What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just how bad are wales ?.

yakstorm

First Grade
I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Ireland and USA get pumped by the Kumuls in Port Moresby either.

These teams aren't used to playing in such high temperatures and high humidity to begin with. Throw in a hostile home crowd and what looks like the best Kumul side in history, and it's no surprise what happened to Wales today.

ULYSSES

Juniors
On todays performance the KUMULS will flog the USA. Hopefully Ireland have some ability. As an ex resident of PNG I will be cheering the Kumuls on.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Png just pounding wales at the moment. I've heard about welsh juniors beating English teams of late, let's hope we can stop them from leaving league for union, because God they need some help. Most qld cup teams would belt this welsh team.
If the Queensland Cup players are the same standard as Andrew Gay and Matt Seamark then I doubt it.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Ireland and USA get pumped by the Kumuls in Port Moresby either.

These teams aren't used to playing in such high temperatures and high humidity to begin with. Throw in a hostile home crowd and what looks like the best Kumul side in history, and it's no surprise what happened to Wales today.
Tipping Ireland to flog Wales and possibly beat PNG to be honest. The Wales team only had 3 first grade players and quite a few guys from the English third tier.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Tipping Ireland to flog Wales and possibly beat PNG to be honest. The Wales team only had 3 first grade players and quite a few guys from the English third tier.

I don't know much about this Irish team, but I hope they put up a fight at least. If I were wales I'd be putting everything I have into that under 17 team that beat England I think it was ?, try and get them to professional clubs as fast as possible.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I don't know much about this Irish team, but I hope they put up a fight at least. If I were wales I'd be putting everything I have into that under 17 team that beat England I think it was ?, try and get them to professional clubs as fast as possible.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/remarkable-welsh-revolution-sees-17-13615294

The thing about Wales is that their best players (who are all missing from this tournament) aren't heritage players, they are actually Welsh. Ireland and Scotland can put out stronger teams at World Cups because they call on a lot of strong heritage players like Danny Brough but Wales really do develop their own players and have strong juniors, it's a shame most of them are unavailable here.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/remarkable-welsh-revolution-sees-17-13615294

The thing about Wales is that their best players (who are all missing from this tournament) aren't heritage players, they are actually Welsh. Ireland and Scotland can put out stronger teams at World Cups because they call on a lot of strong heritage players like Danny Brough but Wales really do develop their own players and have strong juniors, it's a shame most of them are unavailable here.

Make sure the dirty ruh ruh boys don't steal them. Get them into professional superleague clubs, why can't they take the next step if they beating the English juniors ?.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Make sure the dirty ruh ruh boys don't steal them. Get them into professional superleague clubs, why can't they take the next step if they beating the English juniors ?.
WRL put schools pathways in place a couple of years ago when Crusaders left Super League, they are only just starting to come through with real strong juniors now reaching u16s/u17s level. Before that it was really just the odd talented kid getting picked up from RU. The other thing is that developing players doesn't mean success at World Cup level, PNG is probably 90% PNG born and developed players but they would still struggle to compete with teams like Samoa and Tonga which are full of ready-made NRL stars.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
WRL put schools pathways in place a couple of years ago when Crusaders left Super League, they are only just starting to come through with real strong juniors now reaching u16s/u17s level. Before that it was really just the odd talented kid getting picked up from RU. The other thing is that developing players doesn't mean success at World Cup level, PNG is probably 90% PNG born and developed players but they would still struggle to compete with teams like Samoa and Tonga which are full of ready-made NRL stars.
Png are now better then fiji and Samoa in my opinion. All because of the hunters entering into the qld cup , which is a good standard, but it just adds a pathway for local kids, plus adds a professionalism to more players that is just lacking in these NH teams, from what I can see. Png have come along way trust me. They will have an nrl side soon. They have 8 million league made population to pick from too, it's a sleeping giant.

But an interesting Link you posted about wales, good to read, hopefully they get a better grassroots system that keeps producing players.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Png are now better then fiji and Samoa in my opinion. All because of the hunters entering into the qld cup , which is a good standard, but it just adds a pathway for local kids, plus adds a professionalism to more players that is just lacking in these NH teams, from what I can see. Png have come along way trust me. They will have an nrl side soon. They have 8 million league made population to pick from too, it's a sleeping giant.

But an interesting Link you posted about wales, good to read, hopefully they get a better grassroots system that keeps producing players.
PNG don't have 17 first grade players in their team yet, until they have that they won't compete with the likes of Samoa and Fiji. Like I said, Wales only had 3 first graders today and two of them are young rookies, a lot of the players they've brought to this comp play in the English third tier. Ireland will have more or less 1-17 who are at least fringe first graders so that should be a pretty decent marker for PNG.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
PNG don't have 17 first grade players in their team yet, until they have that they won't compete with the likes of Samoa and Fiji. Like I said, Wales only had 3 first graders today and two of them are young rookies, a lot of the players they've brought to this comp play in the English third tier. Ireland will have more or less 1-17 who are at least fringe first graders so that should be a pretty decent marker for PNG.
Png beat up on fiji a few weeks ago in that 40 min trail with Australia. In 40 mins they beat a strong Fijian team 10-0. Png have come along 10 fold in the last 4 years, I only see them going from strength to strength.

I've got Irish blood so hopefully they do the country proud lol. It's a shame wales don't have the depth to field a decent team yet. But hopefully the exposure keeps kids playing, and maybe some will dream about playing in games like today.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
And some think I'm delusional but I still claim the second tier comps in Australia some of those better teams could match some lower level superleague clubs. Not trying to insult anyone but reality is reality.

geordie_saint

Juniors
Wales are missing some experienced players like Flower, Dudson, White, R Evans plus Olds, Wellington etc who would be first choice. You could tell they'd really struggle today with only Kopzack and Knowles SL players in the pack. Long hard road for the Welsh but they are on it and slowly moving forwards.

yakstorm

First Grade
And some think I'm delusional but I still claim the second tier comps in Australia some of those better teams could match some lower level superleague clubs. Not trying to insult anyone but reality is reality.

Dillusional, no. Some of the top Qld Cup & NSW Cup teams would give some of the lower NRL teams a run and possibly best some of them, which isn't a surprise.

Some clubs, like Penrith, have an abundance of talent at the moment which, if at a club like Newcastle in 2016/17, would have been in first grade.

siv

First Grade
Honestly America might beat wales by the games today. It's a shame I thought the NH teams were making progress :frowning2:

NH teams are making progress

But teams with players in the NRL have also progressed.

The % increase in the SH has out stripped the rest of the RL World

These NRL players are bigger, fitter and stronger

What you are seeing is a similar impact of thegrowth of the Islander community is having in Junior RL across NSW

Force

Juniors
Wales, just like the US were utter shite! Theres no two ways about it (well at least USA put up more of a fight than Wales, be it just). It makes a mockery of their World ranking to be that highly ranked and get pumped by 50. Yes, you can use the heat, humidity and conditions as an excuse but they didnt even look like scoring so those excuses cant justify not firing a shot. They were poor and the US not much better. I hope Ireland and a depleted Scotland put up better fights than these two.

Latest posts