What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JOEL THOMPSON TO MANLY?

John moz

Juniors
I am over letting go of experience players smith scott and co history repeated .Please why sign graham older than thompson.

Drag Queen

Bench
There is more to this.

Millward has always suggested that we have money to spend. We're only paying half of Graham's contract so it's not like his arrival is forcing Thompson out.
Thommo also seems oblivious to all of this (probably playing dumb), so I highly doubt it's because he wants more money, he bleeds red and white.
I think the club must have a plan. They're targeting someone and probably have to shed a player or players to bring them in. They must feel that with Host, Leilua and Sims to cover that left second row spot then shedding Thommo won't have too much of an impact. I tend to agree as well, that game against Manly that Host played at second row in lieu of Thommo was immense. He had a much stronger impact. Further to that, every game Sims has played at second row he's been one of our best.

Don't get me wrong I'll be gutted if Thommo leaves us, but if he really does want more money at this stage of his career, then let him fly. We're covered in that position... And if it's to bring in someone like Koroibete/Crichton/Rona then I won't be too upset.
All speculation. Very much doubt we would get Crichton or Koroibete. Rona might jump ship though for the right $$.

red rocket

Juniors
I am over letting go of experience players smith scott and co history repeated .Please why sign graham older than thompson.
What a bloody day wake up to hear thommo might be gone our young ones get beat done me arse on the punt been drinking all day and feel as full as a fat ladies undies probably won't get fed tonight and a quick roll in the hay is a hundred to one. Go the cowboys

Dragon Revival

Juniors
My recollection is that Millward said that we had 4 of the 30 man roster to fill. Since then we have signed Graham and Latimore. Millward also said we are looking for a centre/winger and a half-back which totals 30. However if we lose Thompson we will be looking for another forward which means thst there could be three vacancies at the moment being a half, centre/winger and a forward.

Drag Queen

Bench
My recollection is that Millward said that we had 4 of the 30 man roster to fill. Since then we have signed Graham and Latimore. Millward also said we are looking for a centre/winger and a half-back which totals 30. However if we lose Thompson we will be looking for another forward which means thst there could be three vacancies at the moment being a half, centre/winger and a forward.
What about a fullback? We're in serious trouble without one. Atm we have a lesser version of Quinlan which has me worried. And before all the lovers of this guy playing FB, step back. We need someone bigger and and stronger in defence.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Here is the brutal truth to all of this in my eyes...

As far as i'm concerned, Host will be a much better player on that left edge. In fact, Sims is already better than Thompson on that left side but McGregor insists on playing him in the middle.
The biggest issue I have with Thompson leaving is his leadership and his role-model stature. The players seem to love him and his loss would certainly leave a hole in the soul/morale of the club. But as far as player quality is concerned, i'm comfortable with Host/Sims/Leilua covering that position. If he wants more money, good luck to him and thank you for your service.
Whilst I do agree TRVR that Host is likely to become a very good 1st grader and Some of the others mentioned as well, I just don't see the need to thrust them into 1sts next season fulltime just yet. I fully expected him to get more game time this season, but alas, it doesn't seem to be a priority for Mary. Releasing Thompson just seems strange and could leave us thin in the back row and the pack in general. Making him see out 2018 gives the time To continue to develop the young guys and also after the significant investment in a halfback, is a lessor risk to that of expecting the young guys to perform straight up. And even if we played Sims in the back row, that still leaves us skinny on the bench. I just don't see the logic in this move unless there is a significant signing in the pipeline.

Frank Facer

First Grade
"Over the next few years" Geez Frank I might be dead by then. Bar 3-4 players whom I rate, we have a coach that is inept, clueless. Our roster is pretty bloody ordinary. Hoping the NYC come through today but we do not have any Clearys, Croft or Mitchell's coming through atm. None of our youngsters are shining, but I'd put that simply down to the coaching/ or lack of, that they are receiving.
We have got Lomax coming through. He looks a definite.

We also have Host and Leilua coming through, hopefully one of them steps up next year and makes Thompson's spot their own.

We have just blooded Dufty this year. He looks like a very exciting prospect.

We also have Field coming through, but he will have to be good to take Dufty position or push Widdop out in the next few years.

We have Marsters who I think is only 17. He has big wraps on him. He has a build that I think will be able to handle first grade in the next couple of years. He has played fullback and wing for the 20's this year. He could even develop into a centre in the future.

Then there is Herbert, Garrick and Johns. I hope that at least one of them can develop into a first grade player.

We have more promising youngsters, than we have had for a very long time.

That was without mentioning Lawrie and Kerr too.

Most teams that win comps have 2 or 3 youngsters in their team who are in their first or second year of first grade.

BrissyRedV

Bench

We also have Host and Leilua coming through, hopefully one of them steps up next year and makes Thompson's spot their own.

We also have Field coming through, but he will have to be good to take Dufty position or push Widdop out in the next few years.

We have Marsters who I think is only 17. He has big wraps on him. He has a build that I think will be able to handle first grade in the next couple of years. He has played fullback and wing for the 20's this year. He could even develop into a centre in the future.

Then there is Herbert, Garrick and Johns. I hope that at least one of them can develop into a first grade player.

Most teams that win comps have 2 or 3 youngsters in their team who are in their first or second year of first grade.
Add to these guys Tristan Sailor and young Willis both of whom look like good prospects as well. There is no doubt we have some promising young juniors coming through, it is just whether it is too early for us to be releasing experienced players for one of them to fill the spots. Its not like they will get the best tutelage from the 1st grade coach.

I won't call you Drag Queen as that would be an insult to Drag Queens/

Yes I am serious and yes you have an unhealthy obsession with Matt its actually a tad creepy.

Since i doubt you would know a footballer is you tripped over one I will forgive for you ignorance.

Drag Queen

Bench
I won't call you Drag Queen as that would be an insult to Drag Queens/

Yes I am serious and yes you have an unhealthy obsession with Matt its actually a tad creepy.

Since i doubt you would know a footballer is you tripped over one I will forgive for you ignorance.
Hardly ignorant. If you have faith that this kid will deliver the goods, you are delusional. Compare him to any other FB in the comp. I doubt he will keep that position for long. Writing is already on the wall.

DUB888

Juniors
There has to be more to thiin the media this week story and I suspect it has something to do with a new coach wanting to bring a player with him. Only my opinion but this action by Millward does not make sense unless there is a significant recruitment in the pipe line.
When this story came out I was thinking the same. Josh Jackson was vocal in the media this week that Hasler did not deserve to be sacked. Hhhmmmmmm...........

Drag Queen

Bench

Fair call.

Frank Facer

First Grade
"Over the next few years" Geez Frank I might be dead by then. Bar 3-4 players whom I rate, we have a coach that is inept, clueless. Our roster is pretty bloody ordinary. Hoping the NYC come through today but we do not have any Clearys, Croft or Mitchell's coming through atm. None of our youngsters are shining, but I'd put that simply down to the coaching/ or lack of, that they are receiving.
I also should have added that we now have one of the best packs in the comp. We have shed the Soft tag. We will have one of the top pairs of halves in the comp next year. That will provide the right circumstances to blood those juniors that I mentioned in my previous post.

I think we have our best roster that we have had in many years and we have an abundance of promising juniors coming through. Hopefully we can sign Koroibete

What a bloody day wake up to hear thommo might be gone our young ones get beat done me arse on the punt been drinking all day and feel as full as a fat ladies undies probably won't get fed tonight and a quick roll in the hay is a hundred to one. Go the cowboys

Well mate, the Cowboys got up so that's one.
How did u go with the feed and the shag :flushed:

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
That is a very good question Brissy why would they release him if they don't intend to replace him with some one of equal experience and Value.

Something doesn't quite add up in all this I don't see the club under any cap pressure as they have let a stack load of players go.

Grham is getting paid half his value from the Dogs and Hunt isn't on as much as being reported.

Latimore would be on bugger all and the other two guys the club is looking at may not even be starting first graders.

Maybe something is in play we don't know about.

Something doesn't add up = we are the new North Sydney. We will be extinct soon enough.

Any top team would keep thommo and bring through the juniors everyone is clutching to for dim hope and sign the other star.

That is what the top clubs do and everyone wants to play for a top club.

Look farther afield if you don't believe me - New England Patriots, Seattle Seahawks, Manchester United, NYY, Saints in the glory days.

I laugh when people tell me times have changed - clubs still do today what we did in the 60's - they play around the rules and ensure success within the frameworks of today.

We don't have cash anymore and we don't have facer and co (real leaders with brains).

Any company with no cash and no leaders will always fail - unless someone saves them - welcome to life.