What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL VS NRL

Crush

Coach
I don't like AFL as a sport, I find it like watching a flock of seagulls fight over a hot chip. BUT the AFL does it very very well. Yesterday I watched the game on tv and the atmosphere was incredible.

Afternoon kick off.
Great entertainment with the killers.
100k people in the ground!
NRL will be very ordinary in comparison.

730pm kick off for $$$
Entertainment an American rapper for Political reasons.
I doubt it will be a sell out, probably about 68k.

Our game is the greatest game to watch but the administration is a joke.
My brother looks after AFL and NRL for work and he reckons their is no comparison when talking about professionalism. AFL run their sport properly with the future of the game and its supporters as their number one priority.
NRL is all about $$$.

ouryear

Juniors
AFL does it far better.

Better team songs, seemingly more passion, more tribal feel, far better commentators, huge crowds all year long.

As far as the actual game...at the ground it surpasses league, but not on tv.

Yep.. AFL in a canter, and I am a league person!

silverex

Bench
Agree with the posts above.

The sad thing from a league point of view is that the NRL seems to be going backwards and can't keep up with AFL.

Crush

Coach
The NRL didn't book him for political reasons It only became political when the No campaigners and their parrots starting whinging about it.
Still. Its become a circus and the NRL has let it. Killers were great.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
No doubt AFL supporters are tribal, passionate and down right obsessive about their team. They go to a game with almost an EPL attitude us v them. Big crowds, big atmosphere.
AFL also debunks the theory of too many suburban teams as of the 18 squads 10 are from suburban Melbourne (or close enough to it).
The GF is the absolute pinnicle achievement and its promoted as such.
Their best and fairest player is selected by the umpires from the games.

Now NRL:
Supporters are passionate buf i wouldnt consider them tribal and not to confuse tribalism with hooliganism.
Small crowds, reasonable atmosphere when your team us doing well.
NRL there is/was talk about decreasing the suburban teams to create expansion.
The best and fairest player selected by mainly ex-players and commentators who have "favourites" or may even apoear regularly on their shows.

For mine is boils down to credibility v $$$ and this is where AFL wins hands down. No matter what you think of the game itself there is no doubting how effective it is run, administered and promoted. NRL just seems to enjoy meandering around expecting things to happen.

ruthless dragon

Juniors
AFL Australian Fairy League seriously.
The only reason the game is so popular in Victoria is....because there is nothing else to do.
It may well be ok live..maybe frankly the seagull on a chip sums the game up perfectly.

FlameThrower

Bench
Still. Its become a circus and the NRL has let it. Killers were great.
Sport & politics don't mix is true. Should have been rock band to rev up the crowd. A pseudo ballad about same sex love to me is wrong time wrong event. A mid afternoon sunny blue skies would have been great on TV instead it's 730pm kick off if we are lucky..throw in Ch9 Rabs, Gus, Freddy, and Joey as the 'best' from the 'home of rugby league' ..sorry need to cut to a VB or Telstra ad..

Weipa Dragon

Juniors
There is something that just works in afl. You go for over two hours and splitting the game into quarters just builds a bit more hope. League games are over quickly and I've only been to Suncorp and the Gold Coast in the last few years but the atmosphere is lame. People stare when you write off a slack player. It's so passive aggressive when the heckling starts. It's pretty dead And a ripoff. considering the NRL sold the greatest game to a television network, then bring back only suburban grounds. That's tribalism for us. Get 10000 pumping through the hills and give the outsiders no mercy. The afl had so many ex players and legends of the game yesterday. They just work

Crush

Coach
On the nrl entertainment, politics aside, why are we booking American rap musicians to play the entertainment? If I may generalise here, I would have thought that NRL is more of a Triple M listener sport than Triple J? I listen to both stations and triple M is all about Rock music and NRL. Triple J is all about alternative music and left wing politics. Yet this american rapper is played on Triple J not Triple M.
Its a mismatch IMO. Give the NRL fans what they want! Rock artists that will fire us up like the killers did the AFL.

ALSGI

Bench
On the nrl entertainment, politics aside, why are we booking American rap musicians to play the entertainment? If I may generalise here, I would have thought that NRL is more of a Triple M listener sport than Triple J? I listen to both stations and triple M is all about Rock music and NRL. Triple J is all about alternative music and left wing politics. Yet this american rapper is played on Triple J not Triple M.
Its a mismatch IMO. Give the NRL fans what they want! Rock artists that will fire us up like the killers did the AFL.
You’re spot on Crush.

But - if Dragons were playing tonight I wouldn’t care if it was Demis Roussos and Nana Mouskouri !!

Crush

Coach
You’re spot on Crush.

But - if Dragons were playing tonight I wouldn’t care if it was Demis Roussos and Nana Mouskouri !!
Yeah I don't know who those people are ALSGI. But I presume after just googling them that you are about 98 years of age?

jeffdragon

Bench
Afl does it well with parade on friday and entertainment after the game and the winning team comes back out.,but try getting a ticket for the game (corporate wankers in suits)get most of the tickets.
Richmond appreciated their fans heaps.
Nrl get shit entertainment (honestly never heard of dicklemore).
Was actually disappointed in 2010 when we won we waited ages for the players at kogarah and they only stayed for a little while.

Latest posts