What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marketing and promotion

morningstar

Juniors
I completely agree there needs to be more balance, but the money men have got involved and they see things differently.

They want the "best" (ergo Australian based) players filling the squads as they think this recognition equals more ratings, tickets sold, media and sponsorship. It does nothing for me, I much prefer the story of the local bloke who has discovered our fledgling sport, fallen in love with it and dedicated himself to representing his country on the world stage.

Kow-towing to Tonga on the 4 domestic in each 24 in 2008 and unlimited nation swapping in lieu of one nation per world cup cycle was a massive mistake in my view.

It will take time but eventually this lack of home grown development will bite the heritage teams in the arse and they will be overtaken by the Canadas, Serbias and Jamaicas out there.

Think Aus & NZ might be pushing for a rethink on the unlimited nation swapping at the next RLIF meeting following this weeks embarrassment too.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The international scene basically reset and restarted at the turn of this century following the disasterous 2000 WC. Most nations development started in earnest after this period. So although we have a WC history stretching back to the 1950's, this is technically the games third modern world cup. That being the case, it takes time to build and as we have seen since 2008:

- The game develop incredibly in Serbia and Lebanon with their main focus being on the WC
- Italy arrive on the international scene
- The Pacific Islands play more tests and have access to higher level players than they did pre 2008
- Each cup has made a little more money than the last - this one is set to continue the trend
- Each cup has had less media bashing (slightly)

Things are happening and they will continue to happen. We all know that our ideal scenario is a WC full of nations where the vast majority of players were born in the nation they represent and were initially developed in that country's domestic league before being recruited into the pro ranks but I think for now we have to accept where we are at.

I do agree BTW that there should be a minimum standard of domestic activity for a nation to even be in the world cup. If they don't have a domestic league and other KPI's set by the RLIF in place then they should not have full membership to the RLIF and therefore not be able to play in WC qualifiers or the tournament proper.

adamkungl

Immortal
I do agree BTW that there should be a minimum standard of domestic activity for a nation to even be in the world cup. If they don't have a domestic league and other KPI's set by the RLIF in place then they should not have full membership to the RLIF and therefore not be able to play in WC qualifiers or the tournament proper.

There is a minimum standard for Affiliate membership for the RLEF and RLIF, which I believe is the minimum requirement to enter qualification.
It's just kind of ignored for Scotland. I suspect the RLIF is loathe to actively reduce the number of member nations given they are pushing for Sport Accord recognition.

3. Conduct regular 13-a-side rugby league Competitions with:
a) Minimum 4 senior teams
b) Player registration system

4. Evidence that a Youth or Junior Development Programme is in place.

adamkungl

Immortal
Btw Scotland is a Full Member and there is no way they fulfill this

5. Conduct regular rugby league competitions within the country – competition is defined as a 13-a-side league competition played under International Laws of rugby league over a minimum of a 10-week period.
a) Minimum 8 open age teams each playing a minimum of 6 regular season matches, not including play-offs
b) Minimum 4 open age reserve division teams each playing a minimum of 3 regular season matches, not including play-offs
c) Minimum six-team junior club (or school) competition with each team playing a minimum of four regular season matches, not including play-offs. The age range of the competition may be anything from U14 to U18, with the six named teams all being of the same age category.
d) At least 500 registered participants (players, coaches and match officials)

morningstar

Juniors
68 less tickets to worry about for the opener...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/enterta...7/news-story/ba62e76cf0c248c9b3f59f8aebab5132

The Herald Sun and the Rugby League World Cup 2017 are offering 34 lucky children (and their guardian’s) the chance to win a money can’t buy sporting experience.

Prize includes:

• A ticket for an 8 to 12 year old child and guardian to the Australia Vs England opening match of the RLWC2017 on Friday October 27.

• Each child receives a uniform to wear on the pitch – t-shirt, shorts, socks.

• Plus the children will walk out onto the pitch with the world’s Best Rugby League players & stand on the pitch for the national anthems.

Please note, in order to enter, all potential winners must be available at the following times:

Friday 27/10/17 – match day

4.30pm - MEET FOR REHEARSAL

5pm - REHEARSALS

5.45pm – 7.15pm - FREE TIME

7.15pm - MEET TO GET CHANGED INTO RUGBY LEAGUE GEAR

7.35pm - MOVE INTO STADIUM

7.50pm - STANDBY BACK OF TUNNEL

8pm - GAME STARTS

Emu01

Juniors
Has channel 7 had any ads in prime time yet? I don’t watch tv now the footy season is over.. Newspapers are having stories every day.

I suppose when the teams start to arrive the hype will increase then.

Billythekid

First Grade
Has channel 7 had any ads in prime time yet? I don’t watch tv now the footy season is over.. Newspapers are having stories every day.

I never watch channel 7. It has been getting regular stories on the news though.

morningstar

Juniors
Pre game events planned in each of the Australia host cities...

http://www.nrl.com/rlwc-unveils-league-of-giants/tabid/10874/newsid/113853/default.aspx

The unveiling of the League of Giants at Circular Quay has kicked off a series of 2017 Rugby League World Cup city activations around Australia.

Each of the eight Australian host cities will celebrate RLWC2017 with local activations and events in the lead up to and during the tournament.

In addition to the city activations, the 14 participating RLWC2017 nations will take part in community activities, including rugby league clinics, school visits, unique host city experiences and much more.

Among the activations being used by the cities to coincide with World Cup matches are:

MELBOURNE

• League of Giants appearing in four unique locations including Federation Square, Queensbridge Square, Melbourne Rectangular Stadium and Harbour Esplanade

getuid

• The Arts Centre spire, Melbourne Star, RMIT, Rectangular Stadium, Melbourne Town Hall, Bolte Bridge will all be lit up with red and yellow lights

• Melbourne’s iconic laneways will have have a bespoke installation

CANBERRA

• League of Giants appearing in two unique locations - Canberra Stadium and Gareema Place

• A player signing session at Canberra Centre ahead of the Australia-France match

• Canberra Buses will have a RLWC2017 theme with scripted messages and bunting

BRISBANE

• League of Giants appearing in two unique locations - Reddacliffe Place & Brisbane Stadium

• A RLWC2017 Fan Fest will be held in King George’s Square leading into the Final with all day activities and live entertainment on the Friday night

• Red and yellow lights will splash across Brisbane buildings including the Story Bridge, Roma St Parklands, Kurilpa Bridge, Victoria Bridge, Reddacliffe Place, Brisbane Sign and Brisbane Convention Centre & Exhibition Centre

SYDNEY

• League of Giants appearing in two unique locations – Sydney Football Stadium and Pitt St Mall

• Lebanon opening training session at Belmore Oval

CAIRNS

• The iconic Cairns Lagoon’s fish sculpture will be dressed in team jerseys of those nations visiting

• Big screen on the Esplanade will create mini live site to broadcast other games for locals

• Cairns Library and key CBD streets will be lit up at night with red and yellow lights

TOWNSVILLE

• Street art project by local aerosol artist behind the Seaview Hotel

• James Cook University will host a Pep Rally with Team USA

• Four teams will attend a fan day at The Strand Night Markets

PERTH

• Perth CBD is set to welcome the teams in style with thousands expected to turn out for the official welcome at Forrest Place

DARWIN

• Street art mural featuring Northern Territory RLWC2017 star Will Chambers

• Opportunity to meet the quarter-final teams in Darwin Mall

RLWC2017 Chief Operating Officer Maria Sykes said: "The world’s best are coming to Australia for the Rugby League World Cup and they’ve got some awesome new team-mates - 14 larger than life giant rugby league players designed to surprise and delight.

"From Samoa to the USA, Lebanon to Wales, France to New Zealand, each of these massive units will represent one of the fourteen participating nations in the World Cup.

"Throughout the tournament, the League of Giants will make a huge impact on fans as you get up close and personal with these legends in Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney and Brisbane."

Lebanon stars Robbie Farah and Michael Lichaa were on hand for the unveiling of the League of Giants ahead of the Cedars' RLWC2017 matches at Sydney Football Stadium against England on 4 November and Australia on 11 November.

"The Lebanese people are very passionate so I am sure they will turn up in numbers with their flags, and they will be singing and dancing so it will be a great atmosphere," Farah said.

"We are in a tough group with Australia, England and France but having the support of the Lebanese people will really drive us."

The NRL social media department is doing its bit. The f**ktards.

The good thing is they're copping a pasting for it, especially on Twitter.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL social media department is doing its bit. The f**ktards.

The good thing is they're copping a pasting for it, especially on Twitter.

Unbelievable, ideal opportunity to piggy back off the World Cup to increase interest in the nrl, especially in the PI's.

wittyfan

Referee

Are 7 showing it?