What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLIF Eligibility Laws

Clarkent

Juniors
Good. Although, I think the Kiwis would have turned down Kata for the Kiwis ... although it's Kidwell, so I'm pretty sure he just pulls names out of a hat.
Yeah but the kiwis are pretty terrible at center... I wouldn't be surprised if the kiwis are a little gutted that Kata won't be available... The best the kiwis have are basically kahu, Beale, Shawn Kenny, I mean that`s pretty average... Tonga probably has better centers like Jennings, Kata, brenko Lee, Hurrell... Or Samoa with lafai, Leilua, Leutele... but luckily the kiwis have better coaches and good halves..

Matua

Bench
Yeah but the kiwis are pretty terrible at center... I wouldn't be surprised if the kiwis are a little gutted that Kata won't be available... The best the kiwis have are basically kahu, Beale, Shawn Kenny, I mean that`s pretty average... Tonga probably has better centers like Jennings, Kata, brenko Lee, Hurrell... Or Samoa with lafai, Leilua, Leutele... but luckily the kiwis have better coaches and good halves..
Actually, we have Whare (I assume he's not injured) and whoever partners him out of those ones you've listed. But likely Kidwell will pick the useless Hiku to start every match at centre.

roughyedspud

Coach
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/12...nger-jordan-pereira-puts-hand-up-for-england/

Anyone able to clear this up?

"I grew up in New Zealand but I wasn't raised by Kiwis, I was raised by an English woman and my dad is from Samoa so it is hard to pick. I don't really know what I am – I just call myself a human."

The line "raised by a English woman" is a strange phrase to say when referring to your mum...to me it reads like the English woman might be a step mum and not his maternal mum...if that's the case then he's not actually eligible for england

Last edited:

roughyedspud

Coach
Would adoption not potentially muddy the waters?

You mean the crystal clear water we have now..lol..no I don't think it does..

You have to be a blood relative of a parent/grand parent to use the heritage law..

Hey... this "English woman" may very well be his maternal mother...I just find the wording abit strange...

Pommy

Coach
You mean the crystal clear water we have now..lol..no I don't think it does..

You have to be a blood relative of a parent/grand parent to use the heritage law..

Hey... this "English woman" may very well be his maternal mother...I just find the wording abit strange...

I agree it is strange and I was just think aloud really.

Matua

Bench
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/12...nger-jordan-pereira-puts-hand-up-for-england/

Anyone able to clear this up?

The line "raised by a English woman" is a strange phrase to say when referring to your mum...to me it reads like the English woman might be a step mum and not his maternal mum...if that's the case then he's not actually eligible for england
Doesn't this sentence confirm she's his Mum and English:
was born in New Zealand to a Samoan father and English mother so he qualifies for all three nations.

Pommy

Coach
I read he played his junior league in Perth, wouldn’t he have enough time in country to qualify for the Roos also?

roughyedspud

Coach
Doesn't this sentence confirm she's his Mum and English:

No doubt she's English,the article says she emigrated to NZ when she was 20...

It's just the initial term he used when he referenced her as a English woman that raised him....sounds weird

My mum would have slapped me round the head if I just referred to her as a woman that raised me lol

It's probably something of nothing...but some Aussie journos have a habit of completely ballsing up the eligibility laws and running with stories that aren't true..

Matua

Bench
I read he played his junior league in Perth, wouldn’t he have enough time in country to qualify for the Roos also?
I don't think he played 'junior' league in the sense of when he was young but his first league club, he moved to Perth from Wellington probably around 18.

What's the qualification period for the 'residents' in a country?

roughyedspud

Coach
I don't think he played 'junior' league in the sense of when he was young but his first league club, he moved to Perth from Wellington probably around 18.

What's the qualification period for the 'residents' in a country?

5 years continuous residency immediately before playing for that country...used to be 3 years but it got upped to 5 a few years ago

That means you can't spend 5 years in a country as a child then 5 years in another country as a teen,for example, and claim residency in both..

Like I said about journos getting the eligibility laws wrong...someone told vunivalu that he was eligible for NZ cos he spent 3 years at school in auckland...the story got published,it was wrong...in fact I think that's why this thread was started lol

Matua

Bench
5 years continuous residency immediately before playing for that country...used to be 3 years but it got upped to 5 a few years ago

That means you can't spend 5 years in a country as a child then 5 years in another country as a teen,for example, and claim residency in both..
That wouldn't work though would it as the country you lived in as a child wouldn't be immediately before playing for that country? Or am I interpreting that wrong?

roughyedspud

Coach
That wouldn't work though would it as the country you lived in as a child wouldn't be immediately before playing for that country? Or am I interpreting that wrong?

Yep...I said you CAN'T...

So I move to NZ when I'm 12...then move to Australia when I'm 17 by the time I'm 22 I'll qualify for Australia via residency..I won't be eligible for NZ..I could have moved to NZ at 12month old but if I don't make my test debut for NZ before I leave for a new country I'd lose my rights to claim residency..

Konrad hurrell qualified for nz via residency while he was at the warriors..but because he never got a kiwi test cap before leaving for the Titans he lost his claim to qualify for Nz through residency..

That make sense?

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
Yep...I said you CAN'T...

So I move to NZ when I'm 12...then move to Australia when I'm 17 by the time I'm 22 I'll qualify for Australia via residency..I won't be eligible for NZ..I could have moved to NZ at 12month old but if I don't make my test debut for NZ before I leave for a new country I'd lose my rights to claim residency..

Konrad hurrell qualified for nz via residency while he was at the warriors..but because he never got a kiwi test cap before leaving for the Titans he lost his claim to qualify for Nz through residency..

That make sense?
I can't believe I read that as CAN. :oops:

Force

Juniors

Latest posts