What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 home game allocation

TIGER14

Bench
Wests Tigers have today confirmed the club’s home game allocation for the 2018 season.

In 2018 the club will play four games at ANZ Stadium as per a long term contract that has been in place for the past four years, three at both Campbelltown Sports Stadium and Leichhardt Oval, and a further two to be taken to alternate locations outside of Sydney as part of exciting new initiatives developed in conjunction with the NRL.

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe said that the club was pleased to have been able to work with the NRL in such a collaborative way on these initiatives that allows the club to play in front of its traditional base of supporters and to identify new supporters.

"We’re really pleased to be working with the NRL to develop the game of Rugby League across multiple locations,” he said. “Given the NRL now has more control of scheduling, it has been able to work more closely with clubs in developing these great whole of game initiatives - it is a compliment to our club that they chose to work with us.”

Wests Tigers remain committed to its suburban grounds and are working with both Campbelltown City Council and Inner West Council to put in place multi-year agreements to play games at the venues. The agreements would be the first time in the joint venture’s history that Wests Tigers and the local councils have signed a multi year commitment.

The agreements would see Wests Tigers play a minimum of three games a year at each venue with Campbelltown Sports Stadium and Leichhardt Oval both having an important place in the past, and future, of the club.

Justin Pascoe said that the club was committed to its traditional base and the push for a multi year term supports that commitment.

“Our suburban grounds are incredibly important to the history of this club and we look forward to playing a minimum of six games across Campbelltown Sports Stadium and Leichhardt Oval in 2018,” he said. “We’re also working hard behind the scenes to put in place long term agreements to play games at both venues.

“The decision to take two games to new locations was made after much deliberation. These decisions are never made lightly, however we believe it's the right decision for the game, our Members and fans and our football department, and provides absolute balance, inclusive of our existing contractual commitments,” said Pascoe.

The two home games that will be played outside of Sydney are aimed at growing both the club’s and game’s supporter base through some initiatives. Details of where these home games will be played will be released in the coming weeks.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2017/09/26/wests_tigers_confirm.html

Clifferd

Coach
Meh

It's the best we can do really until the new Parra stadium is up and running. It's gonna be hard to sell ticketed memberships though which is understandable for fans

Vic Mackey

Referee
To me it gives the impression we're going to be taking games to the bush but who knows. I'm pretty disappointed with that. 1 game I would cop but 2s a bit much.

Next year we'll have 5 home grounds

Campbo, let me guess?

Newy, Cowboys, Titans...or possibly Penrith.

With only 3 games I don't hold out much hope of a Sydney team playing there and I reckon Leichhardt may get 1 Sydney team.

If there is a club that knows how to alienate a fan-base, it's this one. The only thing that can save this set-up is if the team starts winning early and keeps winning.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Campbo, let me guess?

Newy, Cowboys, Titans...or possibly Penrith.

With only 3 games I don't hold out much hope of a Sydney team playing there and I reckon Leichhardt may get 1 Sydney team.

If there is a club that knows how to alienate a fan-base, it's this one. The only thing that can save this set-up is if the team starts winning early and keeps winning.

Yeah tends to be the same teams at the suburban grounds every year which makes it even more under whelming.

Melbourne/manly at leichhardt

Titans/Newcastle/Penrith at campbelltown

I've never understood why manly always play at LO. As a Balmain fan I never felt a big rivalry with the Eagles whilst the Silvertail/Fibro was always a thing. Easy marketing game too

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Yeah tends to be the same teams at the suburban grounds every year which makes it even more under whelming.

Melbourne/manly at leichhardt

Titans/Newcastle/Penrith at campbelltown

I've never understood why manly always play at LO. As a Balmain fan I never felt a big rivalry with the Eagles whilst the Silvertail/Fibro was always a thing. Easy marketing game too
Also a good idea to make the Manly scum travel as far as possible.

magpie_man

Juniors
To me it gives the impression we're going to be taking games to the bush but who knows. I'm pretty disappointed with that. 1 game I would cop but 2s a bit much.

Next year we'll have 5 home grounds

I don't see why a JV Club which services two important regions of Sydney (Inner West and MacArthur) should have to take any games on the road.
Leave that to clubs like Manly and Easts whose supporters wouldn't miss a home fixture anyway.

BuffaloRules

Coach
It's also good to have a proper home field advantage from time to time..

I'm sure opposition don't appreciate playing at LO or Campbo...

I hope they aren't moving the Warriors game to NZ again..

Shredder

Juniors
I know this isn't going to be popular, but I reckon we should ditch both Cambo and Leichhardt.

We seem to have one foot in the "we are a new club" (since merger) camp and the other in "keep the history" camp. To me its one or the other and given the crap that has gone on, lets just move on.

Additionally, we get $100,000 a game from ANZ stadium, Why on earth wouldn't we play all our home games there?

In a perfect world Concord Oval would have decent parking facilities and we could park it there.

We are playing at five grounds, don't play ANY games at the ground that we train at and increasingly we don't have as many local juniors coming through that would create an advantage for playing at the suburban parks.

If we played all of our home games at ANZ, that would be more than another million dollars that the club could spend on maintaining the local comps and grass roots supporters.

I know this isn't going to be popular, but I reckon we should ditch both Cambo and Leichhardt.

We seem to have one foot in the "we are a new club" (since merger) camp and the other in "keep the history" camp. To me its one or the other and given the crap that has gone on, lets just move on.

Additionally, we get $100,000 a game from ANZ stadium, Why on earth wouldn't we play all our home games there?

In a perfect world Concord Oval would have decent parking facilities and we could park it there.

We are playing at five grounds, don't play ANY games at the ground that we train at and increasingly we don't have as many local juniors coming through that would create an advantage for playing at the suburban parks.

If we played all of our home games at ANZ, that would be more than another million dollars that the club could spend on maintaining the local comps and grass roots supporters.

If we're really looking for cash, we should be playing all bar two games at ANZ. LO should get Souths, CSS should get Manly. ANZ is a shithole but if we're playing over 80% of our games there and we're winning we should be able to catch most of the fan base as we seem to be a pretty fairly well spread supporter base.

Long term I'd love to see us play out of Fairfield full time with 2 games at LO (Souths and Easts.)

BrotherJim05

Bench

I agree and disagree with this.

I agree we need to ditch our "grass roots". Clinging onto the old Wests/Balmain traditions is only going to remind us how close we became to simply being a failed joint venture. For so long our club was ham-stringed by board infighting, a lot of which was fuelled by this Wests vs Balmain business. I'm actually all for changing our name and mascot completely. I was never a Balmain or Wests supporter so personally I don't give a shit.

However I disagree with playing at ANZ. ANZ stadium is possibly one of the shittest stadiums to watch sport I have ever experienced. It is not built for rugby league and it sucks the soul out of the match. Unless you are sitting in a box seat it is far better watching on TV. At least LO/CS have atmostphere.

simmo1

First Grade
Should be looking to play a majority of games at Campbelltown with any big crowd pullers like Easter Monday at ANZ (or new Parra stadium when built). Play the heritage round game at Leichhardt.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Complete and utter alienation of the fans. Campbelltown loses more games and is just an ornament by the railway these days. The reason it's losing games is because Balmain aligned board members won't allow it to host more than that inner city dump at Lilyfield.

4 games at ANZ would give us - Parra, Dogs, Souths & ??? (Dragons cancelled their deal).

CSS will likely get the Raiders, Storm & Broncos

LO will likely get Penrith, Roosters and Titans

That leaves 'home' games against the Warriors (Christchurch) and idk, Cronulla, in Perth.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I agree and disagree with this.

I agree we need to ditch our "grass roots". Clinging onto the old Wests/Balmain traditions is only going to remind us how close we became to simply being a failed joint venture. For so long our club was ham-stringed by board infighting, a lot of which was fuelled by this Wests vs Balmain business. I'm actually all for changing our name and mascot completely. I was never a Balmain or Wests supporter so personally I don't give a shit.

However I disagree with playing at ANZ. ANZ stadium is possibly one of the shittest stadiums to watch sport I have ever experienced. It is not built for rugby league and it sucks the soul out of the match. Unless you are sitting in a box seat it is far better watching on TV. At least LO/CS have atmostphere.
I agree with this. None of our current options are great. Is there any reason why the new Parra stadium can't become our home ground? Unless the Eels have an exclusive contract then I don't see why two teams can't share a home ground. That would be a good venue and as easy to get to as any of the other places.

Tigers1986

Juniors
^ Because that's completely abandoning the Macarthur region, leaving it wide open for other teams to take advantage of. WT needs to fixup the Lilyfield dump and then the NRL might return its fixtures and thus give the 6 games to Campbelltown that it deserves

magpie_man

Juniors
I agree with this. None of our current options are great. Is there any reason why the new Parra stadium can't become our home ground? Unless the Eels have an exclusive contract then I don't see why two teams can't share a home ground. That would be a good venue and as easy to get to as any of the other places.

As good as it would be to be playing at the new Parramatta Stadium logistically, the biggest problem is the fact that it's right next door to the Parramatta Leagues Club, giving a massive free kick to one of our biggest Western Sydney rivals.
The Eels will be laughing all the way to the bank if other clubs start taking home fixtures to Parra.

Where does Wests Ashfield - the majority owners of the club, prefer to see games being played?

I think that Wests Ashfield management like games at Leichhardt the most - it is the closest ground to their club.

I wish the Liverpool stadium had been built - prefect location for us.

Going forward we have to pick a ground and stick with it.