What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bellamy

T-Boon

Coach
I bet Bellamy retires when Smith does. Not having Smith around was the reason he stank so bad as an Origin coach and he ran from that job to put a lid on the truth. He has been very fortunate at club level.

ouryear

Juniors
I bet Bellamy retires when Smith does. Not having Smith around was the reason he stank so bad as an Origin coach and he ran from that job to put a lid on the truth. He has been very fortunate at club level.
Yep, Won 2 origin matches from 9.
Horrible.

One of the childish reasons he gave when he ran from the job was he could no longer coach against Smith, Cronk and Slater.

How sweet.

Daley did better, but some want to hang Daley out to dry while they bow and praise the great Craig Bellamy.

Unfathomable.

Last edited:

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Yep, Won 2 origin matches from 9.
Horrible.

One of the childish reasons he gave when he ran from the job was he could no longer coach against Smith, Cronk and Slater.

Awwww, how sweet. (Puke)

Daley did better, but some want to hang Daley out to dry while they bow and praise the great Craig Bellamy.

Unfathomable.

I think origin coaching and club coaching are very different ball games. Club coaching you have to get the best out of all your players for 26 rounds + finals where as in origin you need them to fire for 3 games a year.

I think origin coaching requires a much more ruthless approach with not as much player-coach connection. Where alternatively club football is all about player-coach relationships and the way the storm players talk about Bellamy you can just tell they love the guy.

I actually think you make some good points though. He is very much unproven outside of the storm with his 3 key players. I would LOVE to see him coach a different team before he retires just to prove that he is capable of doing so. Otherwise you're seen as a one-trick-pony coach aren't you? Whereas that old fart Bennett has been around everywhere so has a bit more of a claim on his win percentage. Interesting debate though. Paul Green and Brad Arthur are my next two picks for future supercoaches. Get your hands on them!

ouryear

Juniors
Time to talk about some of our own good coaches! This just goes from 1921-1998,
Up until the joint venture started.

Changas record at almost 60% post golden era, 1972 -1976 is a great effort as a player coach.

Ken Kearney 80% winning record across
7 years......that's magic...that's greatness!!

Norm Provan 76% winning record,
across 5 years....more greatness!

And others.

And they are OURS!!

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/teams/st-george-dragons/coaches.html?ord=player_dob

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
On what basis is 2 Premierships from 13 campaigns considered a bad statistic? Relative to who or what exactly?
Relative to some blokes in the 60s and 70s when there was no salary cap, no critical analysis of the game, training took place after work and the coaches main job was the keep the players off the piss for long enough to string 80minutes together!

The modern game is a completely different beat and incomparable to that of the 'glory days' in terms of workload on players, coaches and support staff. And in the modern era, Bellamy and Bennett are in a league of their own.

T-Boon

Coach
He is very much unproven outside of the storm with his 3 key players. I would LOVE to see him coach a different team before he retires just to prove that he is capable of doing so. Otherwise you're seen as a one-trick-pony coach aren't you?

Exactly. See Michael Hagan.
Looked like he would be a super coach if he had secret ingredient Andrew Johns for 10 years. Shifts to Parra and the truth comes out within 12 months.
Bellamy gets credit for developing Smith and the others but then you still dont know how crucial he was to their development.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Exactly. See Michael Hagan.
Looked like he would be a super coach if he had secret ingredient Andrew Johns for 10 years. Shifts to Parra and the truth comes out within 12 months.
Bellamy gets credit for developing Smith and the others but then you still dont know how crucial he was to their development.

LMAO.

True that Smith, Cronk and Slater (all of whom have played their entire careers under Bellamy) have all played a huge part in Melbourne's success.

However to suggest that they are the only component in Melbourne's success is so naive it's embarrassing.

Let's remember none of these guys debuted as future immortals. Cronk was a utility playing 2nd row in the QLD cup. Anyone who remembers Slater's early days will know he was highly error prone and inconsistent. These guys have all developed their games under Bellamy to become what they are today.

Under Bellamy Melbourne have developed one of, if not THE strongest cultures of success in the competition. They have become the ultimate professional machine. Bellamy keeps them ahead of the game. The rest of the teams imitate what they do.

Bellamy introduced the wrestle which for better or worse revolutionized the game in the modern era.

Bellamy was the first coach to bring AFL tactics and bump pads to training to teach his outside backs to leap and catch kicks with their hands above their heads as opposed to on their chests as had been the norm for nearly 100 years.

He consistently improves every single player that comes to the Storm.

Even the most casual fan can see that Melbourne are fitter, better drilled and more structured than the competition.

It wasn't that long ago people were questioning how successful Melbourne would be after Manly poached Matt Orford on a big money deal. That's when Bellamy handed the #7 to Cronk.

I hate the storm with a passion, but to question Bellamy's credentials as a coach or make some weak illogical comparison to Michael Hagan is nothing short of embarrassing.

Gippsy

Bench
Bellamy was always going to fail in origin. Did anyone really expect him to instruct players from opposition clubs on how to shut down the 3 star playmakers from his own club.

T-Boon

Coach
LMAO.

However to suggest that they are the only component in Melbourne's success is so naive it's embarrassing.

Of course Bellamy has played a part. The remaining question is, is he this good or is he a better than average coach who hit the jackpot with 4 or 5 superstars cherry picked by the most dubious recruitment officer of all time and kept miraculously together in a league that likes to split stars up.

Bellamy introduced the wrestle which for better or worse revolutionized the game in the modern era.

He didn't introduce wrestling in the sense of inventing it. I think he can take credit for taking wrestling to the disgraceful level it is now by being the first to hire wrestling coaches.
Thanks mate.

question Bellamy's credentials as a coach

The only time he has coached without Smith, Cronk, Slater he stank it up so bad he went running south.
He was terrible. So his credentials without S,C,S are, on the evidence, dubious.

or make some weak illogical comparison to Michael Hagan is nothing short of embarrassing.

The Hagan example shows that great players can make even a poor coach look good.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
Is there anyone who has coached Smith, Slater and Cronk that hasn't come out looking like a super coach?

Kevin Walters, Mal Meninga. Two legendary coaches.

They have also made a lot of coaches look average.
For example: Laurie Daley, Ricky Stuart and most of all Craig Bellamy.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Of course Bellamy has played a part. The remaining question is, is he this good or is he a better than average coach who hit the jackpot with 4 or 5 superstars cherry picked by the most dubious recruitment officer of all time and kept miraculously together in a league that likes to split stars up.

No offense but the majority of your post is too stupid to waste time responding too. However, I am interested in your suggestion of "4 or 5 superstars cherry picked". Please explain in way that is factual and makes sense.

ouryear

Juniors
On what basis is 2 Premierships from 13 campaigns considered a bad statistic? Relative to who or what exactly?

There is nothing bad about making the finals 13 times, although massively assisted through an extra one million buckeroos in some years.

The basis to say it is average and not great, you only need to compare bellamys record of winning 2 titles from 13 final campaigns... with the record of
JACK GIBSON, NORM PROVAN, CLIVE CHURCHILL AND WAYNE BENNETT.

They are the bench mark for great coaches. We were comparing bellamy with greatness, not just good.

That is the basis for saying bellamy is good. Not great.

Great coaches in comparison, have not lost 11 final series with just 2 title successes.

Life's Good

Coach
For me it’s really simple. Putting aside the quality of our squad I look at the games we faded and those we lost to teams that finished below us this year. That would not have happened under Bellamy. He wouldn’t stand for it whereas Mary would be like ‘it’s ok, we only need to win 3 from 4’. Whether Bellamy could win a comp with our squad is something I sure would like to see.

ouryear

Juniors
For me it’s really simple. Putting aside the quality of our squad I look at the games we faded and those we lost to teams that finished below us this year. That would not have happened under Bellamy. He wouldn’t stand for it whereas Mary would be like ‘it’s ok, we only need to win 3 from 4’. Whether Bellamy could win a comp with our squad is something I sure would like to see.
100 per cent agree LG.
Any good coach would bring that demand and culture.
And Bellamy is good, if not yet great.

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
Time to talk about some of our own good coaches! This just goes from 1921-1998,
Up until the joint venture started.

Changas record at almost 60% post golden era, 1972 -1976 is a great effort as a player coach.

Ken Kearney 80% winning record across
7 years......that's magic...that's greatness!!

Norm Provan 76% winning record,
across 5 years....more greatness!

And others.

And they are OURS!!

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/teams/st-george-dragons/coaches.html?ord=player_dob

Our year , you are quoting figures pre salary cap so surely they can't be used against present day figures.The Dragons were the richest club of their era only challenged by West in the early 60's. As for Provan & Kearney as coaches at other clubs , their records were quite ordinary. A coaches greatness for me is turning a ordinary player into a very good one and this is something that Bellamy , like Gibson, does constantly.

Reactions: jak