20 against Penrith.

"It's easier to talk about but going out there and doing it is another thing.

"Energy is a big thing and for us against sides that have shown a lot more energy it was hard to come back from.

"Individually you can try and turn things and show that bit of line speed and try and hit someone or run a bit harder but it comes down to showing that energy together.

"If you're doing that it's a pretty easy thing to change but you can't be doing it individually. You've got to go as one and hopefully the boys find something that shows that bit of energy and everyone jumps on board."

The clash with the Broncos will be a homecoming of sorts for Penrith coach Anthony Griffin and hooker Peter Wallace. Both were given their marching orders from Red Hill, but can exact revenge by ending Brisbane's premiership campaign.

Mansour expected Griffin's sacking would provide the coach with extra motivation this week.

"One hundred per cent, without a doubt knowing Hook," Mansour said.

"He will definitely be fired up. There will be steam coming out of his ears.

Panthers forward Trent Merrin added: "He will definitely want to win up there but we all do. I think it goes a bit beyond where people have come and their journey."
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...lk-up-matt-moylan-return-20170910-gyeh6n.html

Kilkenny

Coach
I don't think Griffin would harbour any grudges. Coaches getting the axe is an occupational hazard. I'm sure at some stage he will get the axe from us.

On the game we've nothing to lose really. We are underdogs just need to play at our best and give a good account of ourselves.

GongPanther

Referee
Brisbane have never beaten us in a finals match, either. Kevvie Walters will remember the 1990 match at the SFS, when Brad Izzard shat on him from a great height. The 2003 match was memorable for the Broncos leading 18-2 with a gale at their back in the first half, only to concede 26 unanswered points (even though the wind died down considerably). The Panthers appeared to put the cue in the rack in the last 20 minutes or so.

Was at the 1990 match.Hardly remember anything of it.I think it's in that Panther DVD set so I'll have a look.

And remember everyone,the Panthers U 20's game is on Fox 2 Friday at 5:00 p.m.The reserve grade match between the Panthers and Dogs is on Sunday live on Fox 2 at 3:00 p.m.

GongPanther

Referee
We are battled hardened team.After dealing with a great Manly side from the previous week,and having those two losses,we were able to reasess our situation and it seems like we have focused on what we need to do to keep the drive going.

After the weekend's match,we shouldn't have no fear,bar the fear of beating ourselves before we get on the field.

We have now in our arsenal,the neucleus of a couple of outstanding under 20's sides that are now starting to show the world what they can achive.

With the injured coming back,and the past injued players who are playing themselves back into form,everything is jelling perfectly together at the right time.

The Cherry (lol!) on top would be if Moylan is available.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
We are battled hardened team.After dealing with a great Manly side from the previous week,and having those two losses,we were able to re-asses our situation and it seems like we have focused on what we need to do to keep the drive going.

After the weekend's match,we shouldn't have no fear,bar the fear of beating ourselves before we get on the field.

We have now in our arsenal,the neucleus of a couple of outstanding under 20's sides that are now starting to show the world what they can achive.

With the injured coming back,and the past injued players who are playing themselves back into form,everything is jelling perfectly together at the right time.

The Cherry (lol!) on top would be if Moylan is available.

Absolutely. If they have the attitude they can really take it to Brisbane next week. We only have to fear beating ourselves.

Kilkenny

Coach
To win this game will surely have to be our best performance of the year. Anything less than our best will most likely not be good enough. That's the equation.

GongPanther

Referee
Absolutely. If they have the attitude they can really take it to Brisbane next week. We only have to fear beating ourselves.
That is the thing about youth.They haven't experienced anything really bad in the game,so their fears are limited.

Someone asked me a month or so,why are those Penrth kids going so well? I simply said to him four things.
Fearlessness,discipline,determination and the strong bond that binds these bright players all together.And adding the experience of the older,more seasoned players,you have that balance of youth and experience.
He thought I had something to do with the club.I said no,not at all...I've been watching these footballers for a long time now.You develop an understanding when you've been watching a bunch of footballers grow up together,even if it's on TV. And I'm sure most in here have that feeling.

TheFrog

Coach
Was at the 1990 match.
Me too. What I remember most is Fittler making a clean break and instead of pinning his ears back running a 360 degree circle waiting for a support and bombing it. Freddy wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer early on.

TheFrog

Coach
Was at the 1990 match.
Just watching this match now. The two main things I notice, firstly the Queensland commentators are horrendously biased (the Rex Mossop call would have been preferable) and secondly Wally Lewis has not changed a bit in 27 years. Even then, he could talk for a minute solid without actually saying a thing. I've no idea how he has managed to sustain a career in media all this time.

Dodgy

Juniors
I'm from Melbourne. The only game I go to is when the Panthers come down here. On the train home ( with carriage full of storm fans) after the loss earlier this season, I had a feeling that maybe it wouldn't necessarily be the only game I'd see this year.

I'm confident of a win.

maple_69

Bench
This'll be an interesting game. Both teams being called slow starters. We have scored 26 tries and conceded 4 in the final 20 mins since we were 2-7. If we can start ok (Raiders game attitude) and grind away, we are a great chance.

My biggest concern is our often ragged defence around the middle. They can really stack on the points if we are loose and we don't have it in us to come back from a decent deficit against an organised defence.