What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final Entertainment

age.s

First Grade
I'd generally prefer sport and politics to be at arms length, but the NRL inviting an extremely popular "artist" who happens to have a very popular song about SSM ranks about 0.1 of 10 on the "making it political" scale. Abbott's & Katter are the ones who made it political.

Abbott should have campaigned on Macklemore being an offense to the great art of music but that's a different matter.

Canard

Immortal
I'd generally prefer sport and politics to be at arms length, but the NRL inviting an extremely popular "artist" who happens to have a very popular song about SSM ranks about 0.1 of 10 on the "making it political" scale. Abbott's & Katter are the ones who made it political.

Abbott should have campaigned on Macklemore being an offense to the great art of music but that's a different matter.

What amazes me is the uproar from charity shops about Mackelmore's song just isn't being covered by the mainstream media.

Red Bear

Referee
The sport and politics shouldn't mix thing is hilarious. Given pollies love being seen on grand final day, in their local teams jersey, in any reception for sports people etc. To push against it when it doesn't suit their agenda is fairly hypocritical.

Also, given the freedom of speech argument the no vote tend to use to justify some of the muddying of the waters around this plebiscite the furore over a bloke using that freedom of speech is amusing.

And it's not like the song is abusive or even antagonistic towards those who may support the 'no' cause, it's simply supportive of SSM.

I won't watch it, because I just watch from kick off (and am at a music festival anyway). But there is zero issue with this choice of artist for grand finl day (other than he isn't my personal cup of tea music wise).

Timbo

Staff member
Watching the post-game AFL concert.

Macklemore will have to do something pretty f**king special to be better than The Killers.

Macklemore seems like a genius move by the NRL now.

National and international media exposure. PM talking about it. The song going #1 on the itunes charts in Australia. The NRL appearing progressive in its choice of act and stance in SSM debate.

Meanwhile half The Killers were here with a steaming pile of shit new album, performing to an AFL audience that's had recent issues with racism and homophobia.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Problem is Same love is as boring as shit song..

If he goes Thrift shop, Downtown, Same Love, then Glorious it should be pretty good..

NRL doesn't need to sell out.

It doesn't even need a crowd.

The endless drone of Perth Red whinging about everything should suffice. Moan moan moan. TRY!!

AJB1102

First Grade
Does anyone know what time the song will finish? I'm keen to watch the GF but I don't want my son to have to play the gimp at school on Tuesday as a result.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Macklemore seems like a genius move by the NRL now.

National and international media exposure. PM talking about it. The song going #1 on the itunes charts in Australia. The NRL appearing progressive in its choice of act and stance in SSM debate.

Meanwhile half The Killers were here with a steaming pile of shit new album, performing to an AFL audience that's had recent issues with racism and homophobia.

Macklemore is an awesome idea. You're not going to attract younger people to the NRL grand final having cold chisel play.

AJB1102

First Grade
Macklemore is an awesome idea. You're not going to attract younger people to the NRL grand final having cold chisel play.

You're right. If Macklemore and Cold Chisel held a concert next door to each other at the same time you'd find more youth at Macklemore.

But does the entertainment sway anyone's decision on attending the NRL GF? I'm usually lining up for a beer or a piss when they sing so its like elevator music to me.

ed-grimley

Bench
The sport and politics shouldn't mix thing is hilarious. Given pollies love being seen on grand final day, in their local teams jersey, in any reception for sports people etc. To push against it when it doesn't suit their agenda is fairly hypocritical.

Also, given the freedom of speech argument the no vote tend to use to justify some of the muddying of the waters around this plebiscite the furore over a bloke using that freedom of speech is amusing.

And it's not like the song is abusive or even antagonistic towards those who may support the 'no' cause, it's simply supportive of SSM.

I won't watch it, because I just watch from kick off (and am at a music festival anyway). But there is zero issue with this choice of artist for grand finl day (other than he isn't my personal cup of tea music wise).
Nailed it pretty well.

Latest posts