What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Virtual NRL

Pigskin

Juniors
seems as if VNRL will be significantly scaled down for 2005

must be some chance it won't get off the ground at all after reading the proposed changes

in fact, having seen the list of proposed changes, not sure what is left would do the concept any justice at all

Oink !

simon says

First Grade
Well come on Piggy,what are these changes about???I hope this is a furfey as I loved it last year and Im psyched for more....

Please explain.

spacemanspiff

Juniors
No Live draft anymore

Forwards tries are potentially going to get the axe along with Trades.
Saw it posted in another forum by the guy who runs it- Will see if I can find it.

It'd be a shame to see the draft go, and not having Forward tries will de-value the impact that forwards have on a game. I certainly won't be complaining though - it's a big ask for one guy to run the whole show and I aplaud the work he's done to this point.
:clap:

Raider_69

Post Whore
Live Draft was awesome!!!
I scored some awesome deals out of it, got duded as awell but thats all part of the excitement...

simon says

First Grade
Greenblooded said:
Why don't they use the stats from the NRL website for the forward tries?

Thats what I thought,make it a whole lot easier...and any complaints ring up the NRL...ya gotta have forward tries.

skeepe

Immortal
simon says said:
Greenblooded said:

Thats what I thought,make it a whole lot easier...and any complaints ring up the NRL...ya gotta have forward tries.

Because the NRL found out they were doing it in 2003 and told them that if they wanted to continue, they had to buy a subscription to NRLStats or they would be sued. That was my understanding in any case.

Ghoulies

Bench
skeepe said:
simon says said:
Greenblooded said:

Because the NRL found out they were doing it in 2003 and told them that if they wanted to continue, they had to buy a subscription to NRLStats or they would be sued. That was my understanding in any case.

Which supposedly was going to cost them.

borat

Bench
Ghoulies said:
skeepe said:
simon says said:
Greenblooded said:

Which supposedly was going to cost them.

But there is some conjecture about that. I mean to buy the rights to use the stats from NRLstats but nobody can copyright how many tackles lance Thompson makes in a game. They can copyright the table and format in which it is produced but the figures, I don't think so. It was so evident when you would see on NRL.com that someone had made 50+ tackles yet didn't get a forward try.

Mzilikazi

Juniors
You'd think the NRL would let them use it seeing as it attracts so much interest to the game.

Fairly small minded really, but then, what did we expect?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Whats to stop them from using it anyways. The Publish their stats, as said they can copyright the table and formal but not the figures

borat

Bench
Mzilikazi said:
You'd think the NRL would let them use it seeing as it attracts so much interest to the game.

Fairly small minded really, but then, what did we expect?

Because they sell those stats to newpapers, websites, magazines, websites & league teams etc.

If you search NRLstats you will see all of these websites that credit NRLstats and they are all paying for it.

Their website is http://www.nrlstats.com. Its a joint venture between the NRL and a company called sports data which has a nasty indepth legal page on its website http://www.sportsdata.com.au/sportsdatalegal.htm which basically says that even posting on LU stats obtained from NRL.com breaks copyright.

Interesting and I can't blame the not for profit VNRL for wanting to stay out of it.

borat

Bench
Actually I have exagerated here. What you can't do is reproduce the stats for commercial gain and as VNRL has sponsors I guess that excludes them. IMO There is nothing wrong in quoting stats here in LU, although don't quote me on that :D