What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QRL Intrust Super Cup - Finals 2017

mikail-eagle

Bench
The Hunters V Dolphins game today was fast, ferocious with very brutal defence.

Tries were very hard to come by and it was only the brilliance of Hunters Captain Ase Boas who scored and converted the games only try.

The Dolphins points came from 2 penalty kicks.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I thought I had a long wait to see a Wynnum Premiership. It took from when I started going to games when I was 7 until my 25th birthday in 1982. Gee, that's only 18 years - must seem like minutes to an Easts supporter.

Wynnum also didn't suffer multiple Grand Final losses in the interim either.

Desert, I can see your frustration.

Seven GF losses, and countless strong seasons with ignominious finals exits such as today.

The club clearly does a lot of good things, they are professional from the ground up. But come finals times they just don't seem to have that killer instinct/mental toughness to see it through to the end.

I only observe from a great distance these days, but I think the last 26 years is weighing very heavily on Eastern Suburbs. And they don't handle it well.

Brutus

Referee
Tigers needs more Max Sahl, Errol Slingsby, and Mark McDonald.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Seriously though, I think we might have our first Suncorp Stadium 10k plus QLD Cup (not BRL) Grand Final crowd on our hands. Would I be correct in saying that the last 10k plus GF crowd at the ground was the 1995 Easts and Wynnum BRL GF?

PNG making it is huge. A PNG v Redcliffe final would be over 12k I reckon. Needs to be promoted by the QRL like never before. Who knows maybe 15k if they really try.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
DJWR7y2V4AA4Pj-.jpg:large

2:30pm on 9 in Queensland for that Prelim.

GF will be huge with PNG involved.

expansionist

Juniors
Well.. I was at a conference, and managed to sneak out to catch the last 10 minutes of the Tigers game.

So depressing..

I am OS now until the day before the Grand Final - so I filled out a form left it with the QRL for a corporate suite IF Easts made the GF in my absence.

As it stands looks like its grand stand seats only..

Now this may sound super criticial - and I didnt see the first 70 minutes - and they were probably exhausted - but i thought the Easts attack in the last 10 minutes was directionless. Looked really poor. that amount of sets should have brouight more points, and yes the Sunny Coast defence was good but the attack was poor.

Im not a fan of Billy Walters at 5/8th.

I am also so disappointed that Guy Hamilton left Easts - he has that kind of spark that Easts need and absolutely dont have, They relied way too much on Linc Port.

Seriously though, I think we might have our first Suncorp Stadium 10k plus QLD Cup (not BRL) Grand Final crowd on our hands. Would I be correct in saying that the last 10k plus GF crowd at the ground was the 1995 Easts and Wynnum BRL GF?

PNG making it is huge. A PNG v Redcliffe final would be over 12k I reckon. Needs to be promoted by the QRL like never before. Who knows maybe 15k if they really try.

The crowd for the Redcliffe/Ipswich gf in 2002 at Dolphin Oval was stated at 10000 but I'd argue it was about 8000-9000. It was the best crowd out of the 3 they held at the ground but not full enough to be that big.

The Wynnum/Reddy 2012 gf got 9682 and thats been the biggest since the Qld Cup started.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
It will be a bit sad if the Major Semi crowd ends up much bigger than the Grand Final one. Reportedly 15,000 at the National Football Stadium yesterday.

Brutus

Referee
The crowd for the Redcliffe/Ipswich gf in 2002 at Dolphin Oval was stated at 10000 but I'd argue it was about 8000-9000. It was the best crowd out of the 3 they held at the ground but not full enough to be that big.

The Wynnum/Reddy 2012 gf got 9682 and thats been the biggest since the Qld Cup started.

Still yet to get a 10k plus crowd for an QLD Cup Final at Suncorp. This could be the year. For sure if it's PNG v Reddy. PNG fans will be out in force.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
PNG Newspaper - start of an article on the game :

Boas shows class
September 11, 2017The NationalSports
Article Views: 446

By ISAAC LIRI
PAPUA New Guinea Hunters created history by qualifying for their first Q-Cup grand final in front of more than 15,000 fans at the National Football Stadium yesterday.
Michael Marum’s men earned a hard-fought 6-4 win over the Redcliffe Dolphins in the major semifinal with captain Ase Boas, pictured, scoring all his side’s points.

Artful Dodger

Juniors
Well.. I was at a conference, and managed to sneak out to catch the last 10 minutes of the Tigers game.

So depressing..

I am OS now until the day before the Grand Final - so I filled out a form left it with the QRL for a corporate suite IF Easts made the GF in my absence.

As it stands looks like its grand stand seats only..

Now this may sound super criticial - and I didnt see the first 70 minutes - and they were probably exhausted - but i thought the Easts attack in the last 10 minutes was directionless. Looked really poor. that amount of sets should have brouight more points, and yes the Sunny Coast defence was good but the attack was poor.

Im not a fan of Billy Walters at 5/8th.

I am also so disappointed that Guy Hamilton left Easts - he has that kind of spark that Easts need and absolutely dont have, They relied way too much on Linc Port.

Walters & Foster had their worst game of the year.

Put it simply, Walters stand up in the big game situations.

Stewbum

Juniors
I had a $150 freebet on the Scum and a $65 freebet on the Mighty Dolphins.

Redcliffe to not give away a 28 point start this weekend and thus win comfortably. I do worry about the kid with the bad haircut though. He's an impressive player.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
PNG Newspaper - start of an article on the game :

Boas shows class
September 11, 2017The NationalSports
Article Views: 446

By ISAAC LIRI
PAPUA New Guinea Hunters created history by qualifying for their first Q-Cup grand final in front of more than 15,000 fans at the National Football Stadium yesterday.
Michael Marum’s men earned a hard-fought 6-4 win over the Redcliffe Dolphins in the major semifinal with captain Ase Boas, pictured, scoring all his side’s points.

Cheers.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Still yet to get a 10k plus crowd for an QLD Cup Final at Suncorp. This could be the year. For sure if it's PNG v Reddy. PNG fans will be out in force.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...r/news-story/26ec8ffd785212305ca69de6e906b813

Fans set to flock to Grand Final

PAPUA New Guinea could help attract the biggest Intrust Super Cup grand final crowd, according to the Queensland Rugby League after ticket sales doubled in support of the Hunters.

Michael Marum’s side became the first team to qualify for this year’s premiership match on Sunday, after they beat Redcliffe 6-4 on their home turf in Port Moresby.

With one of the biggest fan bases in the competition, Hunters fans bolstered ticket sales overnight for the Queensland Rugby League.

Following the game last Sunday, 1000 tickets were snapped up for the grand final at Suncorp Stadium on Sept 24.

More than 2000 tickets have been sold for the match and, with close to 20,000 Papua New Guineans living in Queensland plus hundreds willing to travel, the QRL is expecting many more seats to go.

The QRL’s head of football, Neil Wharton, said it was hopeful of achieving a crowd of more than 10,000, which would be one of the competition’s biggest grand final attendances.

“If the PNG community decides to turn up en masse, it could push us over the 10,000 mark,” Wharton said.

“It’s enormous for the country. It does a lot for the game in PNG.”

Last year, just under 7000 people watched the Burleigh Bears claim the premiership, while 8000 were in attendance in 2015 when the Ipswich Jets won the title.

Wharton also said there were early indications yesterday that the Hunters were looking at ways to assist corporate partners and fans who wanted to travel to Queensland for the match.

PNG National carrier Air Niugini has already put out packages for flying over and accommodation with a surge in sales for airline tickets expected over the next few days.
The QRL has invited PNG Prime Minister Peter O’Neill and it is understood he is keen to attend.

Kumuls legend David Mead, will also throw his support behind his birth nation.
He said the Hunters making their first grand final was a “huge achievement” for the entire nation.
“I’ll definitely be supporting them and hopefully they can get across and it boosts the nation’s morale,” Mead said. “It’s going to mean everything to them. Rugby league is the national sport, it’s a religion there. Everyone’s very passionate and excited about it.

“Not only are the Hunters making the grand final big for the country but to have three World Cup games later on in the year, it’s exciting times for PNG, that’s for sure.”
Redcliffe and Sunshine Coast play on Sunday to determine who will meet the Hunters in the grand final. – Courier Mail

paulmac

Juniors
I hope channel 9 film on the opposite side the fans are on.Past few years has looked horrible with the fans on the broadcast side,giving the impression no one is there.
Redcliffe-PNG should draw 12-13k IMO.That figure would drop substantially if Sunny Coast make it.

Latest posts