What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC17 squads

jim_57

Staff member
They do now. One of only two teams who could break the mantra that Australia will walk this tournament and they're no chance. It actually reduces the competitiveness of the World Cup. If winning the trophy is the "competition", and ultimately it is, this reduces the chances of more teams being able to compete for it, because instead of three reasonable hopes it pretty much limits it to two.

Kind of agree with this. Having strong tier 2 nations is great, but having NZ drop back to a tier 2 nation would be horrible for the tournament. We need more teams who can win it, not less.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm gonna go out on a bit of a limb here and predict that within 10 years RLs new 2-tier eligiblity will be copied by RU. (flame away)

Shorty

Staff member
Well they've lost there best prop in Bromwich and one of there best forwards Kevin Procter and Tohu Harris... So yeah they're pretty much screwed lol
Ah I didn't realise Harris was injured, still I'd like to take a look at the Kiwis line up before making any judgements.
I think Kidwell has done the right thing but he just doesn't have the personality/aura (probably) to pull it off like Kevie did.

They do now. One of only two teams who could break the mantra that Australia will walk this tournament and they're no chance. It actually reduces the competitiveness of the World Cup. If winning the trophy is the "competition", and ultimately it is, this reduces the chances of more teams being able to compete for it, because instead of three reasonable hopes it pretty much limits it to two.
That's fair enough but we have seen times when a full strength Kiwis outfit either beats Aus once to tumble to Eng or completely implode in general.
Perhaps a squad of low key players might actually be a blessing.

And apart from that this Tonga team looks a lot stronger now, iirc Tonga had a great world cup a couple back?

adamkungl

Immortal
For a day or two. Someone other than Australia winning the tournament is far bigger and the chances of that happening are now pretty slim. What was a bigger story, Scotland drawing with NZ or NZ winning the WC? Which did more for the sport?

I dont think NZ winning does anything much for the sport personally. They were ranked #1 a mere 2 years ago and the NZRL doesn't have two 50c pieces to rub together. Like I said, they have far bigger issues.

beave

Coach
didn’t Kidwell come out last year after the game in October and say ‘whoops’ about leaving Lolo on the bench for the whole 2nd half??

Clarkent

Juniors
didn’t Kidwell come out last year after the game in October and say ‘whoops’ about leaving Lolo on the bench for the whole 2nd half??
Apparently lolo and kidwell don't have a really good relationship... Which is the reason why he left

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Kidwell is a horrible coach and a horrendous appointment. I hate being right sometimes.

Wonder how many other Kiwi players are going to come up with mystery injuries or heartwarming BS about wanting to represent smaller nations now?

Apparently Luke has been dropped from the squad too. Not that he was playing well, but the unavailable team is already starting to lock much stronger than the available team.

8. Bromwich
9. Luke (if true)
11. Harris
12. Proctor
13. Taumalolo

I dont think NZ winning does anything much for the sport personally. They were ranked #1 a mere 2 years ago and the NZRL doesn't have two 50c pieces to rub together. Like I said, they have far bigger issues.
And this will help will it? A strong Kiwis side on home soil vying for the trophy won't do much for the NZRL, the tournament and the game in general? Right. Let's see how Tonga goes and what it actually does for anything. I'm willing to bet their recruitment of these Kiwis will do little more than make them one of the better second tier teams instead of an average second tier team. They won't challenge in any serious way, certainly no more than Italy or Fiji or Samoa. Meanwhile NZ will probably lose any ability to challenge and we're left with two teams that can win it. At the end of the day the ultimate prize is all most media and the public will focus on for more than five minutes. If Australia wins it by 50 the whole game will be written off as per the stereotypes. A few hardcore fans being happy if Tonga are more competitive and maybe even beats a weak NZ side that's already been discounted as hopeless amounts to little.

adamkungl

Immortal
And this will help will it? A strong Kiwis side on home soil vying for the trophy won't do much for the NZRL, the tournament and the game in general? Right. Let's see how Tonga goes and what it actually does for anything. I'm willing to bet their recruitment of these Kiwis will do little more than make them one of the better second tier teams instead of an average second tier team. They won't challenge in any serious way, certainly no more than Italy or Fiji or Samoa. Meanwhile NZ will probably lose any ability to challenge and we're left with two teams that can win it. At the end of the day the ultimate prize is all most media and the public will focus on for more than five minutes. If Australia wins it by 50 the whole game will be written off as per the stereotypes. A few hardcore fans being happy if Tonga are more competitive and maybe even beats a weak NZ side that's already been discounted as hopeless amounts to little.

I think
- NZ were already up shit creek the second they appointed Kidwell, Taumololo is a footnote.
-The NZRL is ill-place to capatalise on success even if they somehow stumbled arse backwards into it. The domestic comp is 4th tier rubbish. They have no other RL events to engage the public. The Kiwis likely won't play at home again for another 2-3 years. And the Warriors are joining them in the race to irrelevancy.
- The success or failure of the event won't depend on (90% likely whatever NZ does) Australia not winning it. There are better stories and better upsets than NZ beating Australia again. Yes I think Tonga beating NZ will get more publicity than NZ beating Australia.

Last edited:

Burns

First Grade
If England can, if England can just win this once in the opener. We'll have the most unpredictable tournament.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
If England can, if England can just win this once in the opener. We'll have the most unpredictable tournament.

Agreed … if England wins the opener, it's on for young and old. Come on England!

ALSO, if England don't win and Oz tops its pool, it will play the 3rd-place getter in Pool B in the Q/Fs: so likely either NZ, Samoa or Tonga … all 3 should at least give Oz a game …

ALSO ON THE BRIGHT SIDE, the Jason Taumalolo rubbish does at least provide more publicity for the RLWC !

adamkungl

Immortal
Agreed … if England wins the opener, it's on for young and old. Come on England!

ALSO, if England don't win and Oz tops its pool, it will play the 3rd-place getter in Pool B in the Q/Fs: so likely either NZ, Samoa or Tonga … all 3 should at least give Oz a game …

ALSO ON THE BRIGHT SIDE, the Jason Taumalolo rubbish does at least provide more publicity for the RLWC !

The squad announcements so far have been great publicity. Only a few days in and a heap of stories.

I think
- NZ were already up shit creek the second they appointed Kidwell, Taumololo is a footnote.
-The NZRL is ill-place to capatalise on success even if they somehow stumbled arse backwards into it. The domestic comp is 4th tier rubbish. They have no other RL events to engage the public. The Kiwis likely won't play at home again for another 2-3 years. And the Warriors are joining them in the race to irrelevancy.
- The success or failure of the event won't depend on (90% likely whatever NZ does) Australia not winning it. There are better stories and better upsets than NZ beating Australia again. Yes I think Tonga beating NZ will get more publicity than NZ beating Australia.
Then you're kidding yourself. This NZ side will now be written off as substandard and losing to anyone will be expected, even second tier teams. And what happens when they still beat Tonga because Tonga still has no spine of any note? It's lose-lose. The NZRL doesn't get home games and when it does you're happy for them to get nothing out of them so they have nothing at all. And you're also happy for Tonga to contribute to that despite them NEVER playing at home and having NO domestic players.

some11

Referee
I wonder if Kiwi players could do what some Olympians do and represent themselves if the current environment is so toxic.

Start their own team.

adamkungl

Immortal
Then you're kidding yourself. This NZ side will now be written off as substandard and losing to anyone will be expected, even second tier teams. And what happens when they still beat Tonga because Tonga still has no spine of any note? It's lose-lose. The NZRL doesn't get home games and when it does you're happy for them to get nothing out of them so they have nothing at all. And you're also happy for Tonga to contribute to that despite them NEVER playing at home and having NO domestic players.

The NZ side already was substandard.
Taumololo playing against NZ will generate as much, if not more interest, than playing for them.

The NZRL and International Rugby League does not depend on NZ having a small chance on beating Australia.

adamkungl

Immortal
Again, if your sole criteria for the WC being successful is the Roos not winning then you're gonna be in for a bad time.

Burns

First Grade
Again, if your sole criteria for the WC being successful is the Roos not winning then you're gonna be in for a bad time.
We can dream can’t we? ;)

Edit: Thinking about this more. If Australia had a similar injury crisis at NZ and had only say, Smith available out of the usual crew - and somehow failed to make the Semis - I wonder how much attention the Semi and Final would receive? Would the media/fans pay attention?

I don’t think we’ve had a major tournament in Australia (Asian Cup, Rugby World Cup) were Australia failed to make the Final.

All completely hypothetical, and won’t happen, just me putting out some idle thoughts.

Last edited: