What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JLT Sheffield Shield 2017/18

TheParraboy

Staff member
Kicks off within a week Oct 26th

Comp is into two parts

Oct 26- Dec 3
then
Feb 8 - March 14

FINAL is on March 23rd 2018

I remember when the poms beat us in the ashes back in 2011/12. We had just got spanked in India, got home and decided we needed a 19 man squad for the first test. We picked 3 spinners Hauritz, Beer and Doherty in that squad. I knew then and there not only was the preparation piss poor, but WTF which home nation picks a squad of 19 with the 1st test a week and a half away!!!! The signs and signals were obvious. Who can remember Doug Bollinger being picked for Adelaide with hardly any proper preparation, was struggling to get over 125k/m. The highlight of the series for mine was Peter "the magnificent" Siddles hatrick in the 1st test which ended in a draw. We got clouted 3-1 thereafter

Now today, I like to think we will be far better prepared (most test players will have 2-3 of these Shield games behind them) but more importantly we pick a squad of 12 worthy of the baggy green. For mine the No 6 and No 7 spots are up for grabs

Blues play SA in Adelaide on Oct 27 a D/N game
Their 2nd hit out is at Hurstville oval vs WA

The full draw

http://www.cricket.com.au/series/jlt-sheffield-shield-2017-18/Z5VeQufr9Uiv5D3h811yGg

RockWheel

Bench
I agree, it sucks.

Why change a system that worked for so long???
i didn't have a problem getting rid of first innings point; there has been a lot less draws in recent years. 6 points for a win, 1 point for a draw is fine. these bonus points is f**king convoluted. nsw have missed the final in a few recent seasons even though they've had the best win-draw-loss record.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Pat Howard brought the points system in, try not to puke reading this article

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/749837.html

June 3, 2014

The introduction of bonus points has been championed by Cricket Australia's team performance manager Pat Howard, following last season's encouragement to curators to prepare drier pitches after a trend towards grassy, result-oriented strips in preceding summers.

"The Australian Team Performance Review asked us to look at ways to improve and that's what we're doing; we want to mirror the style international cricket is played and see results," Howard said. "We see these alterations to the points system as complementing the work we did with curators over the last 12 months to ensure there are fewer sporting wickets and an even contest between bat and ball.

"As recently as this month, the new national selector [Rod Marsh] highlighted a national issue with batting and therefore it is a necessity to continue to get the balance between bat and ball closer. Ultimately, we want our batsmen scoring plenty of runs and bowlers taking wickets with the game played in an entertaining and attacking style, but pushed to the limit.

"Some may ask why then we're rewarding a drawn match now and that's simply because we want teams being rewarded for showing some real fight when it's needed on the last day, just like Test cricket. We are aware that bonus points and first-innings points do not exist in Test cricket, therefore this is about the style of play in the first innings. Both teams can get points, not just one team in the first innings. The team that wins the game will be well rewarded."

TheParraboy

Staff member
Sheffield Shield points system
Outright win: 6 points (no change)

Draw: 1 point (previously 0)

1st innings win: 0 points (previously 2)

Bonus batting

First 100 overs: .01 for every run above 200

Example: 350 runs in the first 100 overs = 1.5 points. Batting points are uncapped until 100 overs

Bonus bowling

First 100 overs: 0.5 points awarded at fall of fifth wicket, seventh wicket and ninth wicket

Example: 8 wickets in first 100 overs = 1 point. Bowling points capped at 1.5

After first 100 overs, no further bonus points available to either team

TIGER14

Bench
NSW vs WA at Hurstville.

Ist Innings 5/980dec
2nd Innings 999
2nd Innings 4/670

Match Drawn.

How Hurstville qualifies for any form of State cricket I'll never know.
The ground is ridiculously small. Defensive shots fly out of the ground and land on Dora street.
Drummoyne would have been a far better option if the SCG was unavailable.

Last edited:
The ground is ridiculously small. Defensive shots flow out of the ground and land on Dora street.

My U10s have a 40m boundary from the batter's stumps.

I'd hazard a guess it's larger than Hurstville.

TheParraboy

Staff member
The ground is ridiculously small. Defensive shots flow out of the ground and land on Dora street.

Good point

No scheduled SCG Shield games this year

but a few from February

TIGER14

Bench
My U10s have a 40m boundary from the batter's stumps.

I'd hazard a guess it's larger than Hurstville.

What would be third slip at most grounds is close enough to the fence to be third man at Hurstville.

The velodrome makes Hurstville a shit ground for watching games too.

King hit

Coach
The ground is ridiculously small. Defensive shots fly out of the ground and land on Dora street.

What about Blacktown?

What would be third slip at most grounds is close enough to the fence to be third man at Hurstville.

The velodrome makes Hurstville a shit ground for watching games too.

I was there for the CAXI ODDI the other week.

Horrendous.

This would have a larger circumference:

Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 7.42.26 pm.png

TIGER14

Bench
I was there for the CAXI ODDI the other week.

Horrendous.

This would have a larger circumference:

View attachment 16005

Apparently it's been voted best Sydney Grade Cricket ground 3 years in a row. I was wondering how this is possible then realised it's voted on by Umpires. They probably just like it because the boundaries are so close they have a clear view of them from where they stand in the middle.

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/3901503/hurstville-oval-named-best-cricket-ground-in-sydney/

TheParraboy

Staff member
March 14th 2018 - NSW v the dirty canetoads (last game before the final)

Played at the greatest suburban cricket ground on the planet

The great, North Dalton Park Wollongong :sunglasses:

Latest posts